Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: No Taxation without Representation!! Voting rights.  (Read 2548 times)

• Liked: 0
No Taxation without Representation!! Voting rights.
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:45:48 AM »
I'm married to a UK national and have lived in the UK for 11 years.  I am a permanent resident (ILR).  My gripe is that although I pay taxes here I cannot vote, even in local elections.  All permanent residents in the UK from Commonwealth countries can vote in the UK.  This is wrong and I think it should be changed.  Remember the Boston Tea Party?
I'm ready to take a box of PG Tips and chuck it into the Kennet Canal!  Are there any others on this site who are in the same situation?  What are your thoughts?  Any ideas for how to change the law?

• Liked: 1891
Re: No Taxation without Representation!! Voting rights.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 12:45:20 PM »
I'm ready to March on parliament!  Where does one buy a torch and pitchfork in Westminster?

• Liked: 63
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 01:41:49 PM »
It's been a while since I took a history class, but I seem to remember that the Boston Tea Party was about residents of the colonies not having representation. We expats must file a US tax return, and often do pay tax......we should be complaining to Congress, not Parliament.

If you've lived here 11 years, why have you not become a citizen? I did that as soon as I was eligible, because I wanted the right to vote and fully participate in the system.

I don't necessarily agree with giving Commonwealth citizens voting rights, but there is some long-standing basis for that. We yanks fought to divorce ourselves from the UK, so whatever our status, IMHO, we have no cause for complaint....even in jest :-).
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 01:50:44 PM »
It's been a while since I took a history class, but I seem to remember that the Boston Tea Party was about residents of the colonies not having representation. We expats must file a US tax return, and often do pay tax......we should be complaining to Congress, not Parliament.

If you've lived here 11 years, why have you not become a citizen? I did that as soon as I was eligible, because I wanted the right to vote and fully participate in the system.

I don't necessarily agree with giving Commonwealth citizens voting rights, but there is some long-standing basis for that. We yanks fought to divorce ourselves from the UK, so whatever our status, IMHO, we have no cause for complaint....even in jest :-).

That's exactly my point.  Residents who do not have the right to vote for their representatives.  But we pay taxes here in the UK, not just income tax in the US.  We should be able to vote where we reside, at least for local reps.  I think EU and other nationals who also reside in the UK and pay taxes here should have the same right to vote for local reps.

For some technical reasons that I don't want to elaborate on here I have chosen not to apply for UK citizenship. 

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 01:52:23 PM »
I'm ready to March on parliament!  Where does one buy a torch and pitchfork in Westminster?

Maybe a pretty risky business these days!   8)  Perhaps better just to bung some tea into the nearest body of water.

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 02:06:55 PM »
I'd bet that if you actually threw PG tips in the Thames, you'd soon attract a hostile crowd.   

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 02:36:20 PM »
I'd bet that if you actually threw PG tips in the Thames, you'd soon attract a hostile crowd.

I think you're probably right about that.  Pretty soon a mob would form (probably with torches and pitchforks) yelling 'bloody foreigners' and trying to kill you!!  Not a pretty picture.  :o

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 04:03:02 PM »
At least there would be some serious tutting and maybe even grumbles.

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 04:25:39 PM »
At least there would be some serious tutting and maybe even grumbles.

The tutting not so hard to deal with....the grumbles another matter indeed.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 05:31:18 PM »
It is no different than in the USA. We were tax paying permanent residents for 11 years until we finally became US  citizens and eligible to vote.

It’s just the way most if not all countries operate.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 05:33:07 PM »
It is no different than in the USA. We were tax paying permanent residents for 11 years until we finally became US  citizens and eligible to vote.

Same with my aunt - she worked and paid taxes in the US for 22 years before she applied for US citizenship and was finally eligible to vote.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 07:14:48 PM »
Same with my aunt - she worked and paid taxes in the US for 22 years before she applied for US citizenship and was finally eligible to vote.

My Dad got a green card in 1963 and was a small business owner of two businesses, employed several USC's and had to navigate all the taxes and rules for his native country and his adopted one. He finally became a USC in 1992 and voted in his first election, 29 years later. So, it's the same everywhere really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 07:15:57 PM »

Doesn't make it right.  Should be changed in the US too.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 07:17:01 PM »
Doesn't make it right.  Should be changed in the US too.

Just curious....

What do you think the qualification for voting should be?

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 08:16:58 PM »
Just curious....

What do you think the qualification for voting should be?

Generally permanent residence.  I think every adult who is part of a community should have a say in who represents them. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab