Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Struggling to make sense of options to get a cat from LAX to LHR  (Read 2376 times)

• Liked: 18
Struggling to make sense of options to get a cat from LAX to LHR
« on: November 27, 2017, 10:51:24 PM »
Hi all,

My wife is flying BA from LAX to LHR on 19th December as part of her Spouse visa move. I'm trying to make sense of ways to get her cat over to London.

I thought BA would be good but their IAG Cargo page is horrendous. I dont even know what an IATA Cass number is. I had talked to Virgin a few months back but I'm unsure if I can use them for cat transfer only. I will call them tomorrow.

The only other option is a pet relocation company. Does anyone have any recommendations? I dont want to pay crazy money but the less hassle the better.

TIA.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:34:21 AM by movilla »

• Liked: 4985
Re: Struggling to make sense of options to get a cat from LAX to LHR
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 09:27:32 AM »
I used Air Animal to transport my kitties.  At the time, BA would only deal with pet transporters and not direct to the consumer. 

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 03:04:54 PM »
Thanks.

Today I called BA's IAG Cargo and they told me that I have to use an agent to use their services. So much for their friendly video suggesting that it was really easy to do.

Anyway, I called Virgin and they seemed a lot better. I had called them previously and I'm now convinced I'll be using them. Costs are around $1100.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 04:01:08 PM »

Anyway, I called Virgin and they seemed a lot better. I had called them previously and I'm now convinced I'll be using them. Costs are around $1100.

That sounds about right.

I flew our cats United and did it by myself, you might want to try them if Virgin doesn't work out for any reason.

• Liked: 56
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 05:45:59 PM »
It really isn't that hard to do however just knowing the steps and the time limits can feel overwhelming. At least the USDA site is FAR better than it was, but get to know these steps and timelines so you can book your vet appointments and allow for issues now.

Also - can't recommend them enough, but dryfur.com for all the accoutrements for the transport crate including wee pads, correct tagging, bolts, and water/food bowls. With Christmas coming best to get things shipped now!

• Liked: 52
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 03:48:29 PM »
Movilla-

This is not an easy task. We are working on moving our Cockapoo and I have looked at all the options and am working on a big post once we get to the UK (assuming we do). Anyhoo here are some links that might help if you dont have them already... and for others who dont..

Below I mention going though France. Basically Air France will let you fly with your pet in cabin economy if its below 17 pounds including the carrier. Then you gotta make your way to the UK....its an option if you cant bare to be separated from your small pet.

If anyone knows of anything I am missing please let us all know....!!!!!

THE SHOTS AND THE PAPERWORK………

First off a link to the UK government website that explains what they want you to do.

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

As I understand the process coming from the USA since we are not an EU member we need to provide upon entry a “Third country official veterinary certificate.” Your pet must arrive in an EU country within 10 days of the certificate being issued from a USDA certified veterinarian. If you go the route of France then to the UK as mentioned above this is the only certificate you will need. (Hopefully “Brexit” will not change this but as of this writing they UK is still EU.)

The USDA has laid out all the steps for getting your pet ready on the USA side.

To UK:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/eu/eu-echinococcus/pet-travel-echinococcus-treatments-uk

To France:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/eu/pettravel-france

A brief rundown of the steps are…

1-Get your pet microchipped with an international ISO chip.

2-Must be vaccinated for rabies. This is VERY detailed. Read it.

3-Pet must wait 21 days AFTER the rabies vaccination to enter UK.

4-Have a USDA accredited vet issue complete and sign the EU certificate.

5-Have your local state APHIS office sign and seal the EU certificate.

6-Dogs must be treated by an accredited vet for tapeworm between 1 and 5 days before entry into UK.

7-You need to fill in a declaration confirming that you aren’t going to sell or transfer the ownership of your pet.

Thats all.... yea...
UK Spouse Visa
Married: 2001 (Both Living in the US)
Biometrics: 27 Dec 2017
Received in Sheffield: 02 Jan 2018
Decision email: 24 Jan 2018 (17 Bus. Days)
Returned mail: 28 Jan 2018 It's a YES!!!
Landed in UK: 11 Feb 2018
Granted FLR(M): 22 Oct 2020
Granted ILR:  28 Feb 2023
Citizenship Granted:  18 Jan 2024

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 10:01:58 AM »
We used Virgin Atlantic in the end and we got Chimney the cat successfully moved across. When my wife brought the cat kennel to LAX, it was inspected and rejected due to holes at the bottom (actually on the curved bottom sides), but the people at Virgin had a wooden cage that was previously used for a dog. So that was used instead at no extra cost.

After a 10 hour flight and 4 hours in Heathrow's Animal Reception Centre, I picked up the cat. She's somewhat shellshocked but in good health.

Now all that is left is my wife's move in 3 day's time. Luckily we don't have to worry about rabies, microchips and kennel sizes  ;D  :)  :)  8)

• Liked: 52
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 12:03:04 PM »
Movilla-

Glad it all worked out. I have heard lots of good things about Virgin Atlantic. Seems like a great way to go.

NWKH
UK Spouse Visa
Married: 2001 (Both Living in the US)
Biometrics: 27 Dec 2017
Received in Sheffield: 02 Jan 2018
Decision email: 24 Jan 2018 (17 Bus. Days)
Returned mail: 28 Jan 2018 It's a YES!!!
Landed in UK: 11 Feb 2018
Granted FLR(M): 22 Oct 2020
Granted ILR:  28 Feb 2023
Citizenship Granted:  18 Jan 2024

Sponsored Links