Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Any advice for finding pet friendly properties?  (Read 2859 times)

• Liked: 20
Re: Any advice for finding pet friendly properties?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 12:53:53 PM »
To be fair, if I were letting my property through a management company, I'd probably expect them to earn their keep. My sister rents her house out through a PM company but they only set foot there if the tenant calls about something. Sounds like the inspections are a common enough clause that I wouldn't want to risk it.

I agree and have no problem at all with the inspections. I suspect that the agency is not alerting the landlord to the issues with this flat. They are seeing the water damage grow larger each time they visit. I can’t imagine an owner wanting that to go on, but I can’t figure out how to get around them. I am documenting however with photos and e mails

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 08:24:29 PM »
Has that changed recently? When I was renting in England (between 2002 and 2016), I seem to remember that the properties I lived in were only inspected every 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's only every 6 months, at least that's what it said in our contract. It could be 90 days if that's what your contract says.

The first house I lived in the landlords NEVER visited and we had our dog in the house for 15 months, we were not supposed to have a pet. He even did some damage that I fixed and they never noticed.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 09:38:49 AM »
Just remember, a lot of the properties that say "no" to pets on sites like Rightmove may not be against having pets. Sometimes, if they don't care either way, they will put a standard "no" answer onto the post. It never hurts to ask. If you like a property, always ask. That's what the estate agents posted on our ad for our rental property. We said we weren't bothered either way as long as it was small-med size pet (it would just require some extra stipulations) but they put "no" so always ask. Worse case scenario, you get a "no". Best case scenario, you're able to work something out :)

Definitely don't give up!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 98
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 12:03:53 PM »
Just remember, a lot of the properties that say "no" to pets on sites like Rightmove may not be against having pets. Sometimes, if they don't care either way, they will put a standard "no" answer onto the post. It never hurts to ask. If you like a property, always ask. That's what the estate agents posted on our ad for our rental property. We said we weren't bothered either way as long as it was small-med size pet (it would just require some extra stipulations) but they put "no" so always ask. Worse case scenario, you get a "no". Best case scenario, you're able to work something out :)

Definitely don't give up!

Thanks! We've started emailing individual owners/contacts, as we've been able to find them. I do think we have to give up on apartments in the city center as some of the estate agents have  told us it's not up to the individual owners. Apparently some of these fancier flats in the city centre are on land where owners pay ground rent and the 'no pets' applies to the land lease for the whole building?

Seems like we'll have to go for a house. We've gotten one positive sounding response, just saying he might consider it for a £2k deposit. It's just more than we wanted to spend, more house than we need and far from an ideal location but at least it's a start  ;D

We'll stick with it... Thanks again everyone for all your advice! Oh the things we take for granted lol
FLR(M) #1 (±25 WD)
Applied from: D.C.
Priority: Yes (VFS Gold Premuim)
Applied: 17 Nov 17
Appt at PAC: 29 Nov 17
Decision Email: 5 Jan 18
Passport sent to PAC:  8 Jan 18
Passport rcv'd: 13 Jan 18
Moved to UK: 1 Feb 18
——————————————
FLR(M) #2 (±97 WD)
Applied: 25 Jul 20
IDV: 9 Sep 20
Priority: No (n/a)
Approval: 9 Dec 20
BRP rcv’d: 18 Feb 20
——————————————
ILR
Applied: 11 Jan 23
Priority: Super
Bio Appt: 7 Feb 23
Approval: 7 Feb 23
BRP rcv’d: 10 Feb 23
——————————————
Citizenship
Online App: 24 Feb 24
Bio Appt: 2 Mar 24
Awaiting Decision

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 12:11:24 PM »
Thanks! We've started emailing individual owners/contacts, as we've been able to find them. I do think we have to give up on apartments in the city center as some of the estate agents have  told us it's not up to the individual owners. Apparently some of these fancier flats in the city centre are on land where owners pay ground rent and the 'no pets' applies to the land lease for the whole building?

Seems like we'll have to go for a house. We've gotten one positive sounding response, just saying he might consider it for a £2k deposit. It's just more than we wanted to spend, more house than we need and far from an ideal location but at least it's a start  ;D

We'll stick with it... Thanks again everyone for all your advice! Oh the things we take for granted lol

Yeah you'll always end up paying more - whether deposit or actual rent - to have a pet unfortunately (in 99.999% of cases at least) as it's more of a risk to the landlord so that's not too uncommon.

Glad to hear you are getting some positive replies though :)
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 03:14:15 PM »

Our pets are worth it though, right?  ;D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 03:15:08 PM »

You betcha!

• Liked: 56
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 08:51:23 PM »
I do have to say though that our landlords who live in Singapore asked to stop by when they were in London in September (lovely couple!) and they were fine with pets when we moved in (mostly why we took the place) and thought our two cats were adorable. Their visit was more to inspect what the handyman had fixed and the damage from the prior tenant and to meet us.

They saw all the damage from the family before us - and were very glad they were just renting to a couple again with only pets! I mean cats can have accidents and some people aren't good about cleaning pets, but kids can do some serious damage too.

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 09:53:17 PM »
They saw all the damage from the family before us - and were very glad they were just renting to a couple again with only pets! I mean cats can have accidents and some people aren't good about cleaning pets, but kids can do some serious damage too.

So true! Our house here in Maryland was a foreclosure that I bought and renovated about 9 years ago. IDK who lived there before us, but the kids rooms were a total nightmare!
FLR(M) #1 (±25 WD)
——————————————
FLR(M) #2 (±97 WD)
——————————————
ILR
——————————————
Citizenship
Awaiting Decision

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 09:54:34 PM »

Without a doubt!
FLR(M) #1 (±25 WD)
——————————————
FLR(M) #2 (±97 WD)
——————————————
ILR
——————————————
Citizenship
Awaiting Decision

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2017, 05:48:42 AM »
Just wanted to follow-up and thank everyone for the advice. The persistence paid off... We're scheduled to look at a high-rise apartment in the city centre, and failing that, a couple of bungalows within three miles of three city centre. All of these places said 'no pets' on their listings but agreed to accommodate us in the end.

Now... we just need to finish sorting out the logistics of moving kitty!
FLR(M) #1 (±25 WD)
——————————————
FLR(M) #2 (±97 WD)
——————————————
ILR
——————————————
Citizenship
Awaiting Decision

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 06:10:11 AM »
Just wanted to follow-up and thank everyone for the advice. The persistence paid off... We're scheduled to look at a high-rise apartment in the city centre, and failing that, a couple of bungalows within three miles of three city centre. All of these places said 'no pets' on their listings but agreed to accommodate us in the end.

Now... we just need to finish sorting out the logistics of moving kitty!

Excellent!  ;D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2017, 08:40:30 AM »
Great news!

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2017, 03:49:02 PM »
Amazing! :)
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links