Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US Police Certificate  (Read 273 times)

• Liked: 3
US Police Certificate
« on: December 08, 2017, 04:15:52 PM »
We've just received an email asking for "An up-to-date US police certificate in your name" to be emailed to Sheffield in the next 5 working days.

Has anyone got any experience of what exactly is required? Does a certificate from the Local police department suffice or does it need a FBI records check? Looking on the FBI website it says processing time is 14-16 weeks which is a huge problem if we need this.

Thanks

• Liked: 3595
Re: US Police Certificate
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 04:29:04 PM »
If it's just asking for a police certificate, you should be able to just provide one from the local police department. I think they would have specified if they needed an FBI check.

I had to get a US police certificate for the security clearance at my job (I'm British but had lived in the US the year before I got the job) and it was just a case of filling out a form and sending it to the police department of the US city I had lived in. However, it did take a few weeks to receive it in the UK (maybe 3 weeks or so), I think (this was in 2009).... unless there's any way to get one sent to you electronically now.

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 04:35:59 PM »
Thanks. New Orleans PD (where have been living and address on appication) have said they can provide a background check and letter of good conduct within half an hour; however currently in Houston staying with parents until visa arrives. Obviously can get to NOLA for Monday to visit the PD but if that isn't sufficient leaves us in a hole when emailed back to Sheffield.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 04:43:59 PM »
Thanks. New Orleans PD (where have been living and address on appication) have said they can provide a background check and letter of good conduct within half an hour; however currently in Houston staying with parents until visa arrives. Obviously can get to NOLA for Monday to visit the PD but if that isn't sufficient leaves us in a hole when emailed back to Sheffield.

Sounds like you might be okay, if you can get it quickly enough to email it to Sheffield within the 5 working days.

I haven't ever heard of anyone needing an FBI check for a visa before (normally that's only needed for certain types of UK jobs)... in fact, I've never heard of them requesting a police certificate before either, but if they're requesting it, you'll need to send it.

Quick question though: if you have used the NOLA address on the application, will you be able to get back to that address to pick up your passport and documents when they arrive?

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 04:54:53 PM »
We've mentioned to UPS we're on holiday so they hold any deliveries at location of our choice. As soon as we have the decision email then we can get back and pick up from them - thanks for checking though.

There were 3 driving offences on the application which we had provided court documents for - most serious DUI which was spent a few years ago. Assuming the additional request is because of these...just a shame the request isn't perfectly clear!

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 05:10:52 PM »
We've mentioned to UPS we're on holiday so they hold any deliveries at location of our choice. As soon as we have the decision email then we can get back and pick up from them - thanks for checking though.

No worries - just wanted to make sure because we've had people who have provided one address for the application but have then had to move before the visa was decided.

There were 3 driving offences on the application which we had provided court documents for - most serious DUI which was spent a few years ago. Assuming the additional request is because of these...just a shame the request isn't perfectly clear!

Ah, yes, that would make sense. I would usually suggest sending your police record as well as the court documents, just to be safe... and it sounds like it is something they need to have after all.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab