Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Woe is me......  (Read 1146 times)

• Liked: 149
Re: Woe is me......
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 03:56:15 PM »
Blades, Owls or The Club?
Ahh, doesn't matter now. Nobody harassed me at all. Actually, I shouldn't have picked on Sheffield at all anyway......the several times I've been there it has seemed a pretty decent place to live. I wouldn't want to live IN Sheffield (too many people), but the surrounding area is pretty nice.
Fred

• Liked: 585
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 04:09:18 PM »
Actually, I shouldn't have picked on Sheffield at all anyway......the several times I've been there it has seemed a pretty decent place to live. I wouldn't want to live IN Sheffield (too many people), but the surrounding area is pretty nice.

That was the point I was trying to hold myself back from making!  Sheffield is great! If I were young and single, i'd seriously consider moving there.  :)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 09:46:34 PM »
No, it can get colder than that occasionally.  When I lived in Partick, my old car had a thermometer and it was reading -2 or -3 at times.  I'm in Helensburgh now (about 25 miles away), and it's a bit colder here...sometimes -5 when I leave for work in the mornings.

You might want to get some of those Yak Trax things for your shoes.  I'm sure they saved my neck a few times having to walk down the hill to Dumbarton Road!

Although, as I'm writing this, I'm feeling a bit of an idiot talking about how cold it can get.  I mean, it can!  It has in the past!  But at the moment, I am sitting here feeling uncomfortably warm, have gone to open a window in the bedroom, and realise we haven't had the heating on since Friday.   :o

• Liked: 674
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 11:18:49 PM »
Winter is fun. It would be nice if it snowed, tho!

I just finally got around to turning our heating boiler on for the year yesterday, as the Daughter was having company over and I didn't want them to be uncomfortable. We are happy keeping the place in the low 60Fs, which is where our flat seems to remain most days recently on its own - I assume due to the kindness and heat of those above and below, and next-door to us, and the double-glazing, etc.  But it seems people here are used to having flats be a little warmer and she was having a party, so I turned it on and found it works nicely. I call the line at 60F - and yesterday (or Friday?) morning it was in the 50Fs in my kitchen when I stumbled out for my tea and toast.  I'm too old and cranky to wander around chilled, in sweats, socks, slippers, and robe, so we now have the heat on. Technically. It's set at 60F for days, 65F for evenings, and then way low overnight. (I'm also a cheapskate.)

Last week the thermometer stuck to the outside of my kitchen window was reading below 0 celsius many mornings, and one day (Thursday?) most of the day it was just above.

So I'm good with that, as long as the wind isn't blowing and I'm not getting rained on. I have lots of good coats/scarves/gloves.  I went out one day last week, though, when it was not supposed to rain. Went to city center and it came down in buckets. (Silly me, no umbrella.) And then it got breezy as I was walking home from the bus stop, which annoyed my lungs. And I haven't actually felt completely warm since. I have had an awful lot of tea, too!

• Liked: 718
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 01:16:19 PM »
Although we brought several umbrellas back home with us from Texas last year we rarely ever use one. That’s because up here on the northern edge of the N Yorks moors when it rains it is invariably too windy for an umbrella.

We have had the heating on for some weeks now....
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 149
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 03:02:57 PM »
Although we brought several umbrellas back home with us from Texas last year we rarely ever use one. That’s because up here on the northern edge of the N Yorks moors when it rains it is invariably too windy for an umbrella.

We have had the heating on for some weeks now....
When I'm golfing......most of the other guys crank out their umbrellas when it starts raining. I just put on my rain gear......Umbrellas are just a disaster waiting to happen in the wind.

Heat?? Ha ha ha.......I don't turn it off (even in July). It is set at 20.5 during the day......if the temperature gets below that it comes on. My wife's parents freeze their asses off to save money(they have money to turn the heat on, they just won't.....because)......they would rather suffer year round than to be comfortable. Then.....take some bus tour that costs them hundreds of Pounds, and at times thousands. I would rather be comfortable year-round in my home than to take that bus tour for a week.
Fred

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab