Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What documents to bring when visiting your partner within the US?  (Read 715 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi All,

Having received valuable advice regarding what my partner should bring when travelling to the UK.

I thought it would be useful to know what typically people bring when visiting their partners in the US. Historically all i have brought is an itinerary and return ticket. I have been thinking for the sake of spending 5 mins preparing additional documentation, it could just be worth doing.

Many Thanks,

• Liked: 134
Re: What documents to bring when visiting your partner within the US?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 11:17:16 PM »
My husband generally travels with just a return ticket and travel insurance, never had a problem. Longest visit was nearly the whole three months. Other handy things to have would be similar to what your partner brings to the UK: proof of finances, evidence of ties to home and reasons to return, etc.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 63
Re: What documents to bring when visiting your partner within the US?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 09:30:46 AM »
This (IMHO) is an instance where use of the term 'partner' may not be sufficient and could lead to confusion. Bear in mind that term it isn't as commonly used in the US as it is here. Accordingly, if the reply to 'what is the purpose of your visit' that's typically asked at immigration is 'to visit my partner', there may be a blank stare or a further question about intention to work.

If you are married, a return ticket and knowledge of immigration controls in the US are usually sufficient. If an unmarried couple, a return ticket and some indication of available funds, plus just being truthful and stating 'a 2-week visit to see my friend/girlfriend/boyfriend/significant other (or whatever) is sufficient. Anything else that indicates intent to return home might help, but isn't generally required. Basic rule is just answer the questions in a straightforward manner, and as succinctly as possible. Don't offer more than is asked for.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab