Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: usa passport renewal in the uk  (Read 1498 times)

• Liked: 16
usa passport renewal in the uk
« on: December 22, 2017, 12:48:21 PM »
Hi guys

I just sent in my passport to be renewed, via courier, to the us embassy in london. I'm also in London, they picked up my passport tuesday (the 19) and assured me it would be delivered on wednesday the 20th. the website lists 3 weeks as processing times for new passports but christmas is of course in the middle of that.

the tracking website for the courier isn't working (but I have emailed them).

so *assuming* it got to the embassy on the 20th, do we think 3 weeks is still accurate?

i've booked a holiday in late january, i'll need my passport back by january 18 for it! I've only every had one passport - got it in college - so it completely was out of my mind it would need renewing and there was less than 6 months left on it :-(

if anyone else has renewed their passports from the UK i'd really love some reassurance.
Sept '11: premium service same-day tier 4 visa granted in NYC
July '13: tier 4 visa - applied from boston
October '14: FLRM - applied priority in sheffield office
March '17: FLRM 2 - applied priority in sheffield office
Sept 2019: IRL, priority at Croydon, granted same day
October 2019: submitted naturalisation application
January 2020: citizenship approved!
March 2020: last citizenship ceremony before covid :-O

• Liked: 56
Re: usa passport renewal in the uk
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 10:22:08 PM »
I went through this end of August/early September as I wasn't paying attention to the calendar and time just kinda passed. So I had to renew with 3 weeks or so before our trip. I thought I was on top of things but then I forgot to include my original passport in the first package so I had to book a new courier again.

Ill tell you straight up that the biggest problem is the numbskull courier company they use. Seriously - solid hard core idiots work for DX. Poor communication options, poor communication when I could get through, and they charge you for calling in. The US embassy whipped my passport home and through the system in about 8 days, about 8 other days were spent trying to get hold of the couriers to have a question answered, and then, when it came back, trying to find where the hell my passport actually was as I needed it ASAP. We had issues with a courier not being able to a) find the delivery building (in central London? Really? Yeah right) and then b) saying they attempted delivery when it was to an office post room which was manned when they said they were there. Just on and on.

To be fair when I finally called them up and demanded where my passport was and that I needed it to fly in three days (more like six but I wasn't going to give them a chance) it magically appeared and was delivered next morning at 11. I vaguely seem to recall at one point emailing the embassy and maybe they got on the courier company too but yeah it finally got to me with oh, 4 or 5 days to spare. Just a bit too tight for peace of mind!

So, the US embassy will get it through (although xmas...). If you have a straight forward delivery you ought to be ok, but if you have any sort of a complication like my two packages/two tracking numbers issue then the wheels are probably gonna come off the bus (just be prepared for some suckitude). You ought to be ok for three weeks though, even with Christmas in there. Some people have had much better experiences within three weeks, so let's hope you are included in the latter group!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 10:31:04 PM by BertineC »

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 08:59:30 PM »
thanks bertine. i already had to chase DX via email on whether my passport had reached the embassy, but they did assure me it did...

reassuring to know that it took under 3 weeks in late summer which i imagine is busier than now!? still, fingers crossed!

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 10:07:41 PM »
for anyone stressed out by passport renewal - even over christmas, it took just over 3 weeks to get my passport renewed. december 19-january 11. extra pages and all. PHEW.

• Liked: 56
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 06:52:20 PM »
Oh yeah, extra pages for SURE! Glad it worked out for you!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 12:48:46 PM »
My children's passports took about 3-4 weeks to renew as I was told.  This was in October.  I had a courier pick them up and deliver the old and new ones. 

It is my understanding that US passports with chips are all processed in the US and thus the long wait.  The embassy can only process emergency / temporary passports.

Sponsored Links