Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Favorite Recipes to Batch Cook  (Read 1134 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Favorite Recipes to Batch Cook
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 04:01:01 PM »
Anyone else admit to missing Stouffer's lasagna?!?  Just me?

Though to be fair, I miss cheese in general!  My fear is that after my kid stops nursing, that I'll discover I can't tolerate cheese!  Fingers crossed that doesn't happen.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 04:03:41 PM »
Anyone else admit to missing Stouffer's lasagna?!?  Just me?

My husband does, big time! That was a staple of his!  ;D

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 04:11:23 PM »
My husband does, big time! That was a staple of his!  ;D

Ahhh, me and Mr. Bee would get along well!  And one must eat it straight from the pan.  None of this transferring to a plate sillyness.   ;)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 04:19:17 PM »
My big guilty pleasure was Spaghettios.  The kind with "meat"balls in.  I'd open a tin of that, dump it into a bowl, and microwave for a minute and a half.  I couldn't eat a pound of anything else in one sitting, but I could finish a tin of Spaghettios.

So, you be proud of your Stouffer's lasagna.  At least it didn't come in a tin!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 05:10:25 PM »

Ahhh, me and Mr. Bee would get along well!  And one must eat it straight from the pan.  None of this transferring to a plate sillyness.   ;)

I just told him about this conversation, shouldn't have.. have only stirred up the whole missing it thing!  8)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 06:44:49 PM »
My big guilty pleasure was Spaghettios.  The kind with "meat"balls in.  I'd open a tin of that, dump it into a bowl, and microwave for a minute and a half.  I couldn't eat a pound of anything else in one sitting, but I could finish a tin of Spaghettios.

So, you be proud of your Stouffer's lasagna.  At least it didn't come in a tin!
I had a can of Disney Princess Spaghettios last week. They really hit the spot! I wish they weren't so heavy though or I'd have brought some back with me! Alphabetti spaghetti does not taste the same at all.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 06:50:15 PM »
My mom used to make lasagna with ricotta cheese...mixed with mozzarella and Parmesan. No sauce, other than tomato-based. She got it from Italian immigrant neighbors who were from the Southern part of Italy. This was in the 1940s, so things may have changed since then, but that's what I think of when I think "Italian" food. :)

That's how my mom makes it! She's only 57. We're from the Midwest.

Egg goes in meatloaf (yucky meatloaf).
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 07:08:39 PM »
I had a can of Disney Princess Spaghettios last week. They really hit the spot! I wish they weren't so heavy though or I'd have brought some back with me! Alphabetti spaghetti does not taste the same at all.

There's nothing in this country that satisfies like a tin of Spaghettios.  I have not found a tinned pasta that isn't too mushy and bland over here.  If I could figure out what it was missing, I might try to tweak a product to make it palatable so I can indulge a little.  But everything I have tried has felt like hard work, so I have given up. :(

My lasagna never had a creamy/bechemal sauce component.  But my husband was horrified when I was going to make lasagna without one, and he took over.  I gotta say, it didn't really hit the spot for me.  I always just used ricotta, too.

Man... so many tastes I've missed these past 5 years...  *wistful sigh*  On the other hand, I've had so many new tastes to enjoy, too.  We have got quite a few recipes that we love.

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 09:12:11 PM »
There's nothing in this country that satisfies like a tin of Spaghettios.  I have not found a tinned pasta that isn't too mushy and bland over here.  If I could figure out what it was missing, I might try to tweak a product to make it palatable so I can indulge a little.  But everything I have tried has felt like hard work, so I have given up. :(

My lasagna never had a creamy/bechemal sauce component.  But my husband was horrified when I was going to make lasagna without one, and he took over.  I gotta say, it didn't really hit the spot for me.  I always just used ricotta, too.

Man... so many tastes I've missed these past 5 years...  *wistful sigh*  On the other hand, I've had so many new tastes to enjoy, too.  We have got quite a few recipes that we love.

You know... it's probably the illegal ingredients that make it so good! Haha. That's why all the ready noodles/souper noodles are so yucky... Nissan Ramen ALL THE WAY!

I don't mind the bechemel sauce, it's kind of nice. But I do prefer the ricotta. You can get ricotta here! It's just in much smaller amounts. We got it from Tesco last time I think. You could always make stuffed shells or canneloni or something to get that ricotta fix. That's what I did!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 09:17:03 PM »
I looked it up and it seems lasagne is made with ricotta in Naples, but made with Béchamel sauce in the Bologna region. Outside of Italy, it’s most commonly made with Béchamel sauce (which is how I’ve always made/eaten it in the UK).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 01:01:15 PM »
All right, next time I make lasagne I am going to ignore the French rules (hold my beer...) and make it with the special ricotta mix. That's gonna be proper.

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 01:04:51 PM »
I would smack any of you if you tried to get between me and a plate of Totino's pizza rolls.  Or bagel bites.

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 01:09:10 PM »
I would smack any of you if you tried to get between me and a plate of Totino's pizza rolls.  Or bagel bites.

When I get a deep fryer (it's on the list for sometime after we build the kitchen...), I will be making some epic pork eggrolls and I will fashion some kind of take on the Totino's pizza roll.  I'm pretty sure if I approach it like a fried ravioli, I won't be too far off.  I'll use the same dough as my eggroll wrapper (which I intend to press in my tortilla press because who needs a pasta press?).

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab