Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Passport Renewal / International Money Order or Banker's Draft  (Read 3852 times)

• Liked: 0
Passport Renewal / International Money Order or Banker's Draft
« on: December 28, 2017, 05:07:51 PM »
Has anyone recently renewed their US Passport via post from inside the UK?

I'm having problems getting either an International Money Order or a Banker's Draft in USD (surprise, my bank apparently doesn't do these!)

Are these known by some other name in the UK?  Or what bank did you go with to get your Banker's Draft?

Thanks!

• Liked: 1327
Re: Passport Renewal / International Money Order or Banker's Draft
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 06:15:07 PM »
Has anyone recently renewed their US Passport via post from inside the UK?

I'm having problems getting either an International Money Order or a Banker's Draft in USD (surprise, my bank apparently doesn't do these!)

Are these known by some other name in the UK?  Or what bank did you go with to get your Banker's Draft?

Thanks!

I renewed mine in 2015, and I'm pretty sure I just used my credit/debit card to pay the fee...?  I don't remember having to do anything special.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 06:55:23 PM »
I think the change to bankers draft is very new, like in the past week.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 07:22:46 PM »
I think the change to bankers draft is very new, like in the past week.

Is it required?  That's quite a hardship for people (like me) who only bank online and with cards.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 07:26:58 PM »
It couldn't be more inconvenient!  >:(

Looks like for in person they accept cards but for mail renewals, not any more...

.Accepted payment methods are:

Applications by Mail

International Money Order to the exact U.S. dollar amount made payable to the “United States Disbursing Officer”; or
Banker’s Draft drawn in U.S. dollars only on a bank  with branches in the United States made payable to the “United States Disbursing Officer”
International Money Orders or Banker’s Drafts must have been issued within the last five months.

Please note:  We are not authorized to accept personal checks. Cash and credit will not be accepted with applications submitted by mail.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/how-to-renew-a-passport/fees/

Jennlyle, I would contact your US bank if you still have one and see if they can mail one to you.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 07:28:56 PM by larrabee »

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 04:48:13 PM »
Yeah well, loads of problems with some of that. 

I don't have a US Bank Account anymore-- it didn't make sense to me to keep a bank account over there open, especially considering fraud, etc., and it wouldn't be easy for [US centric] banks to reach me.

It looks like for an International Money Order, I do have to go to a USPS location.  Further, I saw a notice from an article that USPS posted that said that they might be doing away with International Money Orders anyways.

I've called to several banks and they tell me that they no longer do Banker's Drafts in USD in England.

Then of course, going down to London won't be easy-- I mean beyond the cost for the trip... I mean, I'm mom to an Autistic child who's little sister finished cancer treatment last Christmas (2016) ... and she's already 80% attendance at school due to post treatment scans.  Hardship.... /sigh

And then I emailed them using their form... no response.  Can't get through to anyone on their main phone line.

Does anyone know a specific person at the Embassy-- like 4-digit extension where I can actually talk to someone to figure out how to do this?

Thanks for the suggestions so far, folks.  Sorry if I sound terse-- just a bit frustrated about what should be super easy to do (and it sounds like it was, just weeks ago!)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 05:24:00 PM »
Yeah well, loads of problems with some of that. 

I don't have a US Bank Account anymore-- it didn't make sense to me to keep a bank account over there open, especially considering fraud, etc., and it wouldn't be easy for [US centric] banks to reach me.

It looks like for an International Money Order, I do have to go to a USPS location.  Further, I saw a notice from an article that USPS posted that said that they might be doing away with International Money Orders anyways.

I've called to several banks and they tell me that they no longer do Banker's Drafts in USD in England.

Then of course, going down to London won't be easy-- I mean beyond the cost for the trip... I mean, I'm mom to an Autistic child who's little sister finished cancer treatment last Christmas (2016) ... and she's already 80% attendance at school due to post treatment scans.  Hardship.... /sigh

And then I emailed them using their form... no response.  Can't get through to anyone on their main phone line.

Does anyone know a specific person at the Embassy-- like 4-digit extension where I can actually talk to someone to figure out how to do this?

Thanks for the suggestions so far, folks.  Sorry if I sound terse-- just a bit frustrated about what should be super easy to do (and it sounds like it was, just weeks ago!)

Completely understandable. What about a parent, sibling, trusted friend? Do you have anyone in the US who could get it for you there and send to you perhaps?

• Liked: 149
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 07:30:21 PM »
I'm hoping this gets an adjustment at some point.....looks like it was made by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.
Fred

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 08:12:12 PM »
I suspect it’s temporary, but that’s just my gut instinct!

• Liked: 16
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 09:40:29 PM »
woah! I literally sent in my passport for renewal on the 19th of december and paid by debit card - it was taken from my bank account on the 29th. but at that time the website also said I could not make an application in person, and now it says you can. Argh! I would have done that to speed things up as I really need my passport back straightaway!

I hope you're able to sort this, jenn. Just like the embassy to make things even harder :-(
Sept '11: premium service same-day tier 4 visa granted in NYC
July '13: tier 4 visa - applied from boston
October '14: FLRM - applied priority in sheffield office
March '17: FLRM 2 - applied priority in sheffield office
Sept 2019: IRL, priority at Croydon, granted same day
October 2019: submitted naturalisation application
January 2020: citizenship approved!
March 2020: last citizenship ceremony before covid :-O

Sponsored Links