Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The Practical: Lessons & Instructor's Car vs. No Lessons & My Car  (Read 2651 times)

• New York >> South Yorkshire
  • Liked: 25
Hello, all  :)

I recently passed my theory test (phew!) and I'm having a conundrum about how to approach the practical. Basically, should I book an instructor for a lesson/mock test and the use of their vehicle for the practical? Or should I wing it and just attempt the test with my own car? I've seen conflicting accounts about whether I am allowed to drive to/from the test alone -- especially, in the event of a failure,  am I allowed to drive away? It seems like I should be given my "legality" to drive with my US licence, but I admit it confuses me. I suppose I'm looking for other peoples' personal experiences and testimonials.

The thing is... I've found that lessons (£27 per hour), mock tests (£75) and use of the instructor's car (£75) are extortionate! I don't need to start as a beginner -- I was mostly interested in the idea of a mock test to get acquainted with what to expect. But with the test itself being £62/£75... I just can't fathom dropping an additional £150 for the mock test and instructor's car. It bears mentioning that money is tight for me and saving the expense would have an impact. I'm considering taking the test and, if I fail, just booking it again. It'd literally be cheaper. I have some doubts though as I'm not sure if I'm being cavalier (and cheap).

Background on me as a driver:
I've already decided (to the great displeasure of all our British spouses, it seems :P) to take the automatic test. I've been driving in the States since 2001 in the busy city and suburbs of the New York metro area. I bought a new automatic car here in the UK in September 2017 and have been driving 40 miles a day to/from work on my provisional licence. I'm a fairly confident driver at this point. My biggest problem is getting used to the "opposite perception" when it comes to reversing -- in New York I could parallel park like a stunt driver, but my depth judgement from the other side of the car is still pretty poor when it comes to reversing into parking bays and driveways. Also, sometimes very large roundabouts still confuse me in terms of lane selection, though it gets easier each time. Or, at least, I keep myself from panicking and if I have to go around again, so be it.

I live in South Yorkshire and was planning on booking my practical near my workplace, which is in a sleepy suburb of Nottinghamshire (no large roundabouts, etc) that happens to have a testing centre. This particular location has next to no waiting list for test bookings as well. I otherwise live close to a "big" city, but I'd rather not take it there as there is this one nemesis roundabout that I just know would be part of the test route.

I realize the new test only went into effect on 4 December, so I understand that getting first-hand accounts of it at this point is not likely. Still, I'm interested in anyone's tales of their practicals and preparation.

Thanks, as always!

TL;DR - Take lessons and use the instructor's car? Or fly by the seat of my pants and take the practical in my own car?
Married in NY: 18 April 2017
Spouse Visa received: 29 June 2017 (27 business days, Priority)
Relocated to UK: 16 July 2017
FLR(M) biometrics: 28 February 2020 (online app 17 January 2020)
FLR(M) granted: 12 March 2020 (10 business days, Standard) *BRP received 2 April 2020
ILR forecast: 17 July 2022 - 10 October 2022

• Liked: 4985
Re: The Practical: Lessons & Instructor's Car vs. No Lessons & My Car
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 11:55:09 AM »
Keep in mind the lessons are not to teach you to drive but how to pass the test.

They are pretty anal here.  Lots of exaggerated mirror checks in a specific order, picky about hand placement on the wheel at all times especially when turning, parking break used whenever you stop, a weird manuever for hill starts with the hand brake IN AN AUTOMATIC.  Lol.  It's bonkers.

100% up to you if you wing it or do lessons.  But I needed the lessons to break old habits and pass.  They are expensive thougH.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 12:17:32 PM »
TL;DR - take a few lessons to learn to pass the test, use the instructor's car for the test.

Like KFdancer says, the important thing is to find an instructor who understands you're not learning to drive, you're learning to pass the test, and can tailor their instruction accordingly.

My suggestion is to skip the mock tests, but use the instructor's car for the real test. I say that because the car you take the test in has to be able to pass it's MOT (Ministry of Transport) test, which is like a vehicle inspection in the US, only more stringent.

If you take your own car to the test and there's something wrong with it that would cause it to fail an MOT, you won't be able to use it for the test. I'm not saying this is likely, but it could be something simple like your license plate has degraded or your tire tread depth is too shallow, and if you got a tester who is in a bad mood or just likes to be really really thorough, you could run into problems.

If you use your instructor's car, you know it's up to the MOT standard because they have to be in order to use it for teaching. The tester will know that, too, and will most likely not take as much interest in the car's fitness.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 12:24:35 PM »
The thing is... I've found that lessons (£27 per hour), mock tests (£75) and use of the instructor's car (£75) are extortionate!

They charge extra for mock tests and using the instructor's car now? Wow, times have changed since I learned to drive.

Back in 2000/2001, the fees I paid were:
Lessons = £14 per hour, 2 hours per week
Mock test = No extra charge (just done during a lesson)
Use of instructor's car for the test = No extra charge

I would definitely recommend taking at least a couple of lessons though, just to make sure you know how to pass the test. You have to do some things really specifically, like how you check your mirrors, how you turn the steering wheel, how many inches you are from the curb during a manoeuvre etc. 

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 01:34:48 PM »
Although I have no specific information, I would not count on driving by yourself to the test and back.  Even if it's legal, it's going to be so confusing to the examiners that it's bound to cause trouble.  Even if you actually drive both ways but just appear to have another driver it will cause less confusion.

If you need a bit of practice parallel parking and you do this in your instructor's car, take the test in that car.  Often the instructors place stickers on the door pillars as a reference so those will be there as well. 

I've no experience with the new test other than it is new and has pissed off the examiners enough that they are striking.  The old test was hard enough and I was lucky to pass first time after driving in the states for years.

I'd guess that mock tests are just a money making thing to prey on anxious pupils.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 03:37:30 PM »
I just passed my practical in March, and I agree with everybody above.  Especially whoever it was who said that they are "anal" here.  I had a total of 6 hours of lessons, plus the test day use of the car (with a short lesson prior to the test just to be sure I'm ready).  I spent about £150, total.

My instructor acknowledged my 20+ years of US driving experience, and was satisfied with my ability to drive.  For my lessons, she had me drive on the various test routes so I would be familiar with the area on the day of the test, and then she taught me the maneuvers exactly as the examiner wants to see them done.

At first, I thought she was just being weird and really particular, and I resented her a bit.  But after taking the test, I realize how invaluable she was.  I can honestly say I would not have passed without her.

Also, there are a bunch of rules about the car you test in.  I strongly urge you to just find the money and test in an instructor's car (which will be already approved, because that's what they do for a living), but if you do think you want to wing it in your own car, make sure you look at what your car needs to have and get it sorted before the test day.  If you show up and your car is disqualified, you have to rebook the test and pay again.  No refunds.

Edit to add:   https://www.gov.uk/driving-test/using-your-own-car
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:41:50 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 21
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 09:53:47 PM »
I took lessons and took the test in my own car! Passed first time. I feel if I didn't take lessons, I would have failed. They are very picky over here and there are things you need to do very specifically to pass the test. A good instructor will teach you all these, and will also let you know when he/she feels you are ready for the test. I had  11 one hour lessons, which took about 2 months.

Before I passed my test, I had been driving in my own car for 9 months. I took one lesson in my instructor's car and it just didn't feel right- my own car was what I knew and what I was comfortable with, so I decided to take the tests and lessons in my car. I got L plates on it, an extra mirror for my instructor, and called my insurance company to make sure I was insured for driving lessons and test. My car also had a recent MOT and was taxed, so it was good to go for the test.

I don't know the specifics around driving yourself home after a test... but my instructor said that even if I passed I wouldn't be allowed to drive home, due to insurance issues. When I got home I let my insurance company know I had passed my test (was still driving on my US license at the time).

Background on me as a driver:
I've already decided (to the great displeasure of all our British spouses, it seems :P) to take the automatic test.

Another auto driver here  :) My husband gave me a few manual lessons, but ultimately I decided to go for automatic. He too was very disappointed in me when I made that decision but eventually got over it. I was a really nervous driver over here to begin with and had no desire to learn/drive a manual. Automatic just made sense. To each his own... many people do fine in a manual but just wasn't for me.

4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 09:59:16 AM »
Thanks, everyone. I'll book a lesson after the holidays and report back.

I'm curious -- what are the most common American driving habits that instructors call out?
FLR(M) granted: 12 March 2020 (10 business days, Standard) *BRP received 2 April 2020

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 10:04:57 AM »
Thanks, everyone. I'll book a lesson after the holidays and report back.

I'm curious -- what are the most common American driving habits that instructors call out?

Not using the parking brake every time you stop (like at a red light)
Not checking the mirrors like a psycho every 5 seconds
As of a couple of days ago, you aren't required to reverse around a corner anymore.  Can't say I ever did that before!   ;)
I also didn't shuffle the wheel all the time, but would allow the wheel to turn naturally between my hands.

My test was about 7 years ago so I don't remember too much.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 10:16:42 AM »
I also didn't shuffle the wheel all the time, but would allow the wheel to turn naturally between my hands.

My god, the wheel shuffling! I don't even know any British people who drive like that, and have never heard of anyone doing it outside of a driving test.

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 11:28:50 AM »
Not using the parking brake every time you stop (like at a red light)

Ha! Don't even get me started on the hand brake [smiley=laugh4.gif]

I remember when studying for the theory test I read that the reason you use the hand brake at red lights to is to "avoid dazzling drivers behind you." DAZZLE others with your brake lights?! Homie, what???

However, oncoming traffic can freely dazzle me with their highbeams at dusk every single day. Ok, cool. :P

• Liked: 21
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 02:55:08 PM »
Yes on the checking mirrors thing- all 3! While mirror checking is important, I’d much rather pay attention to the road in front of me than obsessively checking my mirrors all the time. It’s overkill. 

I too read about how braking “dazzles” other drivers in some test learning materials. Um, if you’re that dazzled by lights you shouldn’t be driving. Braking is an essential part of driving.

I was also taught by my instructor to NOT check over my shoulder while merging onto a dual carriageway, motorway, etc... just rely on mirrors.    ??? I didn’t have to go on a dual carriageway for my test, luckily. However, I always look over my shoulder when merging.
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 03:03:08 PM »
Don't forget about roundabouts, you have to be able to use the correctly, which means not stopping unless required and forcing your way in when it's right.  I'd imagine those are things that most Americans may not naturally get. 

Don't worry about the motorway, last I heard it's illegal for learners to go on the motorway.  After all, that stuff is not difficult or important.  Just move into the middle lane and stay there......

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 03:15:41 PM »
Don't worry about the motorway, last I heard it's illegal for learners to go on the motorway.  After all, that stuff is not difficult or important.  Just move into the middle lane and stay there......

Or the fast lane.  But make sure you find two other cars doing the same speed, one in the slow lane and one in the middle lane, and keep pace for about 60 miles watching thousands of cars stack up behind you!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 03:21:06 PM »
Or the fast lane.  But make sure you find two other cars doing the same speed, one in the slow lane and one in the middle lane, and keep pace for about 60 miles watching thousands of cars stack up behind you!

The best speed to coordinate that at is around 55mph.

Sponsored Links