Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How will Meghan Markle Become a British Citizen - BBC News  (Read 2429 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: How will Meghan Markle Become a British Citizen - BBC News
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 10:46:42 AM »
I really don't care about the royals and I'm sure it's easier for her.

BUT the timelines work.

End of November coming over would give her 6 months to get married here in the UK and then they could immediately apply (by having UKVI come to them) after the wedding for FLR. Still giving her the correct timeline as the wedding is in mid May ( had to look it up).

We don't know when she applied for her visa or if she applied in the US. She could have applied from Canada as that's where Suits is filmed and she'd need a visa to live there. Slightly different process for Canadians as we all know.

As to working, I don't think anyone's definition of work is attending events with their fiance... It might be his job, but it's not hers... Yet.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 10:55:39 AM »
I really don't care about the royals and I'm sure it's easier for her.

BUT the timelines work.

End of November coming over would give her 6 months to get married here in the UK and then they could immediately apply (by having UKVI come to them) after the wedding for FLR. Still giving her the correct timeline as the wedding is in mid May ( had to look it up).

We don't know when she applied for her visa or if she applied in the US. She could have applied from Canada as that's where Suits is filmed and she'd need a visa to live there. Slightly different process for Canadians as we all know.

As to working, I don't think anyone's definition of work is attending events with their fiance... It might be his job, but it's not hers... Yet.

And do you really think they weren't already engaged before it was announced publicly? I mean, really. She just didn't have to wear the ring or maybe he didn't actually propose until then. My husband and I talked abouthaving him propose while I was on my first trip to visit the UK so we could start making actual plans for me moving and so we could fully understand what we we needed to do to get me here. Couldn't they have done the same?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 10:56:53 AM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 11:23:02 AM »
I’m pretty sure that if she does have a visa, she didn’t actually apply for it! Their people will have sorted it out.  :)

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 11:43:11 AM »
I assume so, too.  And that's fine if they did just give her the visa... what do I care if the royal family is above the law?  But don't pretend like she has to go through the hoops to the media/public if she doesn't!  They shouldn't be allowed to trivialize what we all have/had to do to be with our partners.

This this this! Her situation is unique, so if they gave her special treatment, fine, whatever. She has a lot of expectations to shoulder and I think it's great that she's jumping right in to royal duties. But don't pretend that she's following the rules like us commoners.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 12:08:03 PM »
I’m pretty sure that if she does have a visa, she didn’t actually apply for it! Their people will have sorted it out.  :)

K. I gotta continue to play devils advocate here. So the fact that she and Harry are wealthy enough to pay people to do the app for them... Means she didn't actually apply? So what? I think we all would gladly have paid someone else to do it if we could have. If something goes wrong you have someone to blame other than hourself!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 01:02:28 PM »

I'm afraid we have a misunderstanding about what it means to live in a monarchy. The Royal family are chosen by God!  They don't need visas.  AFAIK, the Queen doesn't even have a passport. 

I'm certain what'shername already has a diplomatic passport personally signed by the Queen.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 01:14:38 PM »
I'm afraid we have a misunderstanding about what it means to live in a monarchy. The Royal family are chosen by God!  They don't need visas.  AFAIK, the Queen doesn't even have a passport. 

I'm certain what'shername already has a diplomatic passport personally signed by the Queen.

I accept the likelihood of this.  My objection is to what they're telling the public.  Give her all the special privileges you want to, but don't then turn around and tell the rest of us that she has to do it the same way as the rest of us.  It demeans those of us who are doing it the right way.

But Lyonaria might be right.  I looked at the timeline between announcement and the date they set for the wedding, and perhaps they saved announcing until her visa was approved.

Still, I challenge the royal duties.  I still think that should be classed as work.  If it's Prince Harry's "job", then it's a job for her too, whether they're married or not.  They're already describing her as a royal, and they're appearances she's obligated to make in that role.  It's a job.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 41
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 01:57:26 PM »
I accept the likelihood of this.  My objection is to what they're telling the public.  Give her all the special privileges you want to, but don't then turn around and tell the rest of us that she has to do it the same way as the rest of us.  It demeans those of us who are doing it the right way.

But Lyonaria might be right.  I looked at the timeline between announcement and the date they set for the wedding, and perhaps they saved announcing until her visa was approved.

Still, I challenge the royal duties.  I still think that should be classed as work.  If it's Prince Harry's "job", then it's a job for her too, whether they're married or not.  They're already describing her as a royal, and they're appearances she's obligated to make in that role.  It's a job.
Yep. It's the 'oh but she's following the same rules as everyone else' bit - accepting that the timescales might mean she has done.

Alas, bless her little cotton socks.  From fake lawyer loving para-legal to Commander in Chief of the Royal Ginger one, that's quite some career progression.  Bloody working, I rest my case!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 116
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 02:02:33 PM »
The only thing I don't know about was, didn't she move here like a month or two before the announcement?  So that would make it more than 6 months if it was on a fiance visa. 

I agree, I don't care if the process is easier for them, but don't pretend it's easy to get a visa to live here for everyone!
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 02:11:32 PM »
The only thing I don't know about was, didn't she move here like a month or two before the announcement?  So that would make it more than 6 months if it was on a fiance visa. 

I thought that, but I couldn't find anything to show when she came to the UK.  If sheentered as a visitor, she would've had to leave again to wait for her visa to be processed. If she came in on a fiancee visa prior to November 19th, her timeline doesn't work.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links