Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Google Voice to port US number?  (Read 1728 times)

• Liked: 66
Google Voice to port US number?
« on: November 26, 2017, 05:20:20 PM »
Hello All!

I was wondering if any of you have used Google to port your US number when you moved. My husband and I really want to keep our US numbers alive and have a way for texts/voicemails to reach us (at least for the first few months). Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with using Google for this? Or another service perhaps?
Spouse Visa (Priority)

App Submitted Online: 18 Oct 2017
Biometrics + Docs Sent: 23 Oct 2017
Received in Sheffield email: 25 Oct 2017
Decision email: 20 Nov 2017 (18 BD)
Passport received: 22 Nov 2017 (APPROVED)
Travel to UK: 28 Dec 2017

FLR(m):
App Submitted Online: 08 July 2020
Biometrics submitted via IDV app: 7 Sept 2020
Approval: 19 Nov 2020

ILR (Priority):
App submitted: 19 Jan 2023
Biometrics: 8 Feb 2023
Approval: 8 Feb 2023

Citizenship:
App submitted: 28 July 2023
Biometrics: 17 Aug 2023
Approval: 27 Nov 2023
Ceremony: 27 Nov 2023

• Liked: 32
Re: Google Voice to port US number?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 01:30:40 AM »
I'm in the same boat! Someone recommended Google to me though I don't have any 1st hand experience. I've also read about a service called tossable digits that might work, but again, I haven't used that either.

Please report back on how you get on!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 66
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 05:00:08 PM »
I'm in the same boat! Someone recommended Google to me though I don't have any 1st hand experience. I've also read about a service called tossable digits that might work, but again, I haven't used that either.

Please report back on how you get on!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I’ll keep you posted on what happens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spouse Visa (Priority)

App Submitted Online: 18 Oct 2017
Biometrics + Docs Sent: 23 Oct 2017
Received in Sheffield email: 25 Oct 2017
Decision email: 20 Nov 2017 (18 BD)
Passport received: 22 Nov 2017 (APPROVED)
Travel to UK: 28 Dec 2017

FLR(m):
App Submitted Online: 08 July 2020
Biometrics submitted via IDV app: 7 Sept 2020
Approval: 19 Nov 2020

ILR (Priority):
App submitted: 19 Jan 2023
Biometrics: 8 Feb 2023
Approval: 8 Feb 2023

Citizenship:
App submitted: 28 July 2023
Biometrics: 17 Aug 2023
Approval: 27 Nov 2023
Ceremony: 27 Nov 2023

• Liked: 674
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 06:53:48 PM »
We use Callcentric.com.

It's $2.95 a month, and you can set it to go to a VOIP phone (no charge for incoming calls) or forward to another phone (pennies per call). I'd had them as our "home" phone service for years, and simply continued on when we moved overseas. Very happy with the service - plus you can set traps for telemarketers easily.  ;D

• Liked: 55
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 07:02:04 PM »
Hello All!

I was wondering if any of you have used Google to port your US number when you moved. My husband and I really want to keep our US numbers alive and have a way for texts/voicemails to reach us (at least for the first few months). Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with using Google for this? Or another service perhaps?

My husband and I use an app called magic jack that gives us a local number and my family is able to text and call us on there like normal, since not everyone in my family has I phone or Whats App. Although my 85 year old grandma uses whats app lol

• medici design interior spaces
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 01:06:34 PM »
Hello All!

It works perfectly for me. It costs me absolutely nothing.  Last year when I was in the States I needed to ring my solicitor in England. I put down a $10 deposit and Google charged my just 5 cents for the call.  Sound quality is better than international voice circuits.

One problem I did notice was using the service on my mobile phone.  I think Google detects your SIM card.  When I had my US Verizon SIM installed, it worked no problem over WiFi or data.  When I swapped it for my UK SIM, Google Voice wouldn't work.
Arrived UK as visitor 21 January 2017
Proposed 22 January
Solicitor applied fiancé visa online - June 23rd ish
Biometrics appt San Fran - 14th July
Passport arrived with solicitor - 17th July
'Box' package sent to Sheffield by solicitor same day - arrived 18th July
Arrived in Sheffield email - 19th July
Decision email received - 11th September (38bd)
Packaged collected - 11th September
Packaged delivered to Florida - 13th September
Arrived UK - 20th September
MARRIED - 01 November 2017

• Liked: 718
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 04:59:46 PM »
It works perfectly for me. It costs me absolutely nothing.  Last year when I was in the States I needed to ring my solicitor in England. I put down a $10 deposit and Google charged my just 5 cents for the call.  Sound quality is better than international voice circuits.

One problem I did notice was using the service on my mobile phone.  I think Google detects your SIM card.  When I had my US Verizon SIM installed, it worked no problem over WiFi or data.  When I swapped it for my UK SIM, Google Voice wouldn't work.

What is it like for incoming calls? 

I use Skype and have a US number which I provide to US institutions, and in particular for 2nd factor verification. The call comes in to my Skype app initially and if I don't answer within 30 seconds it rolls over to my UK mobile number. If I answer using Skype the incoming call is free, if I'm slow to pick up and it rolls to my mobile then it costs 2.3c / minute.

However, the service costs about $40/year so if Google Voice is free for incoming and works well then I am interested. (Outgoing US 800 Skype calls are free and I've used this feature a lot over the past few years particularly when I had to make several long calls when my US credit card had a load of fraudulent charges on it)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 05:00:54 PM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• medici design interior spaces
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 03:03:37 PM »
What is it like for incoming calls? 

I use Skype and have a US number which I provide to US institutions, and in particular for 2nd factor verification. The call comes in to my Skype app initially and if I don't answer within 30 seconds it rolls over to my UK mobile number. If I answer using Skype the incoming call is free, if I'm slow to pick up and it rolls to my mobile then it costs 2.3c / minute.

However, the service costs about $40/year so if Google Voice is free for incoming and works well then I am interested. (Outgoing US 800 Skype calls are free and I've used this feature a lot over the past few years particularly when I had to make several long calls when my US credit card had a load of fraudulent charges on it)

I have no trouble receiving incoming calls to my US Google number.  It rings on my laptop (or receives the text message).  If I have my US SIM installed in my phone, I can receive on it, too, when it's connected to WiFi.  The problem you'd have is receiving when you're out and about.
Arrived UK as visitor 21 January 2017
Proposed 22 January
Solicitor applied fiancé visa online - June 23rd ish
Biometrics appt San Fran - 14th July
Passport arrived with solicitor - 17th July
'Box' package sent to Sheffield by solicitor same day - arrived 18th July
Arrived in Sheffield email - 19th July
Decision email received - 11th September (38bd)
Packaged collected - 11th September
Packaged delivered to Florida - 13th September
Arrived UK - 20th September
MARRIED - 01 November 2017

• Liked: 68
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 04:13:20 PM »
Hey! I ported my number to Google Voice and I've been using it for the last 2 months or so and I love it! I keep my phone on silent pretty much all the time, so I miss the majority of calls that I get (they are 95% spam calls, which is why I keep it on silent), but it does ring through just like normal. I have the Google Voice app on my phone, I don't know if that's available for iPhones, but it's definitely in the Play store for Androids. I can't remember if I've used Voice while I've been out and about and off of my wi-fi, but I'm pretty sure I've used it with data as well.

I love it! I'm so glad I did it this way. I can still text people just like I used to and neither party is getting boned on charges for international texting. I can call my family in the US and it rings through just like a normal call. Flipping fantastic; highly recommend!
Type of Application: Settlement Spouse Visa (non priority)
Met Husband: 10 September 2015
Got married: 13 October 2017
Online application: 26 Nov 2017
Decision email received: 8 March 2018 (68 BD)
Passport received: 12 March 2018 - APPROVED!
Arrived in the UK: 31 March 2018
FLR(M) Extension Submitted: 15 September 2020
Submitted Documents and Biometrics via IDV: 8 October 2020
FLR(M) Approval: 30 December 2020
SET(M) Submitted: 15 July 2023
Submitted Docs & Biometrics: 10 August 2023
SET (M) Approved: 13 October 2023

Sponsored Links