Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: List of tasks to do when moving to the UK  (Read 1555 times)

• Liked: 18
List of tasks to do when moving to the UK
« on: November 23, 2017, 09:08:37 AM »
So my wife has been given her spouse visa and will be here before Christmas.

Has anyone compiled a list of tasks that should be done when moving to the UK? Or more specifically, moving away from the US.

Things like sorting out a postal forwarding address, tax form updates, healthcare, rental agreements, etc etc. We will be compiling a list over the next few days (we have a basic one but when we were waiting for so long we thought it was bad luck to compile a full list).

TIA.

• Liked: 55
Re: List of tasks to do when moving to the UK
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 05:01:07 AM »
So my wife has been given her spouse visa and will be here before Christmas.

Has anyone compiled a list of tasks that should be done when moving to the UK? Or more specifically, moving away from the US.

Things like sorting out a postal forwarding address, tax form updates, healthcare, rental agreements, etc etc. We will be compiling a list over the next few days (we have a basic one but when we were waiting for so long we thought it was bad luck to compile a full list).

TIA.

I need help with this too

• Liked: 537
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 10:57:55 AM »
Not really...

I didn't have a lot of things to change.

Make sure any US accounts you have get sent to an address you trust or turn on paperless. Most can't deal with UK addresses, letters in the post code and 6 characters long.

Let your US accounts know you're going to the UK, kind of like when you visit so you don't have card issues. My banks could only do this for 6 months at a time.

Deal with health insurance stuff.

Be ready for your taxes if at all possible.

401k/retirement stuff.

Make sure you've got anything perishable that travels well that you'll miss.
-deoderant isn't the same here
-some make up/beauty brands don't exist here, stock up
-ranch
Etc

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 55
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 04:28:38 PM »
Not really...

I didn't have a lot of things to change.

Make sure any US accounts you have get sent to an address you trust or turn on paperless. Most can't deal with UK addresses, letters in the post code and 6 characters long.

Let your US accounts know you're going to the UK, kind of like when you visit so you don't have card issues. My banks could only do this for 6 months at a time.

Deal with health insurance stuff.

Be ready for your taxes if at all possible.

401k/retirement stuff.

Make sure you've got anything perishable that travels well that you'll miss.
-deoderant isn't the same here
-some make up/beauty brands don't exist here, stock up
-ranch
Etc

The deodorant one is huge I hate aerosols and thats mostly what they have there

• Liked: 3589
List of tasks to do when moving to the UK
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 04:31:30 PM »

I have no trouble buying non-aerosol deodorants in the UK - there are plenty of roll-ons and some stick deodorants.

I’m British and in the 20-odd years I’ve been using deodorant, I’ve never bought an aerosol one. I used roll-on for the first few years and have been using stick deodorant (Dove) for about the last 12 years or so. I do tend to stock up on US Dove stick deodorants when I visit the US though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 05:12:02 PM »
Following ... my house will still be on the market when I move (my realtor is expecting a quick sale, but still takes time!)

I'm worried about mail. I have so many outstanding medical bills I'll be paying them for the next year and no doctors offices can handle U.K. addresses. I envy anyone who didn't have much to tie up in the US when they moved!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 05:34:51 PM »

I just mean that the ingredients are different between the US and the UK. My US brand of deodorant works so much better than a similar UK one, but you do what you gotta do! And I use the UK one cause I don't go back very often.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 716
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 06:31:35 PM »
Following ... my house will still be on the market when I move (my realtor is expecting a quick sale, but still takes time!)

I'm worried about mail. I have so many outstanding medical bills I'll be paying them for the next year and no doctors offices can handle U.K. addresses. I envy anyone who didn't have much to tie up in the US when they moved!

The US post office will forward your mail for a year to your UK address. I think that you have to physically go into a post office to get the form for an international forwarding address.

http://faq.usps.com/

If you are moving to an International address outside of the United States, you will need to fill out the same Change of Address (COA) form (PS Form 3575) that is filed for a domestic move at your local Post Office™. If you forget to submit a COA prior to moving to an International address, you can write a letter to your old Post Office in the United States and the Post Office now serving your new international address explaining the situation. Provide direction on how and where you need mail forwarded. The letter should also include as many details asked on the PS Form 3575 (Change of Address Form) as possible."
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 170
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 07:08:40 PM »
Might be useful to appoint a power of attorney?

My parents' accountant still handles my taxes. Currently, IRS say I haven't paid my taxes (a couple hundred bucks) despite having cashed the cheque my ad sent!!! But they won't discuss the matter with my father. It's been a faff, but the power of attorney for the IRS docs were sent today!! Hopefully that will sort the issue!
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 09:10:44 PM »
The US post office will forward your mail for a year to your UK address. I think that you have to physically go into a post office to get the form for an international forwarding address.

Thank you :) Only issue is the UK address will change shortly after moving ... hopefully they accept changes to the forwarding address during that year.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 09:14:50 PM »
Thank you :) Only issue is the UK address will change shortly after moving ... hopefully they accept changes to the forwarding address during that year.

I expect they will. The UK post office also has forwarding although they charge a fee.

• Liked: 26
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 11:31:15 PM »
@durhamlad ... is this still the case? I'm having a bit of trouble finding this option. Thanks!

Biometrics: Fri., Feb. 02, 2018
Documents Rcvd email: Wed., Feb. 07, 2018
Decision Made email: Fri., Mar. 16
Business Days: 28
Documents Received: Mon., Mar. 19
Decision: Approved!

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 12:00:27 AM »
@durhamlad ... is this still the case? I'm having a bit of trouble finding this option. Thanks!
It is, you have to pick up the change of address package from the post office and put your new address in even though it only has US field names.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 09:05:31 AM »
It is, you have to pick up the change of address package from the post office and put your new address in even though it only has US field names.

Thanks for that info, it has been 18 months since we did it.

• Liked: 26
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 05:11:25 PM »
USPS have told me they will only forward Priority Mail items, so the average letter or birthday card that comes would not be forwarded.
Seems best to give everyone your new address &/or use a mail service like USGlobal.

Biometrics: Fri., Feb. 02, 2018
Documents Rcvd email: Wed., Feb. 07, 2018
Decision Made email: Fri., Mar. 16
Business Days: 28
Documents Received: Mon., Mar. 19
Decision: Approved!

Sponsored Links