Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Urgent Query on Passport  (Read 1274 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Urgent Query on Passport
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 06:47:02 PM »
Hey KF!  Could I get some guidance also?

I'm American, living in England.  My husband and I married in 2008 and I have a ILR (Spouse) and a Residence Permit that doesn't expire until 2023.  My US passport expires in January (oh yes, of course I have a Barbados trip paid for that begins the last week in January) ... my US Passport and my Residence Permit are still in my maiden name.

I also have an expired US Driver's license in my married name, and my SSN has been changed to my married name as well.

Now, I'd be happy to switch over all of these remaining IDs to my married name except that this past October when we were on holiday in Florida... while I had no problems getting into the US, I was told by American Airlines agent that I might not be able to fly when it came to returning to the UK.  This was because my plane ticket was issued in my married name (paid for in my married name) and my US Passport is issued in my maiden name.  I had my marriage certificate with me, but they were unhappy with using that document.  When I went through additional TSA Screening, they were okay with accepting my EXPIRED driver's license that reflected my married name... I just happened to have that on me even though it was expired... and thank goodness because even though with us were my 6 year old Autistic son and my 4 year old daughter who is recovering from cancer treatment... with us and I was terrified at the prospect of having to send them home (to the UK) without me... even though, all of these years I've been following relevant legislation to the best of my ability.

With consideration that immigration in the UK, esp w/ Brexit... is as much of a moving target as is immigration in the US at present... does it make more sense for me to go ahead and move forward with switching everything over to my married name (including this recent US Passport renewal), or does it make more sense to roll everything back to my maiden name.  Add in the whole digital-identity and identity theft BS we've all got to deal with now, as well.

We're flexible, either way.  But what's the most practical?

Best and Thanks in Advance for your Expertise!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 06:54:29 PM »
Well, legally if you've changed your social security number, you are required to change your passport.

And the ticket agent was 100% right, you need to use the name on your passport for your ticket.  Glad it worked out on the end, but I wouldn't recommend chancing again.

If you change your name to your married name on your passport, you'll need to update your BRP as well.  That's expensive (a few hundred pounds) and time consuming (up to six months).

Options are to continue using your maiden name it switch your SS back.  Or change to married name and get a new BRP.  Or apply for British citizenship.

• Liked: 16
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 09:44:31 PM »
hey kissofdeath, have you got your renewed passport back yet? I think I sent mine just after you (the 19th) and I'm antsy to get it back!
Sept '11: premium service same-day tier 4 visa granted in NYC
July '13: tier 4 visa - applied from boston
October '14: FLRM - applied priority in sheffield office
March '17: FLRM 2 - applied priority in sheffield office
Sept 2019: IRL, priority at Croydon, granted same day
October 2019: submitted naturalisation application
January 2020: citizenship approved!
March 2020: last citizenship ceremony before covid :-O

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 10:39:37 AM »
hey kissofdeath, have you got your renewed passport back yet? I think I sent mine just after you (the 19th) and I'm antsy to get it back!

Haven't sent it yet. I filled out the paperwork and things got stressful with the holidays so I will be sorting it out shortly. Put it off because I was a bit stressed with the "getting it sent off" process. I need to though as I have a lot of trips this year...ughhh
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab