Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Condensation/mould due to poorly sealed windows  (Read 3407 times)

• Liked: 154
Re: Condensation/mould due to poorly sealed windows
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 07:35:46 AM »
I'd say you have been rather lucky, Nan!  That's quite a bit of effort.  I guess the owner wants their property to retain its value and be comfortable going forward.  Maybe they're only letting it out 'til the mortgage is paid, and then they'll retire, so they want it to be a nice place to live in the future.  The people who own our old place already had the main house to live in, so our wing was just a bit of extra income for them, to pay for holidays and stuff.

Edit:
I replied to this topic for the sole purpose of making it appear above another topic, so the forum topic list would look like this:

Took me a minute but LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 07:47:31 AM »
Oh, gosh, now I'm getting an idea how lucky I am to have found a good landlord in this Housing Agency. They installed an 'anti-damp' system, apparently, a few years before we moved in. It brings in outside air and warms it to so that it's "within 10 degrees of the inside" (or 10 degrees warmer than outside, I don't quite remember) and circulates it through our hallway as the sensor instructs. (Which explains that cold spot we thought might be a ghost ;) when we first moved in. Had to flip the switch on it's heater on.) And they installed double-pane windows just before we got here. We've been trying to figure out what the cylindrical things that are in the window-frame, but above the windows, are since we came in, and just this week found that they are "trickle vents" that are supposed to allow a minuscule amount of air in by the windows to help fight condensation. Not quite sure how bringing outside air in instead of inside air going out helps with condensation, though.

So far the only rooms we have had trouble with moisture on the windows/frames/walls are the kitchen and the  baths. As noted above, opening the windows in the summer is no big deal, but when it's below zero all week I'm not inclined to open them!  There is a very small, underpowered vent in the top corner of the kitchen that doesn't seem to do much, and the stovetop's vent-hood exhausts into the room!  I'm keeping an eye out for mold, since I'm a bit allergic, and hoping for the best. Am also now very thankful we went with a "modern" (if 1950s counts) build than that cute older place that had such charm when we viewed it! :D

To the OP, if it was me, I'm not sure I wouldn't have a little voodoo doll of that landlord... etc. ;)

That sounds great!! We used to rent a flat my husband had forever. It was a housing association flat, but the HA was amazing. The flat itself was old, but was so nice on the inside. The slightest problem they'd come running for us. I was to be honest sad to go because they were such good landlords. However, we needed a bigger place and it was a bit selfish to hold on to a low rent place when we didn't need it anymore.

We never had a drop of mould at that place. Our biggest issue is somehow we had a mouse

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 07:49:55 AM »
To be honest, this sounds a lot like my letting agent. Our mould is uncontrollable in the bathroom though we try everything to fix it. Unfortunately, I haven't made any headway on how to prove that it's not our fault. If you figure a way, let me know lol

I talked to a friend who used to be in Lettings and she said it's common for them to try to blame you. And be careful of pushing to hard because if they do a visit, and find one thing your doing wrong they'll likely blame you for everything....
GREAT

• Liked: 585
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 11:10:28 AM »

That sounds great!! We used to rent a flat my husband had forever. It was a housing association flat, but the HA was amazing. The flat itself was old, but was so nice on the inside. The slightest problem they'd come running for us. I was to be honest sad to go because they were such good landlords.

We rent from a housing association as well, and they are great.  Have never had to wait more than 1 day for any repair/issue.  Compared to 11 WEEKS when the ceiling fell down in the (private let) flat in Partick!!  >:(

• Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 07:10:19 PM »
I was curious what a Housing Association flat was?  Is that like a council house thing?

We rent from a housing association as well, and they are great.  Have never had to wait more than 1 day for any repair/issue.  Compared to 11 WEEKS when the ceiling fell down in the (private let) flat in Partick!!

I think this is the norm here. Moved three times in six years and there has always been issues. Light in bedroom flickered and had issues from day one, went out completely after the first year (on year three here now). Fell twice with two dislocations because of lighting issues. Gas leaks for 3 weeks, we were crybabies about it apparently cause we got tired of breathing gas stank. No working smoke alarm in 3 years, no CO2 monitor - this is illegal btw since Oct 2015. Apt people control gas so you have to get it through them, had nothing but problems. Lived without heating nor hot water for over a year, boiling a pot of water and washing in the sink, now pay 200-400% more for heating because we pissed them off questioning a bill they were trying to charge us that we payed already (heating issue never solved btw) - queue 4 months of emails back and forth where they just wouldn't say that we paid it, danced around the issue but didn't want to see proof but still wanted payment. Entry into our flat whenever they want without notice and not in the lease they will be doing so every month plus whenever they want. Leaks ruining the floor for years etc.  Could get a decent apartment back in San Diego for these prices and get things fixed asap.

Main gripe is it seems like it's the norm for things not to be fixed or within a timely manner -weeks, months, years even or never!  This current place we're in it took over 9 months searching daily for an opening.  It's so hard to find a place that landlords know you kind of have to put up with it.  What are you going to do? Go elsewhere? Highly unlikely without a lot of time/looking/luck.  If you piss them off you could get kicked out so people are afraid of making a stink.  The general attitude irritates me as well, you can spend months in emails getting the run around or straight up being ignored or them saying ludicrous things.  For example our bathtub needed caulking when we moved in three years ago.  Like the gap between the caulk is half an inch to 3/4 inch. We can't caulk it, they told us this already - no repairs by ourselves even a simple one like this. We had to stop showering and go to baths the first year because the adjoining room was smelling like mold/earthy smell everytime we showered (it was the closet that was adjoining so our clothes began to stink like mold) in injected bleach water into the cracks because I was unsure of what else to do (did't see visible mold though) and stopped using the shower. Asked for them to caulk, no, but don't you dare caulk. They are always going to send out someone...and don't we dare use the shower in those 3 years and get water in the cracks, also we have to supply pictures to see if we have molded up, still no repair man last time asking 2 months ago. Like if you caulk it you're in trouble, if you use the shower you're doing wrong, but wait... and one day it might get fixed. So many stories about the places I've lived, this is like 25% of them.  Yet, housing is expensive so a lot of people have to rent.  There are laws that landlords must fix things but complaining does nothing, it's like there are rights but just to sound good on paper they aren't enforced. The apathetic attitude really kills me here. 
Keepin' it real. Real annoying.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 07:06:57 AM »
I was curious what a Housing Association flat was?  Is that like a council house thing?

Yeah, similar sort of thing. 

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 08:45:40 PM »
Happy to say.. my landlord is in some scheme because we live in a low income area (could have fooled me..not a ritzy area but I wouldn’t class it a low income by any means) the council now is coming round every three months to inspect th property and make sure the landlords keeping it up to date.

Well they asked about windows and what issues we had, and said they’ll need replacing and if the landlord doesn’t do it soon call them back and they’ll make sure it happens.

I’m so happy because I think that’s our number one issue. We had to buy a new mattress because we discovered ours went moldy underneath. Talk about sickening.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 09:05:03 AM »
Oh that is beyond gross!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 06:24:10 PM »
Oh that is beyond gross!!!!!

Tell me about it... but to be honest, since discovering it,sleeping on sofas,and getting our new bed I have less stuffiness and headaches. Yay!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab