Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Question on the Original Bank Statements  (Read 268 times)

• Liked: 39
Question on the Original Bank Statements
« on: December 11, 2017, 01:12:45 AM »
Hey there,
So this will be our third attempt at getting the applications sent off. Each time we've been delayed due to the sale of my house falling through. Each time my husband has had to request statements from his bank early. We have the dates covered completely, but the originals he received from the bank have DUPLICATE on them, since they aren't the standard statements. Also adding to the stress is when he requested an early statement, he didn't receive his usual statement for that time period. Will these statements saying duplicate on them cause an issue, they are the originals he received and in color, but they just say DUPLICATE. Should we make a note on the aplications explaining this? Thanks so much!
Submitted Dec. 22, 2017
Biometrics and sent  Dec. 27, 2017
Received in Sheffield Dec. 29, 2017
Confirmation email Jan. 3, 2018
Application not straight forward email January 25, 2018
Decision email: March 29, 2018
Decision received: April 2, 2018
APPROVED!!!!!

• Liked: 98
Re: Question on the Original Bank Statements
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 02:27:02 AM »
Hi Southernbetty!

I won't claim to be an expert on this, especially as we're still waiting to hear back from Sheffield. That said, our immigration solicitor was very clear on this point with us and I'll share her advice with you.

I believe you have three options:
  • Provide the originals you received in the mail. This wasn't an option for us, because we were both enrolled in paperless statements.
  • Provide a letter from the bank, verifying the authenticity of the statements - noting which ones are included. This is what we did for my partner's statements from PNC, as they were willing to provide the letter on their letterhead with a wet signature.
  • Provide duplicates or online printoffs, with each sheet being individually certified by the issuing authority. This is what I had to do because Wells Fargo refused to give me a letter like PNC did for my partner. Instead, I sat there at the branch while they stamped and signed each sheet from my last 6 months of statements.

Be sure that your statements cover the full 6 months. I initially just got 6 statements but the lawyer said UKVI is very strict about it being a full six months. Mine were 1 day short of six months so I had to go back and get an extra month certified.

One of the experts on the forum may have better advice for you, but this was how we dealt with it. Hopefully we didn't screw it up!

Good luck with the house sale and the application! We decided not to list until I had the visa in hand, so I'm hoping it doesn't sit on the market. Just waiting on the decision now.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 12:07:25 PM by FLgator86 »
FLR(M) Visa #1
Applied from: Washington D.C.
Priority: Yes (VFS Gold Premuim)
Online App: 17 Nov 17
Appt at PAC: 29 Nov 17
Decision Made Email: 5 Jan 18
Passport sent to PAC:  8 Jan 18
Passport rcv'd: 13 Jan 18
Moved to UK: 1 Feb 18
±25 WD for a decision
———————————————————
FLR(M) Visa #2
Online App: 25 Jul 20
IDV App: 9 Sep 20
Priority: No (not avail)
Approval email: 9 Dec 20
BRP rcv’d: 18 Feb 20
±97 BD for a decision
———————————————————
ILR
Online App: 11 Jan 23
Priority: Super
Bio Appt: 7 Feb 23
Approval: 7 Feb 23
BRP rcv’d: 10 Feb 23

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 04:26:26 AM »
Hey there,
So this will be our third attempt at getting the applications sent off. Each time we've been delayed due to the sale of my house falling through. Each time my husband has had to request statements from his bank early. We have the dates covered completely, but the originals he received from the bank have DUPLICATE on them, since they aren't the standard statements. Also adding to the stress is when he requested an early statement, he didn't receive his usual statement for that time period. Will these statements saying duplicate on them cause an issue, they are the originals he received and in color, but they just say DUPLICATE. Should we make a note on the aplications explaining this? Thanks so much!

That's fine. Because they came directly from the bank, they are originals for this purpose. Just make sure they cover the whole time frame and are dated within 28 days of the online application. No need to explain but you can if it makes you feel more comfortable.  :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 04:41:45 AM »
Hi Southernbetty!

I won't claim to be an expert on this, especially as we're still waiting to hear back from Sheffield. That said, our immigration solicitor was very clear on this point with us and I'll share her advice with you.

I believe you have three options:
  • Provide the originals you received in the mail. This wasn't an option for us, because we were both enrolled in paperless statements.
  • Provide a letter from the bank, verifying the authenticity of the statements - noting which ones are included. This is what we did for my partner's statements from PNC, as they were willing to provide the letter on their letterhead with a wet signature.
  • Provide duplicates or online printoffs, with each sheet being individually certified by the issuing authority. This is what I had to do because Wells Fargo refused to give me a letter like PNC did for my partner. Instead, I sat there at the branch while they stamped and signed each sheet from my last 6 months of statements.

Be sure that your statements cover the full 6 months. I initially just got 6 statements but the lawyer said UKVI is very strict about it being a full six months. Mine were 1 day short of six months so I had to go back and get an extra month certified.

One of the experts on the forum may have better advice for you, but this was how we dealt with it. Hopefully we didn't screw it up! Here's what the UKVI website says about certifying documents: https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document

Good luck with the house sale and the application! We decided not to list until I had the visa in hand, so I'm hoping it doesn't sit on the market. Just waiting on the decision now.

Just a couple of points. That link you give is to the .gov site from the births, deaths and marriages section. While also on the .gov site (there is no UKVI site per se), the information pertaining to visas is extremely specific so it's best to refer to the visa sections when doing your research.

This is the relevant guidance for bank statements. Bold mine.

.1. In relation to evidencing the financial requirements in Appendix FM the following general provisions shall apply:
(a) Bank statements must:
(i) be from a financial institution regulated by the appropriate regulatory body for the country in which that institution is operating.
(ii) not be from a financial institution on the list of excluded institutions in Appendix P of these rules.
(iii) in relation to personal bank statements be only in the name of:
(1) the applicant’s partner, the applicant or both as appropriate; or
(2) if the applicant is a child the applicant parent’s partner, the applicant’s parent or both as appropriate; or
(3) if the applicant is an adult dependent relative, the applicant’s sponsor or the applicant, unless otherwise stated.
(iv) cover the period(s) specified.
(v) be:
(1) on official bank stationery; or
(2) electronic bank statements which are either accompanied by a letter from the bank on its headed stationery confirming that the documents are authentic or which bear the official stamp of the issuing bank on every page

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

So the bank statements if not original or not accompanied by a letter, only need to be stamped on each page by the bank. They don't have to be certified by the method from the link that you quoted which requires all of the following but is for a different purpose.

How to certify a document
Take the photocopied document and the original and ask the person to certify the copy by:

writing ‘Certified to be a true copy of the original seen by me’ on the document
signing and dating it
printing their name under the signature
adding their occupation, address and telephone number

Also, it looks like southernbetty is relying on proceeds from the sale of a house to meet the savings requirement, in which case the money need not have been held for the full 6 months as long as the house was owned for longer than that.

• Liked: 39
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 05:04:36 AM »
Thanks so much! I do feel better as these did come from his bank. At this point we have about 8 months of statements. I may have him take the past few months and just have the bank certify them to be safe.

No the house won't be included to meet the financial requirement. He makes enough to cover me and my son. We just wanted the house to sell to help pay for the visas and so I'd be a bit independent once I'm there until I find work. I've always supported my family and I need that Independence or I'll go crazy. Lol.
Thanks so much for all the help. Hopefully the house will close in the next week and then we can hit that submit button! I'm sure I will be posting our documents on here just to get more feed back before I send. This is the best place for help!
Submitted Dec. 22, 2017
Biometrics and sent  Dec. 27, 2017
Received in Sheffield Dec. 29, 2017
Confirmation email Jan. 3, 2018
Application not straight forward email January 25, 2018
Decision email: March 29, 2018
Decision received: April 2, 2018
APPROVED!!!!!

• Liked: 98
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 12:16:02 PM »
Thanks Larrabee! You're one of the experts I was referring to  :)

I should've been more careful with that link - I've deleted it from my previous reply so I wouldn't inadvertently screw someone up.

We did initially get Wells Fargo to send me copies so they would officially be originals from the bank. Ours said duplicate too and moreover, were unusable because they were poor quality (looked like they'd been faxed) and cut off along one edge. We got the letter from PNC and stamped copies from WF so we could be certain they'd be acceptable.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 12:20:55 PM by FLgator86 »
FLR(M) Visa #1
Applied from: Washington D.C.
Priority: Yes (VFS Gold Premuim)
Online App: 17 Nov 17
Appt at PAC: 29 Nov 17
Decision Made Email: 5 Jan 18
Passport sent to PAC:  8 Jan 18
Passport rcv'd: 13 Jan 18
Moved to UK: 1 Feb 18
±25 WD for a decision
———————————————————