Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fiancee > Marriage visa - FLR(M) questions  (Read 5761 times)

• Liked: 8
Fiancee > Marriage visa - FLR(M) questions
« on: December 29, 2017, 01:45:22 PM »
Thanks to help from a number of you on this forum, my fiancée is arriving in the UK in early January following the approval of her fiancée visa earlier this month ☺

We have a few further questions now that we're planning the wedding and the transition from fiancée to full marriage visa.

Firstly, what are the standard turnaround times for applying in person vs. applying by post?  My fiancée is keen to get to work as soon as possible so we’re wondering whether its worth the extra 500(?) pounds to expedite the process.

Secondly, on accommodation:  my tenancy agreement expires in late January and we will be moving into new rented accommodation following this.  Our intention is for me and my fiancée to share a room, along with two or three other housemates.

Has anyone ever experienced issues with someone on a fiancée visa being able to sign a tenancy agreement?  Obviously she wont be working and I’m unsure whether she can register with the local authority for council tax purposes etc?  Some guidance on this would be really helpful as we’re quite in the dark about it at the moment!

Here is our list of supporting docs.  Would appreciate any feedback ☺

Applicant
•   FLR(M) Application Form
•   Application Confirmation/Payment Receipt (if we decide to apply in person)
•   IHS Payment Receipt
•   Current US passport
•   2 Passport Photos with Name of Applicant on Back

Sponsor
•   UK Passport
•   1 Passport Photo with Name of Sponsor on Back

Finances
•   6 Full Months of Payslips (query – six months from when the application is sent?)
•   6 Full Months of Bank Statements (query – same as above)
•   Employer Letter (including starting date at company and rate of pay throughout employment, confirmation that the contract and pay slips are genuine)
•   Job Contract
•   P60

Accommodation
•   Tenancy agreement
Letter from landlord stating that fiancée can stay at property
Letter from housemates stating that fiancée can stay at property

Relationship
•  Marriage Certificate
•  Up to 6 pieces of mail addressed to applicant or sponsor at our address

Many thanks for any help / guidance!

J&D

• Liked: 3589
Re: Fiancee > Marriage visa - FLR(M) questions
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 01:59:30 PM »
Just to clarify, the fiancé visa IS the marriage visa ( a visa for getting married in the U.K.), so your visa path is:
Marriage (fiancé) visa -> FLR(M)

By post, it’s currently taking about 6-8 weeks for FLR(M) applications... which is pretty fast (it has taken several months in the past). It’s up to you whether she’s happy to wait that long or if she wants to be able to work sooner than that.

Someone on a fiancé visa should be fine to sign a tenancy agreement, as they have a valid visa to live in the UK. I haven’t heard of anyone having problems before.

Anyone can be added to the council tax, regardless of whether they can work or not.

Your documents look okay to me. The most recent payslip and bank statement, plus the employer letter must be dated within 28 days of either the postmarked date of the documents package if applying by post, or the in-person appointment date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 09:55:25 PM »
Thanks very much @ksand24 - helpful as ever :)

Another quick (and relatively urgent) question.  My fiancee is flying to the UK tomorrow morning.  Does she need to be prepared for anything at customs?  All she got to show her visa approval was a stamp in her passport, so we're assuming she won't need to provide any other documentation?

Many thanks!

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 10:03:18 PM »
She should only need to show her passport with visa sticker inside.

It should be a pretty straightforward entry to the UK, but she may be asked a couple of questions to confirm that she got the visa legitimately and that her circumstances haven't changed since it was approved. They will likely also ask where you are, to make sure her situation is genuine and that you are already present in the UK.

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 10:08:43 PM »
She should only need to show her passport with visa sticker inside.

It should be a pretty straightforward entry to the UK, but she may be asked a couple of questions to confirm that she got the visa legitimately and that her circumstances haven't changed since it was approved. They will likely also ask where you are, to make sure her situation is genuine and that you are already present in the UK.

Excellent!  Thanks for the swift response :)

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 02:01:52 PM »
Hi everyone

My fiancee and I are currently in the process of looking for new accommodation.  A prospective landlord has asked that my fiancee is not named on our new tenancy agreement, as she current has no source of income.

Is there any way that we could progress with the FMR(M) visa without her being a named tenant?  I don't think the landlord would be willing to write a letter saying she is living at the property.

Thanks in advance!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 02:03:54 PM »
Hi everyone

My fiancee and I are currently in the process of looking for new accommodation.  A prospective landlord has asked that my fiancee is not named on our new tenancy agreement, as she current has no source of income.

Is there any way that we could progress with the FMR(M) visa without her being a named tenant?  I don't think the landlord would be willing to write a letter saying she is living at the property.

Thanks in advance!

You have to have one or the other, either she needs to be named on the lease or have a letter of permission.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 02:17:25 PM »
You have to have one or the other, either she needs to be named on the lease or have a letter of permission.

Thanks so much for your quick response!

I've just spoken with the letting agent and he says they can provide a letter stating that she is a permanent tenant of the property.  Hopefully this should be sufficient?

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 02:19:02 PM »
Would you also be able to tell us exactly what would need to be specified in the letter?

Thanks again :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 02:19:22 PM »
Thanks so much for your quick response!

I've just spoken with the letting agent and he says they can provide a letter stating that she is a permanent tenant of the property.  Hopefully this should be sufficient?

Yup, that’s fine. That along with the lease in your name is good.

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 02:45:30 PM »
Sorry, another quick question:

We're getting married on March 9th.  We would like to organise a priority appointment asap after this.

When is the soonest we could arrange this?  Is there anything stopping us from doing it the following week (i.e. will it take some time for our marriage certificate to arrive? Or will we get this on the same day as the wedding ceremony?)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 02:47:15 PM »
You can (and should) book the appointment now.

You'll need to ask your register when you can expect the certificate.  If at a registry office, it's likely you can get a certificate the same day.

Are you sure you want to spend the extra for the in person appointment?  By post the application takes 6-8 weeks.  Just food for thought to save a bit of cash.  :)

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 02:20:03 PM »
You can (and should) book the appointment now.

You'll need to ask your register when you can expect the certificate.  If at a registry office, it's likely you can get a certificate the same day.

Are you sure you want to spend the extra for the in person appointment?  By post the application takes 6-8 weeks.  Just food for thought to save a bit of cash.  :)

That's great, thanks for the further info!

We're going to go ahead with the priority service (my fiancee wants to work asap) so are in the process of getting our documents together and booking the appointment.

We will post a full list of documents that were going to include, but I just wanted to ask a  quick question first:

Is it okay that the letter comes from the managing agent of the property we are living at? They will write, on company headed paper, that my fiancee is a full time tenant of the property and lives with me.

Is there anything else that we should ask them to include?  I assume this does not need to be signed in ink, unlike some of the other documents we will need to provide?

Many thanks!

• Liked: 17
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 03:18:27 PM »
@JimmynD hi there! Congrats on getting your fiancé there and your upcoming wedding! How long did you wait for the visa to come? My fiancé is a British citizen and I’m a US Citizen. We’re about to hit 30 BD this Friday since Sheffield has received our application on Priority. It’s just my patience and nerves getting to me..
Met: June 2016
Starting dating: End of October 2016
Engaged: 11 October 2017
Married: 13 April 2018 (Yes, Friday the 13th! haha)
Application Type: Settlement/Spouse Priority
Online application submitted: 09 July 2018
Biometrics appointment & Docs sent: 17 July 2018
Package arrived in Sheffield: 19 July 2018
Email stating my application was being prepared by ECO: 19 July 2018
Decision made email: 3 September 2018
Documents returned: 5 September 2018
Approved!! (31 BDs)

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 05:05:52 PM »
Hello again:

We are on the home stretch and are making an appointment at a Premium service centre online through gov.uk. The website, unfortunately, is incredibly glitchy and nearly impossible to use. We are open to either Croydon or Sheffield (Croydon is our preference) but each, when clicked, switch on and off between having absolutely no appointments available within the next 45 days and having almost all 45 days available for booking. When they show available bookings, the links are unclickable or simply not listed. Has anyone found an effective way of dealing with this? I know the service centres are reluctant to accept phone calls.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab