Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Flight to UK with Visa: what else do I need?  (Read 1506 times)

• Liked: 223
Re: Flight to UK with Visa: what else do I need?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2017, 01:31:32 PM »
Visa in hand (yay!), I'm about to fly over to start my new job. All the visa documentation has me nervous enough to ask: what else should I have in hand at the immigration checkpoint in Heathrow? Just the passport+visa and the UKVI 01 letter that came with it? Is it a good idea to have anything else? Proof of residence? Relationship to spouse? (She won't be with me on this trip)

This is tiny in comparison and not worth really worrying about, but bring a pen or two in your carry on to fill out the landing card.  ;) Two pens might win you a friend.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 56
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 04:16:17 AM »
I’m afraid you will not be able to travel without her - you will not be allowed to enter the UK unless she is entering at the same time or is already there.

A quick follow up on this. She joined me, and we had a very smooth entry. However, we did happen to ask the immigration official stamping my visa if she had to be present for this, and he said no, that the approved visa is all that was required, as it demonstrates meeting the requirements. I'll leave open the possibility that there was a misunderstanding on my part or his, but thought I should report back. We're very happy to have that stamp, regardless!
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Married: 1992
Biometrics + docs sent:        18 Oct 2017
Received in Sheffield email:   23 Oct 2017
Decision email:                    18 Nov 2017
Landing in UK:                     31 Dec 2017
Passed Life in UK test:       16 Sep 2022
ILR application:                   3 Dec 2022
ILR decision:                        17 Jan 2023

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 05:44:13 AM »
A quick follow up on this. She joined me, and we had a very smooth entry. However, we did happen to ask the immigration official stamping my visa if she had to be present for this, and he said no, that the approved visa is all that was required, as it demonstrates meeting the requirements. I'll leave open the possibility that there was a misunderstanding on my part or his, but thought I should report back. We're very happy to have that stamp, regardless!

Glad you made it and it all went well!  :) The rules are pretty clear on that one though. He may have been thinking of the situation if she was in the UK already. In that case, she doesn't need to be travelling with you.

I hope everything is going equally well with the new job?  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »

Other have had problems.  I assure you we wouldn't tell you to have her present either with you or ahead of you if it wasn't necessary!   :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 03:19:07 PM »
My husband wasn't with me when I entered and their first question was "where is your husband?" ... so I think the border rep was thinking your wife would be already in the country. Glad you made it!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 768
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 04:08:54 PM »
My husband wasn't with me when I entered and their first question was "where is your husband?" ... so I think the border rep was thinking your wife would be already in the country. Glad you made it!! 

I agree. That was their first question to me as well.  Where is your husband?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 04:20:45 PM »
Someone here was asked where their husband was on their first entry and she responded with sass (after an overnight flight), "He BETTER BE on the other side of those doors."  Had all the Immigration Officers that could hear in stitches.  No question that that was a genuine relationship!   ;D

• Liked: 957
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 05:58:11 PM »
Someone here was asked where their husband was on their first entry and she responded with sass (after an overnight flight), "He BETTER BE on the other side of those doors."  Had all the Immigration Officers that could hear in stitches.  No question that that was a genuine relationship!   ;D
Haha! That made me laugh

Sponsored Links