Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Happy Thanksgiving!  (Read 1793 times)

• Liked: 676
Re: Happy Thanksgiving!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 11:26:30 PM »
Cute Kiddies!

Happy Thanksgiving, all!~

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 11:23:00 AM »
Oh yes, I also made chocolate pudding pie, pecan pie cheesecake, and pumpkin pie. Safe to say some of this food is going to work tomorrow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hello!

• Liked: 154
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 05:28:10 PM »
Hello!

Do you want me to post you some

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 10:55:50 AM »
Oh my gawd, you guys!  You know how sometimes when you have a plan, there's problem after hiccup after disaster?  This was not one of those times!  My Thanksgiving dinner isn't what I initially imagined, but that's because instead of surprising my husband with it late Friday night, I told him I was going to do it, and I let him know that I'd moved it from Friday to Sunday (the day after his interview), so we could relax a bit and properly enjoy it.  And then Sunday rolled around, and we decided rather than letting the turkey cook all day in the slow-cooker, we cooked it in the pizza oven!  Just look at it!

We ended up having everything come together perfectly... we had the turkey, roasted carrots, stuffing balls, mashed potatoes, pan-fried green beans, and we even had gravy and a bit of crispy skin!  I was nearly in tears of joy.  And my husband loves tasty food, so he was really pleased, too.

Also, the job interview sounds to have gone really well.  He was well-entertained, at least.  If anybody has played it, he said he felt like he was in The Stanley Parable, as he was directed down various corridors, from person to person, test to test.

The only downside is they said they will make their decisions (multiple positions were available), and we will know in 2 to 4 weeks, and that if selected, he could start any time in the next 12 months.  *headdesk*  But at least there's something, right?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 11:30:38 AM »
Do you want me to post you some

What's the pecan pie cheesecake like?  Could you post the recipe?

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 11:32:24 AM »
JF kimberley, I'm glad your turkey feast worked out, but what about actual pizza?  Have you done that yet?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 11:56:39 AM »
Wow, I'm drooling at your feast!!

Great news about the interview.  Nodding at the craziness of up to 12 months before starting.  Let's hope they pick him and he's offered a role ASAP!

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 12:56:36 PM »
JF kimberley, I'm glad your turkey feast worked out, but what about actual pizza?  Have you done that yet?

The Uuni turkey was a last-minute brainstorm just before we put the thing into the slow-cooker.  This was our first Uuni cook ever.  Not exactly typical of the "first cooks" that get tweeted to UuniHQ all the time, but we were really happy.  :)  Pizza will probably happen this upcoming weekend.  Now that we've tried the thing out, we know how well it works and how easy it is to control the temperature.  Suddenly, we have bought ourselves years of tolerating life without a kitchen.  We have an (outdoor) oven!  Bread is so happening!

Wow, I'm drooling at your feast!!

Great news about the interview.  Nodding at the craziness of up to 12 months before starting.  Let's hope they pick him and he's offered a role ASAP!

Thanks, KF!  We're assuming that they will fill the positions in order based on the combined scores of all the applicants (points awarded based on qualifications from the CV, the online screening test, the tests at the interview, subjective "interview points", etc.).  So hopefully, he charmed the heck out of them on Saturday, and will be one of the first called up. Hopefully.

I will say, he had to do a telephone role play thing, dealing with an angry caller... the fictional guy had booked some space for a wedding reception but the relationship broke down and the engagement was off, and he was calling to see about getting a refund of his non-refundable deposit.  My husband said that the conversation worked its way around to the "caller" saying, "So you're telling me I can't get my deposit back at all?"  And my husband replied, "Unfortunately, that is the nature of non-refundable deposits."  I mean, he's perfect for the civil service, right?!  I laughed so hard when he shared this with me.

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 01:27:31 PM »

I will say, he had to do a telephone role play thing, dealing with an angry caller... the fictional guy had booked some space for a wedding reception but the relationship broke down and the engagement was off, and he was calling to see about getting a refund of his non-refundable deposit.  My husband said that the conversation worked its way around to the "caller" saying, "So you're telling me I can't get my deposit back at all?"  And my husband replied, "Unfortunately, that is the nature of non-refundable deposits."  I mean, he's perfect for the civil service, right?!  I laughed so hard when he shared this with me.

"We will refund the refundable portion of your deposit immediately.  Unfortunately that will be £0". 

I thought of you on Saturday.  We went to Salisbury for a Thanksgiving meetup.   :)

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 01:37:43 PM »
"We will refund the refundable portion of your deposit immediately.  Unfortunately that will be £0". 

I thought of you on Saturday.  We went to Salisbury for a Thanksgiving meetup.   :)

Oooh, was it lovely?  I never actually reached out to the Salisbury-area ex-pats.  I was a bit pre-occupied with finding a house when we lived there.  I'm kind of glad, now, because I didn't get attached to people (outside our own village) before we left.  ...  Er, I assume it was an American thing?

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 01:41:43 PM »
Oooh, was it lovely?  I never actually reached out to the Salisbury-area ex-pats.  I was a bit pre-occupied with finding a house when we lived there.  I'm kind of glad, now, because I didn't get attached to people (outside our own village) before we left.  ...  Er, I assume it was an American thing?

Yes, it was an American thing and yes it was lovely.

Yeah, the expat thing is hard.  Two more local American friends recently announced they are moving.  As soon as I get close to someone, they seem to leave!  lol.  Fortunately I have a few different circles of friends, so some I can count on to remain local.   ;D

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2017, 02:34:36 PM »
Yes, it was an American thing and yes it was lovely.

Yeah, the expat thing is hard.  Two more local American friends recently announced they are moving.  As soon as I get close to someone, they seem to leave!  lol.  Fortunately I have a few different circles of friends, so some I can count on to remain local.   ;D

Living in a rural area like I do now, I won't have to worry about too many people moving in and then away again... That also means I won't be meeting too many Americans in my neck of the woods, either.  But if anybody does want to meet up, I'm just a few miles past the end of the M4.  ;)

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 04:04:19 PM »
Next to some very nice beaches.

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2017, 04:35:41 PM »
Next to some very nice beaches.

I can confirm this is true.  That was an added bonus.  :)

• Liked: 7
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2017, 07:35:49 PM »
Oh my gawd, you guys!  You know how sometimes when you have a plan, there's problem after hiccup after disaster?  This was not one of those times!  My Thanksgiving dinner isn't what I initially imagined, but that's because instead of surprising my husband with it late Friday night, I told him I was going to do it, and I let him know that I'd moved it from Friday to Sunday (the day after his interview), so we could relax a bit and properly enjoy it.  And then Sunday rolled around, and we decided rather than letting the turkey cook all day in the slow-cooker, we cooked it in the pizza oven!  Just look at it!

We ended up having everything come together perfectly... we had the turkey, roasted carrots, stuffing balls, mashed potatoes, pan-fried green beans, and we even had gravy and a bit of crispy skin!  I was nearly in tears of joy.  And my husband loves tasty food, so he was really pleased, too.

Also, the job interview sounds to have gone really well.  He was well-entertained, at least.  If anybody has played it, he said he felt like he was in The Stanley Parable, as he was directed down various corridors, from person to person, test to test.

The only downside is they said they will make their decisions (multiple positions were available), and we will know in 2 to 4 weeks, and that if selected, he could start any time in the next 12 months.  *headdesk*  But at least there's something, right?

24 April 13 - Married
29 April 13 - overnight Spouse Visa app. to NYC

Sponsored Links