Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How will Meghan Markle Become a British Citizen - BBC News  (Read 2441 times)

• Liked: 1327
How will Meghan Markle Become a British Citizen - BBC News
« on: December 01, 2017, 05:21:10 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42169602

The number of things they got wrong and/or omitted is shocking!  This isn't that hard to research!  Any one of us here could have written a better summary.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 13
Re: How will Meghan Markle Become a British Citizen - BBC News
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 10:44:42 AM »
£16,000 worth of savings?!?!?! Since when??!?  ;)

They really need to cite from where they find their information.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 10:55:28 AM »
£16,000 worth of savings?!?!?! Since when??!?  ;)

They really need to cite from where they find their information.

Technically, it's correct... you do need AT LEAST £16,000 worth of savings, because the first £16,000 don't count.

That part actually came straight from the UKVI website, however, it looks like they just copied and pasted a lot of the article without actually researching the requirements in detail.

From the UKVI settlement visa pages (https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/proof-income):

What counts as income
You and your partner can use:
- income from employment before tax and National Insurance (check your P60 or payslips) - you can only use your own income if you earn it in the UK
- income you earn from self-employment or as a director of a limited company in the UK - check your Self Assessment tax return
- cash savings above £16,000
- money from a pension
- non-work income, for example from property rentals or dividends

Most of the article seems to be 'basically' correct, but not completely correct - they've got the general gist but not the actual full details.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 11:33:16 AM »
In the article about Harry and Meghan's "first joint royal visit" (does this count as work?), there's an opportunity to chime in at the bottom:

Are you seeking to become a British citizen? Are you an American who has already come to live in Britain? Email haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk.

Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:

WhatsApp: +44 7525 900971
    Send pictures/video to yourpics@bbc.co.uk
    Upload your pictures / video here
    Tweet: @BBC_HaveYourSay
    Text an SMS or MMS to 61124 or +44 7624 800 100

I'm so tempted.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »
In the article about Harry and Meghan's "first joint royal visit" (does this count as work?), there's an opportunity to chime in at the bottom:

I'm so tempted.

I did it :)
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 02:08:42 PM »
Mmm, I so would but I didn't come on a spousal visa , so not sure they would care in my case. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 20
Fake News!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 04:00:40 PM »
This is the problem with all news! As soon as you read/listen/watch any news articles related to something you have any real understanding about, you begin to see that it's always wrong. Even if it's the relatively well resourced BBC. Now, expand across everything that gets covered in the news. The mind boggles at how much incorrect information is treated as fact by everybody. Best to just read a book ;)   

• Liked: 41
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 04:49:00 PM »
This is the problem with all news! As soon as you read/listen/watch any news articles related to something you have any real understanding about, you begin to see that it's always wrong. Even if it's the relatively well resourced BBC. Now, expand across everything that gets covered in the news. The mind boggles at how much incorrect information is treated as fact by everybody. Best to just read a book ;)   
So very true. The amount of air incidents recently and the tripe that is reported on them by the 'I-don't-got-no-GCSEs' reporters has enabled ample crap filter calibration for my daily news read.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 04:13:42 AM »
With all of Meghan's official "royal duties", I'm curious to know what her current visa status is.  Do any of us really believe she has go through the visa process just like anybody else?  She's got to be here on some other visa type than visitor...? Has she even left the UK since they announced at the end of November?

As they will be getting married over here, if they were to do this just like any "normal" couple, she'd have to come in on a marriage visa, which she'd apply for from outside the UK.  Even with priority, it's going to take several weeks to process her application.  And the "Gold"* service is even longer, it seems.

Bah.  Yay for the happy couple, I guess, but this pretense that they have to jump through the same hoops we all do is b%(!sh*t.

*While waiting so long for Dani's visa to come through, I began to conspiracy theorize that the whole "Gold" thing was only invented specifically for Meghan Markle, to super-fast-track her application while seemingly doing it in a way that is technically accessible to regular applicants, but they never expected regular people to use it... and that's why nobody with VFS or UKVI seemed to know what to do with it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:15:48 AM by jfkimberly »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 05:19:34 AM »
With all of Meghan's official "royal duties", I'm curious to know what her current visa status is.  Do any of us really believe she has go through the visa process just like anybody else?  She's got to be here on some other visa type than visitor...? Has she even left the UK since they announced at the end of November?

As they will be getting married over here, if they were to do this just like any "normal" couple, she'd have to come in on a marriage visa, which she'd apply for from outside the UK.  Even with priority, it's going to take several weeks to process her application.  And the "Gold"* service is even longer, it seems.

Bah.  Yay for the happy couple, I guess, but this pretense that they have to jump through the same hoops we all do is b%(!sh*t.

*While waiting so long for Dani's visa to come through, I began to conspiracy theorize that the whole "Gold" thing was only invented specifically for Meghan Markle, to super-fast-track her application while seemingly doing it in a way that is technically accessible to regular applicants, but they never expected regular people to use it... and that's why nobody with VFS or UKVI seemed to know what to do with it.

My guess is that they took her passport and just slapped a fiancé visa in it (maybe before she entered) but without any of the waiting or worry or providing evidence or anything that the rest of us have to go through. But in that way they can claim she is not receiving special treatment.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 05:37:00 AM »
My guess is that they took her passport and just slapped a fiancé visa in it (maybe before she entered) but without any of the waiting or worry or providing evidence or anything that the rest of us have to go through. But in that way they can claim she is not receiving special treatment.

I assume so, too.  And that's fine if they did just give her the visa... what do I care if the royal family is above the law?  But don't pretend like she has to go through the hoops to the media/public if she doesn't!  They shouldn't be allowed to trivialize what we all have/had to do to be with our partners.

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 05:42:53 AM »

They shouldn't be allowed to trivialize what we all have/had to do to be with our partners.

Totally agree!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 08:19:23 AM »
I assume so, too.  And that's fine if they did just give her the visa... what do I care if the royal family is above the law?  But don't pretend like she has to go through the hoops to the media/public if she doesn't!  They shouldn't be allowed to trivialize what we all have/had to do to be with our partners.

Agreed.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 09:05:57 AM »
I also agree. We know perfectly well that she will not be under the same scrutiny, and definitely has already skipped a hoop or five. Whatever - don't imply that it's that easy for the rest of us, because it definitely is not.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 10:12:15 AM »
I think a lot of this comes down to a definition of 'Working' for immigrating purposes.  I've yet to find one and the gov.uk definition of a worker is very open to interpretation.

Sponsored Links