Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Monterrey Jack - found the good stuff in Glasgow  (Read 1973 times)

• Liked: 768
Re: Monterrey Jack - found the good stuff in Glasgow
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 11:00:50 PM »
They make excellent nachos.  ;D

And it might have been a pound fifty....
I buy slabs of smoked pork belly Polish bacon. Going to have bacon, cheese and avocado for breakfast tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 584
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2017, 01:00:37 PM »
I buy slabs of smoked pork belly Polish bacon.

OMG!  Now I am going to the Polish deli when I'm back to work on Wednesday!  Do you happen to know the Polish name for it?

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2017, 01:02:49 PM »
OMG!  Now I am going to the Polish deli when I'm back to work on Wednesday!  Do you happen to know the Polish name for it?
Boczek

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2017, 01:16:36 PM »
Boczek

You star... thanks!

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2017, 06:56:39 PM »
You star... thanks!
If your Tesco has the new Polish line, they have an absolute fantastic pork belly bacon. I can even collect the grease in a jar for later use.

This Polish bacon has completely changed my living experience. I hate back bacon and even the streaky bacon is crap here.

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2017, 08:54:54 PM »
If your Tesco has the new Polish line, they have an absolute fantastic pork belly bacon. I can even collect the grease in a jar for later use.

This Polish bacon has completely changed my living experience. I hate back bacon and even the streaky bacon is crap here.

I hate back bacon too, but the dry-cured streaky from Tesco (from their 'finest' range, or whatever it's called) is very good.  I'll check Tesco for the Polish stuff, but if not,there is a proper Polish deli near my work, so I'm sure I can get it there.

• Liked: 672
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2017, 11:16:11 PM »

I love back bacon, but yeah, the streaky bacon here is... inedible. Now checking on Polish bacon for my next Tesco order!  :D

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2017, 04:55:56 PM »
I love back bacon, but yeah, the streaky bacon here is... inedible. Now checking on Polish bacon for my next Tesco order!  :D

You might also try pancetta.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2017, 08:52:02 PM »

Now pancetta is super thin and super salty.haha

The streaky bacon I get is at least less salty. We do have to add a little bit of oil to the pan to get it going though.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2017, 08:56:57 PM »
The problem with pancetta is the cost. I easily eat a pound of bacon myself at a time. I would be broke in a week buying pancetta.

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2017, 08:58:13 PM »
Now pancetta is super thin and super salty.haha

The streaky bacon I get is at least less salty. We do have to add a little bit of oil to the pan to get it going though.
You should not have to add any oil to the pan and you should have bacon grease in the pan after cooking and be able to save it. Lol

• Liked: 154
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 06:56:27 AM »
You should not have to add any oil to the pan and you should have bacon grease in the pan after cooking and be able to save it. Lol

I find the no grease when I fry bacon here. I bake it, makes it extra crispy the way I like it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 154
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 09:07:18 AM »
I'm also contemplating going out in this crap weather to just go get cheese! I haven't stopped thinking about it since this thread was posted. I've been putting it off because our Waitrose is in town and I didn't want to fight the Christmas crowds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 09:27:52 AM »

We don't eat enough bacon to save the grease without it going moldy. [smiley=bleck.gif] Not to mention the fat in it doesn't seem to render as well as it did in the US. That's why we add a little bit of oil.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 11:31:55 AM »
We don't eat enough bacon to save the grease without it going moldy. [smiley=bleck.gif] Not to mention the fat in it doesn't seem to render as well as it did in the US. That's why we add a little bit of oil.
That was my point.  If they had proper bacon here, you wouldn't have to add oil as the fat would render properly.

2 issues: most of it is wet cured and that is why you get a milky white fluid that renders out and they don't use pork belly to make bacon.

Sponsored Links