Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Happy Thanksgiving!  (Read 1795 times)

• Liked: 7
Re: Happy Thanksgiving!
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2017, 07:36:52 PM »
Wow, that looks amazing! How do u make stuffing balls?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
24 April 13 - Married
29 April 13 - overnight Spouse Visa app. to NYC

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2017, 07:47:36 PM »
Wow, that looks amazing! How do u make stuffing balls?

Okay, this is going to make me look terrible:

I just used a box of Tesco garlic and herb stuffing mix.  Prepare it according to the package instructions, then roll it into balls and put them in the roasting pan with the turkey and veg for the final 30 minutes of roasting.

I have never in my life made stuffing "from scratch", and I didn't even like stuffing in the US, so it's all new to me.  But doing it this way (or maybe it's the fact that it's made for a UK palate), and it's tasty.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2017, 10:24:10 PM »
Okay, this is going to make me look terrible:

I just used a box of Tesco garlic and herb stuffing mix.  Prepare it according to the package instructions, then roll it into balls and put them in the roasting pan with the turkey and veg for the final 30 minutes of roasting.

I have never in my life made stuffing "from scratch", and I didn't even like stuffing in the US, so it's all new to me.  But doing it this way (or maybe it's the fact that it's made for a UK palate), and it's tasty.
My homemade stuffing is pretty easy, but long to describe - a couple days before thanksgiving break up a loaf of GF bread (may need a few extra days w/ wheat bread since it holds moisture), add dashes of dried poultry seasoning as you go. On the day you're making it, finely dice a small onion and a few pieces of celery, whatever looks about right for amount relative to bread (our loaves are small). Cook in a stick of butter until translucent then add a diced apple for a few more mins. Pour mixture over bread, stir, and then slowly stir in chicken or turkey stock until everything is coated but not too soggy. Cook in oven w/ turkey for about 45 mins to an hr. It's the best and was passed to me by my step dad :) (more bread = more seasoning & all ingredients)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 768
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2017, 10:44:27 PM »
My homemade stuffing is pretty easy, but long to describe - a couple days before thanksgiving break up a loaf of GF bread (may need a few extra days w/ wheat bread since it holds moisture), add dashes of dried poultry seasoning as you go. On the day you're making it, finely dice a small onion and a few pieces of celery, whatever looks about right for amount relative to bread (our loaves are small). Cook in a stick of butter until translucent then add a diced apple for a few more mins. Pour mixture over bread, stir, and then slowly stir in chicken or turkey stock until everything is coated but not too soggy. Cook in oven w/ turkey for about 45 mins to an hr. It's the best and was passed to me by my step dad :) (more bread = more seasoning & all ingredients)

That is how I was taught to make stuffing minus the apple. And we always used regular bread and dried it out just overnight. We threw it in the oven if it wasn't dried out enough. Plus I love caraway seed in my stuffing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2017, 11:01:49 PM »
That is how I was taught to make stuffing minus the apple. And we always used regular bread and dried it out just overnight. We threw it in the oven if it wasn't dried out enough. Plus I love caraway seed in my stuffing.

Ooh, never added caraway. I'll have to try that! Do you also use poultry seasoning? (I think it's a blend of sage, rosemary and a few others)

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2017, 11:03:14 PM »
Ooh, never added caraway. I'll have to try that! Do you also use poultry seasoning? (I think it's a blend of sage, rosemary and a few others)

Yes, poultry seasoning as well.  My mom was of Eastern European descent so that's probably where the caraway came from.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2017, 06:46:25 AM »
What's the pecan pie cheesecake like?  Could you post the recipe?

Sickly sweet I threw it out :( but I’ll find the recipe and post it.

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »
I just had a leftover-turkey sandwich!  Well, okay, I didn't have it on bread.  But all the ingredients were there.... turkey, cheese, mayo, tomatoes... nom!  I will have to insist on turkey dinner more often.  This has been the best Thanksgiving in years!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2017, 04:22:07 PM »
I just had a leftover-turkey sandwich!  Well, okay, I didn't have it on bread.  But all the ingredients were there.... turkey, cheese, mayo, tomatoes... nom!  I will have to insist on turkey dinner more often.  This has been the best Thanksgiving in years!

Cranberry sauce?  It’s GOT to have cranberry sauce!

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2017, 04:30:55 PM »
Cranberry sauce?  It’s GOT to have cranberry sauce!

I didn't have any on Sunday, so there wasn't any leftover.  I have let Thanksgiving down.

Actually, I chose not to have any... I don't eat it.  But now I'm really curious to try it.  So many people love it, it must be good.  Right?

Oh oh oh!  Plus!  Because our first pizza oven experience went so well, we started looking into cast iron cookware, and I bought two of these adorable mini-skillets and we're going to make individual bottomless pies in them.  Apple pie!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2017, 04:34:27 PM »
I didn't have any on Sunday, so there wasn't any leftover.  I have let Thanksgiving down.

Actually, I chose not to have any... I don't eat it.  But now I'm really curious to try it.  So many people love it, it must be good.  Right?

Oh oh oh!  Plus!  Because our first pizza oven experience went so well, we started looking into cast iron cookware, and I bought two of these adorable mini-skillets and we're going to make individual bottomless pies in them.  Apple pie!

Oh yum.

I just get the Ocean Spray in the jar.  It’s basically cranberry jelly.  Adds a nice tartness to the sandwich!

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2017, 04:36:18 PM »
Oh yum.

I just get the Ocean Spray in the jar.  It’s basically cranberry jelly.  Adds a nice tartness to the sandwich!

Jar?  Not tin?  But that means no tin rings...!  How do you cope?   :o

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2017, 04:36:24 PM »

Make your own cranberry sauce! So much better than store bought.

The only thing with cast iron cookware is to make sure you're not cooking anything acidic in it. I have to use ceramic because of iron overload problems and it works pretty well!

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2017, 04:36:39 PM »

I absolutely love cast iron. I'm sad I had to leave all of mine behind. I had quite the large collection of Dutch ovens, skillets, bacon press, grill pans, etc.

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2017, 04:38:51 PM »
Make your own cranberry sauce! So much better than store bought.

The only thing with cast iron cookware is to make sure you're not cooking anything acidic in it. I have to use ceramic because of iron overload problems and it works pretty well!

I've always been borderline anemic, so it's probably not a problem for me.  I'll watch for symptoms (having learned about too much iron when my friend couldn't tolerate her prenatal vitamins) and make changes if needed.  My husband is on his own.  :P

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab