Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Settlement Gold Premium Service Appointment  (Read 29773 times)

• Liked: 98
Re: Settlement Gold Premium Service Appointment
« Reply #300 on: January 15, 2018, 04:49:57 PM »
Just a quick update... I got my passport back from VFS on Saturday morning with a shiny new entry clearance vignette and accompanying letter.  ;D

I thought I'd have to sign for it, but UPS just left it on the front porch and never bothered to ring the bell? Not happy with them, but so happy to have the visa in-hand! It's valid from 12 Jan to 11 Feb.

It says my BRP will be available for collection from 19 Jan. Flying back to the UK, just to collect it on 31 Jan, then flying right back to finish sorting things out here.

I'll be starting my new job in early March! I have a question for the experts / UK residents, after reading the employment contract... It states my base salary and notes the deduction of income tax and national insurance. I'd just like to confirm if I need to say something to HR? Am I still subject to paying for national insurance, even though I've already had to pay the £500 surcharge to use the NHS?

@Dani1983 I hope you get an answer from VFS today! Does the Seattle office have a phone number you can call? It struck me as very odd that they refused to give me a phone number to the DC office, even after asking for one repeatedly  >:(. I could only email and hope for a cogent reply or show up in person, as one lady did during my initial appointment. If I were you, at this point, I'd probably just show up at their office...
FLR(M) Visa #1
Applied from: Washington D.C.
Priority: Yes (VFS Gold Premuim)
Online App: 17 Nov 17
Appt at PAC: 29 Nov 17
Decision Made Email: 5 Jan 18
Passport sent to PAC:  8 Jan 18
Passport rcv'd: 13 Jan 18
Moved to UK: 1 Feb 18
±25 WD for a decision
———————————————————
FLR(M) Visa #2
Online App: 25 Jul 20
IDV App: 9 Sep 20
Priority: No (not avail)
Approval email: 9 Dec 20
BRP rcv’d: 18 Feb 20
±97 BD for a decision
———————————————————
ILR
Online App: 11 Jan 23
Priority: Super
Bio Appt: 7 Feb 23
Approval: 7 Feb 23
BRP rcv’d: 10 Feb 23

• Liked: 3589
Settlement Gold Premium Service Appointment
« Reply #301 on: January 15, 2018, 04:56:22 PM »
Congratulations !! So glad you finally got it!

It’s normal for them to just leave the package and not get a signature... in fact, I don’t recall the last time anyone actually had to sign for their passport and documents!

Congratulations on the new job as well :).

Everyone has to pay tax and NI if they are employed - sadly as you are an immigrant you have to pay twice... firstly through your taxes (NI) and secondly through the IHS surcharge (which was £600 for the spousal visa).

Only part of your NI contributions go towards the NHS. The rest helps pay for things like the state pension, maternity/paternity leave, jobseeker’s allowance etc. See: https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance/what-national-insurance-is-for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:58:52 PM by ksand24 »

« Reply #302 on: January 15, 2018, 05:04:13 PM »
Congratulations !! So glad you finally got it!

It’s normal for them to just leave the package and not get a signature... in fact, I don’t recall the last time anyone actually had to sign for their passport and documents!

Congratulations on the new job as well :).

Everyone has to pay tax and NI if they are employed - sadly as you are an immigrant you have to pay twice... firstly through your taxes (NI) and secondly through the IHS surcharge (which was £600 for the spousal visa).

Only part of your NI contributions go towards the NHS. The rest helps pay for things like the state pension, maternity/paternity leave, jobseeker’s allowance etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @ksand24! It's such a relief to actually have it in-hand. You're right, it was indeed £600. Sucks that we have to pay it twice, but I suppose it's understandable, given the additional benefits it covers (which I didn't realise) and the fact that I haven't previously contributed to the NHS. It's also regrettable that the entry clearance vignette is valid for an arbitrary 30 days, rather than 60 or 90. With having to fly back just to collect the BRP, plus our decision to use the lawyer and go for 'gold service,' we've spent well over $6k to get this visa!
FLR(M) Visa #1
±25 WD for a decision
———————————————————
FLR(M) Visa #2
±97 BD for a decision
———————————————————
ILR

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #303 on: January 15, 2018, 05:04:27 PM »
Am I still subject to paying for national insurance, even though I've already had to pay the £500 surcharge to use the NHS?

I will not get on my soapbox... I will not get on my soapbox...   I will not get on my soapbox....

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #304 on: January 15, 2018, 05:18:21 PM »
I will not get on my soapbox... I will not get on my soapbox...   I will not get on my soapbox....

Just breathe!  ;D

• Liked: 68
« Reply #305 on: January 15, 2018, 06:19:55 PM »
Really keeping my fingers crossed that Dani has some good news coming her way today
Type of Application: Settlement Spouse Visa (non priority)
Met Husband: 10 September 2015
Got married: 13 October 2017
Online application: 26 Nov 2017
Decision email received: 8 March 2018 (68 BD)
Passport received: 12 March 2018 - APPROVED!
Arrived in the UK: 31 March 2018
FLR(M) Extension Submitted: 15 September 2020
Submitted Documents and Biometrics via IDV: 8 October 2020
FLR(M) Approval: 30 December 2020
SET(M) Submitted: 15 July 2023
Submitted Docs & Biometrics: 10 August 2023
SET (M) Approved: 13 October 2023

• Liked: 95
« Reply #306 on: January 15, 2018, 09:29:03 PM »
@FLgator86 I am so glad that you have your visa in hand! What a relief it must be!

I will be heading to the office this week if I can. I realized late Sunday evening that today is a holiday in the US and the office may be closed.  >:(

High drama warning:

Today my 7 and 9 year old sons had their first day at their new school. I had to see them off via facetime at around midnight. This is a HUGE deal for me. Last year I was terrified to send my younger son to school for the first time ever, while he was still undergoing daily chemo, with a port in his chest (what could happen on the playground? Etc.). I needed a lot of support from the school staff and his healthcare team to cope with it (he was absolutely fine lol). Little did I know, a year later I'd be sending him to a new country without me, and a new school that I've never even stepped foot in! In addition to that, I have our 5 year old daughter here with me and she should've been starting today with them. This is outrageous at this point.

On Friday, my husband is going to the drop in surgery to try and speak to our MP about the situation. To be honest, I don't expect to have heard before then.

I am so afraid that they are planning to refuse me. I know it's jumping the gun a little still, as pretty much no one is hearing (beyond the magic apps that zoom through) and it's not been a huge amount of time yet since flgator heard back with an approval. I just hate every single day right now and keep wondering what I could have done differently to plan for this better.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:29:26 PM by Dani1983 »
FLR (M) Timeline:
Submitted Application Online: 14/10/20
Biometrics Appointment/Document Scanned: 13/11/20
Received Decision: 8/3/21 - APPROVED

ILR Timeline:
Submitted Application Online: 30/08/23
Biometrics Appointment/Documents Scanned: 29/09/23
Received Decision: 24/11/23 APPROVED

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #307 on: January 15, 2018, 09:37:21 PM »
I hope the MP can help you Dani, you’re certainly not getting any sort of ‘gold’ service. So sorry.  :-\\\\

« Reply #308 on: January 15, 2018, 10:10:19 PM »
@Dani1983 good luck tomorrow at VFS! We've drafted our letter to the MP in Leeds complaining about the Gold Service scam. Going to send it off this week.

I hope your hubby has some luck seeing the MP in person. I just noticed the new ticker in your signature... This would be bad enough this time of year for standard priority. When you tack on how much we paid for gold, it's outrageous. So sorry it has turned out this way! I can't help but wonder if you might've already heard back if you'd gone with standard priority. Really hoping the MP can push UKVI along for you.
FLR(M) Visa #1
±25 WD for a decision
———————————————————
FLR(M) Visa #2
±97 BD for a decision
———————————————————
ILR

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #309 on: January 15, 2018, 10:14:07 PM »
We love you Dani!!!!

« Reply #310 on: January 15, 2018, 11:04:07 PM »
We love you Dani!!!!
[smiley=blush.gif]  [smiley=smitten.gif] Really not sure what I'd do without the support and encouragement I've found in all of you right now!

Random story! 10 years ago a close friend of ours passed away (not a happy story, naturally). His wife, (my bff) had bumper stickers made (he was a soldier killed in action and it's just something folks do/did). She went with something he often said, sort of his catchphrase. Ever since, we've joked about what each other's bumper stickers would say. Today my husband said my quote would just be, "Frustrated". He's not wrong! I may have to retire that word altogether when this is done.  :-X 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 11:05:18 PM by Dani1983 »
FLR (M) Timeline:

ILR Timeline:

• Liked: 68
« Reply #311 on: January 15, 2018, 11:32:53 PM »
After this experience, you'll have a whole new meaning for the word frustrated. I guess the one "upside" to all of this, which is hardly an upside at all, is that we all understand how terrible it is to be away from our loved ones and it's not something anyone here will probably ever take for granted.

I'm still hoping that you'll hear something tomorrow.
Type of Application: Settlement Spouse Visa (non priority)
Met Husband: 10 September 2015
Got married: 13 October 2017
Online application: 26 Nov 2017
Decision email received: 8 March 2018 (68 BD)
Passport received: 12 March 2018 - APPROVED!
Arrived in the UK: 31 March 2018
FLR(M) Extension Submitted: 15 September 2020
Submitted Documents and Biometrics via IDV: 8 October 2020
FLR(M) Approval: 30 December 2020
SET(M) Submitted: 15 July 2023
Submitted Docs & Biometrics: 10 August 2023
SET (M) Approved: 13 October 2023

« Reply #312 on: January 16, 2018, 12:04:42 AM »
After this experience, you'll have a whole new meaning for the word frustrated. I guess the one "upside" to all of this, which is hardly an upside at all, is that we all understand how terrible it is to be away from our loved ones and it's not something anyone here will probably ever take for granted.

I'm still hoping that you'll hear something tomorrow.

Omg yes, that is so true! I keep wanting to stress that I know this is equally difficult for everyone who finds themselves in this situation  :( When my husband and I first met and lived in separate countries, it was so awful. I hated that as much as I hate this now.

It would be great if I could hear anything at all tomorrow. Still not sure if I will head downtown or not, it depends on whether they respond and what they say.
FLR (M) Timeline:

ILR Timeline:

• Liked: 4
« Reply #313 on: January 16, 2018, 04:49:08 PM »
Hey Dani,

I've been following your progress as my husband is a priority and been waiting since Dec 8 and I just want you to know that I am putting lots of positive energy out there for you to get an answer soon. It is such a hard system, for you to be away from your kids. I'm so sorry you are going through this, I'm sure you will get approved, hopefully very soon and be reunited. I'm sickened by my country sometimes and how little compassion they have for people in this situation. Sending you all the luck in the world that you hear really soon!

Emilie xxx

« Reply #314 on: January 16, 2018, 11:43:11 PM »
Hey Dani,

I've been following your progress as my husband is a priority and been waiting since Dec 8 and I just want you to know that I am putting lots of positive energy out there for you to get an answer soon. It is such a hard system, for you to be away from your kids. I'm so sorry you are going through this, I'm sure you will get approved, hopefully very soon and be reunited. I'm sickened by my country sometimes and how little compassion they have for people in this situation. Sending you all the luck in the world that you hear really soon!

Emilie xxx

This is really lovely, thank you so much! Best of luck to you and your husband as well, I hope things pick up soon for everyone!

Nothing from Sheffield or VFS today. It is absolutely unacceptable.
FLR (M) Timeline:

ILR Timeline:

Sponsored Links