Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: No Taxation without Representation!! Voting rights.  (Read 2549 times)

• Liked: 718
Re: No Taxation without Representation!! Voting rights.
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 10:24:46 PM »
Generally permanent residence.  I think every adult who is part of a community should have a say in who represents them.

I believe if a person wants to vote they should become a citizen with all that entails, swearing an oath of loyalty, being prepared to sit on a jury and serve in the armed forces.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 768
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 10:39:59 PM »
I believe if a person wants to vote they should become a citizen with all that entails, swearing an oath of loyalty, being prepared to sit on a jury and serve in the armed forces.
You can serve in the UK armed forces without being a citizen.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 10:44:22 PM »
You can serve in the UK armed forces without being a citizen.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I know, but I don’t believe you can be conscripted unless you are a citizen. If you are required to serve if needed then you should be able to vote imo.

• Liked: 149
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 06:34:51 AM »
I'd have to go with being a citizen as well. Just paying taxes isn't enough. I wouldn't want someone who just happens to go to the US to work (legally or illegally) to be able to vote. You need to put yourself completely into the system.....and the consequences that come with it.
Fred

• Liked: 342
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 07:03:06 PM »
Generally permanent residence.

That's not hard to remove, even if they haven't done anything wrong and sometimes it can be lost. Rules change. Only citizenship is a way to ensure you can always live there, unless you become a threat to the other citizens of that country or used deception to get that citizenship

As for taxation, some countries make some non-citizens pay more taxes. i.e Australia, and doesn't the US do it too? I'm surprised the UK hasn't done this.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 07:19:25 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 08:54:00 PM »

As for taxation, some countries make some non-citizens pay more taxes. i.e Australia, and doesn't the US do it too? I'm surprised the UK hasn't done this.

I am not aware of the USA imposing any extra taxes on non-citizens, and I was a resident alien for 11 years. They do tax illegal immigrants more than legal residents in that they pay SS and Medicare taxes (aka payroll taxes) but are not entitled to either Medicare or Social Security. After I retired I became an IRS trained volunteer preparing tax returns for low income folks and we were told never to question a SSN or TIN even it looked suspicious.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:55:06 PM by durhamlad »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab