Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cancelling Christmas  (Read 3772 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Cancelling Christmas
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 09:32:12 AM »
I just gave like 30-40 beanie babies to my mom's friend who works in Hospice. They get a lot of children in with parents who are dying. It's what made me think of it.

That is absolutely lovely, Lyonaria. Will look into that too.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »
Aww, x0Kiss0fDeath sounds like it will be a hard one for him this year.  Lots of nice ideas on this thread and I hope you find something for him. 

My husband is the frustrating type too of 'I dunno' whenever I have asked what he wants. And then he goes 'I don't need anything' and I have the conversation of 'It's not want you need, it's what you want'.  And he goes 'Nothing'.   Anyways, I've got him a gift certificate to take an Indian cooking course for a day and an Indian spice tin and a pestle and mortar.  Not because he's expressed any great need to learn Indian cookery, but mostly because he gave me nothing to work with!  I know he'd enjoy it though, but it will be something he wouldn't have ever thought about doing. 

This thread has reminded me that I want to purchase some stuff for coworkers in Puerto Rico who have lost everything during the hurricane. (Work has set set up with amazon wish lists and you can adopt a family).

I hope you can find some cheer in there and hope you have a nice Christmas.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2017, 02:16:22 PM »
Aww, x0Kiss0fDeath sounds like it will be a hard one for him this year.  Lots of nice ideas on this thread and I hope you find something for him. 

My husband is the frustrating type too of 'I dunno' whenever I have asked what he wants. And then he goes 'I don't need anything' and I have the conversation of 'It's not want you need, it's what you want'.  And he goes 'Nothing'.   Anyways, I've got him a gift certificate to take an Indian cooking course for a day and an Indian spice tin and a pestle and mortar.  Not because he's expressed any great need to learn Indian cookery, but mostly because he gave me nothing to work with!  I know he'd enjoy it though, but it will be something he wouldn't have ever thought about doing. 

This thread has reminded me that I want to purchase some stuff for coworkers in Puerto Rico who have lost everything during the hurricane. (Work has set set up with amazon wish lists and you can adopt a family).

I hope you can find some cheer in there and hope you have a nice Christmas.

Yeah he's honestly the same as your husband, which is why it's hard to tell what percentage of him is against it because of his mum and what percentage is him being a person who doesn't see the need to receive presents. As he told me, he's not going to be unhappy receiving presents by any means but he just doesn't think the holiday should be about getting presents (which, to me, isn't the point of Christmas but it's something that I enjoy doing at Christmas - not sure if that makes sense?).

After we had a chat it sounded like it was two things really : A. he was putting off thinking about Christmas because it's going to be a tough time, especially as the majority of his family are off to France and B. he didn't want us to go crazy spending loads of money that we could be using for other things like DIY projects/holidays/etc.  Once I communicated what I thought was obvious from the beginning (we don't have to spend loads on each other), we were on the same page. Both of us let the date get away from us. For example, he was just talking the other day about how we should take his dad, who's in a care home, to a pub for lunch instead of eating at his care home (as the food will be MUCH better). I tried to tell him that he is going to struggle finding somewhere to go on Christmas Day with only 1 week left. He is adamant that we'll be fine and find somewhere.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab