Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Roads and Rail rant...  (Read 1749 times)

• Liked: 15
Roads and Rail rant...
« on: December 12, 2017, 07:41:37 PM »
I was almost in tears today and that is a big deal for me as I'm fairly good at keeping it all bottled up.
My 5 year old daughter's nativity play was today and she even had a couple lines and a solo.  I was only 15mins away - left 40 mins to the start of the play...and do you know what?!! I missed the damn thing cause I got stuck behind an accident.  I cannot understand these roads - I mean hours people have been stuck - I was lucky at only 1.5 hours.  But not to have a shoulder or turn around openings in the median??? And I would say okay things happen but last night it took my husband 4 hours to get home form London on the train! It's only a 1.5 he commute (and yes that's long enough).  He barely was able to keep a schedule in August w all the rail schedule changes.
How do people keep appointments, meetings, etc when travel/transport is so unpredictable!

The one time i didn't put on the GPS for traffic :(
There were two other moms who missed it as well and the one was a mess/in tears.
I'm so tired of being stuck in traffic....and so far out from London never thought I'd have to deal w such travel woes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2001 - moved to the UK on a student visa
2002 - 2 year work visa (and met hubby later that year)
2004 - moved w UKC hubby to US
2012 - UKC hubby now a dual national (USC)
Apr 2015 - moved back to UK w DH and two DD

• Liked: 4985
Re: Roads and Rail rant...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 08:02:25 PM »
I hear you!  It's awful by me as well.  Took 25 minutes to drive the less than one mile to my daughters nursery this morning (and yes, we drove.  I expect to receive backlash for this but it's a major road!) 

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 08:12:33 PM »
I hear you!  It's awful by me as well.  Took 25 minutes to drive the less than one mile to my daughters nursery this morning (and yes, we drove.  I expect to receive backlash for this but it's a major road!)

I would've driven.   ::)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 08:20:23 PM »
Girl, I feel your pain! This is my number one pet peeve about the UK. I used to commute 30-ish miles to work, and it never took less than an hour. Driving, if there were any road works on the tiny little roads between my town and the city I worked in, long delays. Traffic was usually OK until I got to the outskirts of the city, but from there it would be gridlock and there was only one route from the outskirts to the centre, which meant EVERYONE was on the same road. On the train, there were delays 90% of the time, meaning I often had more than two hours between arriving at the station and arriving home. The issues were constant, unceasing, and the worst thing is that absolutely no one cares. The train companies don't give a damn about whether people actually arrive at their destinations, because the government will keep subsidising them regardless of how poor their service records are. They don't make any effort to improve their systems or to anticipate solutions to problems that they could easily anticipate BECAUSE THEY HAPPEN ALL THE TIME!! I work from home now and my stress levels are astronomically reduced.

This is the downside of living in a country where traditions can be centuries old. Sometimes that's charming, but it also discourages innovation or incentive to make changes to things that "have always been done this way".
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 149
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 08:26:19 PM »
I don't know how some of you do it. I hate traffic (duh?....doesn't everybody?) and would do almost anything not to put up with what some of you do. Harrogate has crap traffic......but compared to London these days......yeesh.
Fred

• Liked: 15
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 08:51:26 PM »
The issues were constant, unceasing, and the worst thing is that absolutely no one cares.
This is what is mind boggling to me...think of how much more productive we would be if we could actually get places efficiently...UGH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2001 - moved to the UK on a student visa
2002 - 2 year work visa (and met hubby later that year)
2004 - moved w UKC hubby to US
2012 - UKC hubby now a dual national (USC)
Apr 2015 - moved back to UK w DH and two DD

• Liked: 66
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 08:06:57 PM »
I'm so sorry that you got caught in such traffic to miss the play <3

After living in the traffic hell that is Los Angeles (SoCal in general, to be fair), I have zero intention of getting my license in the UK. As we're doing our "goodbye USA" tour this week, we went to get brunch yesterday at a place about 45 miles away (it's a treat) and it took about 2 hours to get there on the freeway. We weren't even going with the rush hour traffic. I'm getting angry all over again just typing this.
Spouse Visa (Priority)

App Submitted Online: 18 Oct 2017
Biometrics + Docs Sent: 23 Oct 2017
Received in Sheffield email: 25 Oct 2017
Decision email: 20 Nov 2017 (18 BD)
Passport received: 22 Nov 2017 (APPROVED)
Travel to UK: 28 Dec 2017

FLR(m):
App Submitted Online: 08 July 2020
Biometrics submitted via IDV app: 7 Sept 2020
Approval: 19 Nov 2020

ILR (Priority):
App submitted: 19 Jan 2023
Biometrics: 8 Feb 2023
Approval: 8 Feb 2023

Citizenship:
App submitted: 28 July 2023
Biometrics: 17 Aug 2023
Approval: 27 Nov 2023
Ceremony: 27 Nov 2023

• Liked: 56
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 08:18:48 PM »
I walked home most of the way last night from the work Christmas party because it was faster than sitting in traffic on the bus. Bus and I played leapfrog until got past the worst of it and then i decided to ride the rest of the way :)

Hampshire is gorgeous but once you get down into Exeter and beyond its like everything seizes up worse because of single track roads, giant hedges, and well, just not enough roads. Other half is on site in Chester and he made it from our house in London to the site FASTER on Monday after the snow than the people living locally who had to drive on the roads and in traffic. Unbelievable.

I do wish I could drive here and go to the countryside etc, but its just too scary and uncertain.  I live here so I dont HAVE to drive, although we do have a parking spot, so its somewhat of a waste.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 08:42:26 AM »
I'm so sorry that you got caught in such traffic to miss the play <3

After living in the traffic hell that is Los Angeles (SoCal in general, to be fair), I have zero intention of getting my license in the UK. As we're doing our "goodbye USA" tour this week, we went to get brunch yesterday at a place about 45 miles away (it's a treat) and it took about 2 hours to get there on the freeway. We weren't even going with the rush hour traffic. I'm getting angry all over again just typing this.

I'd encourage you to get your license still - if for nothing else but being able to rent a car and enjoy areas you wouldn't be able to explore otherwise!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 10:48:43 AM »
You aren't in traffic, you are traffic.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 66
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 09:18:47 PM »
I'd encourage you to get your license still - if for nothing else but being able to rent a car and enjoy areas you wouldn't be able to explore otherwise!

My husband has his license and will likely get a car in the next year or so, and that's enough for me really lol. I really really despise driving.
Spouse Visa (Priority)

App Submitted Online: 18 Oct 2017
Biometrics + Docs Sent: 23 Oct 2017
Received in Sheffield email: 25 Oct 2017
Decision email: 20 Nov 2017 (18 BD)
Passport received: 22 Nov 2017 (APPROVED)
Travel to UK: 28 Dec 2017

FLR(m):
App Submitted Online: 08 July 2020
Biometrics submitted via IDV app: 7 Sept 2020
Approval: 19 Nov 2020

ILR (Priority):
App submitted: 19 Jan 2023
Biometrics: 8 Feb 2023
Approval: 8 Feb 2023

Citizenship:
App submitted: 28 July 2023
Biometrics: 17 Aug 2023