Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spouse visa checklist and questions  (Read 390 times)

• Liked: 7
Spouse visa checklist and questions
« on: December 06, 2017, 02:05:37 AM »
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum but have been reading various posts with interest. My apologies in advance if some of the below will end up repeating what other threads may have covered already, but I'll be grateful for any advice you can provide as my wife and I prepare to apply for a spouse visa early next year to move to the UK.

I am from the UK, my wife is Colombian and we have lived together in the US for the past 6 years (we got married in January 2012). We've owned a house for nearly 4 years.

A few questions:

In itself, does anyone have experience of whether applying as a citizen of a third country (i.e. not from the country you are residing in) has any bearing on the application process? Does it make it less straightforward?

In terms of providing proof of our marriage and that we live together: should we just focus on the years that we have owned our house (since January 2014) or also the two years prior to that when we were renting? For the former, we can provide our title deed, property tax bills, utility bills and homeowners insurance as examples. The mortgage is my name only, so would it be worth including mortgage statements or not? For the period that we were renting, I think I have our original rental agreement, but do I need anything more than that? I don't think I would have any utility bills for that period. We also have joint tax returns that we could include, as well as the usual wedding and family photos etc.

With regards to the documents that we provide: I'm unclear as to how 'original' these need to be. For example, for utility bills, can we print off e-bills and get them certified as original? I'm not sure i'd be comfortable sending something like the original deed to the house, either, or is that being paranoid?

Date of travel to the UK: my wife's work contract finishes at the end of April, and ideally we would plan to travel after that. Does that mean that the earliest we can apply is 3 months prior to that date? Having read some of the stories about delays in processing, we'd like to apply as soon as we can, particularly given the fact that once my wife's contract is finished we need to leave the US within 30 days anyway or else we lose status (even though our actual visas are valid for another 5 years). We may have the opportunity to extend our status in the US but we can't rely on that.

Which brings me to the next point: I'll be looking with great interest at experiences re the new gold settlement priority service. Bearing in mind the above about the end of our status in the US, it would be better for us if we can keep my wife's passport if at all possible to avoid any status complications.

Travel over the past 10 years: do we need to provide every single trip my wife has undertaken over the past 10 years? It will be an extremely long list, if so. If we miss any trips by mistake, would that be held against us?

Financial requirements: we will apply using cash savings. We've had them held in an account in the UK in my name only since July this year. The majority previously came from our joint account here in the US and the rest of an investment account I have in the UK. Would it be safer for me to provide evidence of where the funds came from, or is the fact they have been in the account since July proof enough? Secondly, in terms of the bank statements, is a paper statement sent by the bank considered original, or do i still need to get a letter from the bank confirming its authenticity? I know i have to do that for e-statements anyway.

Apologies for the long first message, but as i say, very grateful for any feedback or advice you can provide.

• Liked: 6110
Re: Spouse visa checklist and questions
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 05:36:23 AM »
Hello and welcome, please see my comments in blue!

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum but have been reading various posts with interest. My apologies in advance if some of the below will end up repeating what other threads may have covered already, but I'll be grateful for any advice you can provide as my wife and I prepare to apply for a spouse visa early next year to move to the UK.

I am from the UK, my wife is Colombian and we have lived together in the US for the past 6 years (we got married in January 2012). We've owned a house for nearly 4 years.

A few questions:

In itself, does anyone have experience of whether applying as a citizen of a third country (i.e. not from the country you are residing in) has any bearing on the application process? Does it make it less straightforward?

She will have to provide evidence of her living in the US legally, so her visa. She'll also need to meet the English language requirement and I'm not sure about the TB clearance, you should check out the list of included countries for that.

In terms of providing proof of our marriage and that we live together: should we just focus on the years that we have owned our house (since January 2014) or also the two years prior to that when we were renting? For the former, we can provide our title deed, property tax bills, utility bills and homeowners insurance as examples. The mortgage is my name only, so would it be worth including mortgage statements or not? For the period that we were renting, I think I have our original rental agreement, but do I need anything more than that? I don't think I would have any utility bills for that period. We also have joint tax returns that we could include, as well as the usual wedding and family photos etc.

You need to cover the length of the relationship. Pick a couple of those for each year.

With regards to the documents that we provide: I'm unclear as to how 'original' these need to be. For example, for utility bills, can we print off e-bills and get them certified as original? I'm not sure i'd be comfortable sending something like the original deed to the house, either, or is that being paranoid?

Everything needs to be original or a certified copy. It would be appropriate to have something like the deeds certified. Anything printed from online is not original, you should have the company send you copies in the mail or use something else.

Date of travel to the UK: my wife's work contract finishes at the end of April, and ideally we would plan to travel after that. Does that mean that the earliest we can apply is 3 months prior to that date? Having read some of the stories about delays in processing, we'd like to apply as soon as we can, particularly given the fact that once my wife's contract is finished we need to leave the US within 30 days anyway or else we lose status (even though our actual visas are valid for another 5 years). We may have the opportunity to extend our status in the US but we can't rely on that.

Yes, you can only apply 3 months ahead of the intended travel date.

Which brings me to the next point: I'll be looking with great interest at experiences re the new gold settlement priority service. Bearing in mind the above about the end of our status in the US, it would be better for us if we can keep my wife's passport if at all possible to avoid any status complications.

I'm not sure how it would work with getting the visa into the passport if you had actually left the country by the time it is granted. That time of year is a great time to apply though so I'd probably just apply right on time and use regular priority.

Travel over the past 10 years: do we need to provide every single trip my wife has undertaken over the past 10 years? It will be an extremely long list, if so. If we miss any trips by mistake, would that be held against us?

Yes, provide every trip, if you think you may have missed some, just mention that in the application, it won't affect anything.

Financial requirements: we will apply using cash savings. We've had them held in an account in the UK in my name only since July this year. The majority previously came from our joint account here in the US and the rest of an investment account I have in the UK. Would it be safer for me to provide evidence of where the funds came from, or is the fact they have been in the account since July proof enough? Secondly, in terms of the bank statements, is a paper statement sent by the bank considered original, or do i still need to get a letter from the bank confirming its authenticity? I know i have to do that for e-statements anyway.

A paper statement from the bank is an original so no letter required. You need to have a full 6 months worth of statements with a balance over £62,500 in order to qualify.

Apologies for the long first message, but as i say, very grateful for any feedback or advice you can provide.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 05:39:12 AM by larrabee »

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 04:48:45 PM »
Thank you very much for the reply larrabee.

A couple of additional questions as follow-up:

When you say that we need to cover the length of the relationship, I assume you mean from when we met rather than from when we married? For the first 18 months, this was a long distance relationship (Colombia-UK, USA-UK, then New York-Washington). What sort of proof should I provide of the relationship then? Photos? Plane tickets (if I can find them)? Or can that be covered off in my cover letter for her?

I think the rest is ok, though not sure how easy it will be to get paper bills for the past few years.

Thanks again.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 04:53:19 PM »
Thank you very much for the reply larrabee.

A couple of additional questions as follow-up:

When you say that we need to cover the length of the relationship, I assume you mean from when we met rather than from when we married? For the first 18 months, this was a long distance relationship (Colombia-UK, USA-UK, then New York-Washington). What sort of proof should I provide of the relationship then? Photos? Plane tickets (if I can find them)? Or can that be covered off in my cover letter for her?

I think the rest is ok, though not sure how easy it will be to get paper bills for the past few years.

Thanks again.

Yes, the whole length of the relationship should be covered. Boarding passes are great and evidence of how you kept in touch while apart, email,skype, etc.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 04:57:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum :).

What you'll need to include for relationship evidence is:

Basics:
- marriage certificate
- any divorce decrees from previous relationships (if applicable)
- 1 or 2 photos of you together (just to show you've met in person)

For the time you spent apart in a long-distance relationship:
- boarding passes from trips to see each other
- letters/cards sent to each other
- a selection of call logs/email inbox/message screenshots over the time spent apart (just a list of dates/times on a couple of sheets of paper, no message content)

For the time you have lived together, evidence of living together, such as:
- joint tax returns
- house deeds or rental agreements
- mortgage statements
- utility bills

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 05:33:35 PM »
Thanks very much. The main stumbling block I'm seeing is re the boarding passes/old tickets. We almost certainly don't have the boarding passes and I'm struggling to find my old e-tickets from the period we were living apart. Any thoughts on how to get around that?

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 05:41:23 PM »
Thanks very much. The main stumbling block I'm seeing is re the boarding passes/old tickets. We almost certainly don't have the boarding passes and I'm struggling to find my old e-tickets from the period we were living apart. Any thoughts on how to get around that?

If you can't find them, you can draw attention to any passport stamps which are relevant to those trips and explain that you don't have the tickets any more.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 02:42:09 AM »
Thanks again. This is all very helpful. Having spent more time searching today, my main concern is over a 4-month period where we were both living in the US but in different cities. AT&T can't find my/our phone records for that period, and we have no bus tickets to show us travelling regularly between New York and Washington to see each other. It look as though the only thing we'll have for that period are emails between us. Will that be enough?

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 03:23:20 AM »
Please ignore my last - lots of old bus and plane tickets mysteriously appeared back in my email this evening so I think I am better covered! That should be enough help for now, but I may well re-post closer to the time we actually are about to submit the application.

Thanks very much again.

Sponsored Links