Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Job application timing question  (Read 1275 times)

• Liked: 3589
Re: Job application timing question
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 01:01:13 PM »
Yeah, so I just read all the posts about the NIN---awesome that they make everything such a pain. So it's probably not even worth me applying since I can't get that until I have my visa.

Honestly, I would still apply if you are able to do so without needing to enter a NIN or your visa details.

You ARE allowed to work before you get your NIN (as long as you have the FLR(M))... the NIN doesn't give permission to work, it's simply used to calculate your tax and NI contributions. So, if you start work before you have it, it just means that you may not be taxed at the correct rate at first... then you can get the rate corrected once it is issued.

• Liked: 87
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 01:05:13 PM »
Ah, ok...I see
I just thought I had read in the NIN post that you should let your potential employer know that you've applied for one and when it should arrive which I can't do/won't know until I have my BRP in hand and am able to schedule an appointment and go to the interview.

Thanks for all the advice. Application deadline is tomorrow so I need to make a decision haah

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 01:07:30 PM »
Well that NIN post is aimed at people who already have a visa that allows work.

As you don’t have yours yet, instead you say you’ve applied for FLR(M) which should be processed by the end of January, and then you will apply for your NIN as soon as you get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 116
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 01:18:08 PM »
This was true when I got one in 2014 but double check...you're allowed to work a few weeks without a nino.  The time it took for mine to arrive in the post was a lot less than however many weeks I was allowed to work without one.

If they hired a UK applicant they would probably expect that person to give one month's notice to their old job.  So waiting for your visa wouldn't delay any more than another person's notice period.  I'd go for the job, personally, applying can't hurt and it can be hard to find job listings this time of year (well, at least in my line of work).
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 02:25:29 PM »
Ok great, thanks everyone. If I decide to apply, should I include all of that info in the cover letter (visa status/NIN info)?

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the advice. Also, It's directly online with Coventry University so it wouldn't be through a service if that makes a difference.

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 05:11:34 PM »
Welp!
I got all the way through the application, wrote a cover letter, etc...

Got to "legal right to work in the UK" and they want the expiration date of my FLR-M which I definitely cannot provide to them.

Ah well.

Thanks everyone for your help.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 06:05:06 PM »
Ok great, thanks everyone. If I decide to apply, should I include all of that info in the cover letter (visa status/NIN info)?

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the advice. Also, It's directly online with Coventry University so it wouldn't be through a service if that makes a difference.

Bummer. They use a program/service for applications and those programs always ask. The same can be said for other large organizations like Boots, Green King, and Molson Coors.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 11:06:43 AM »
I just called for my NIN this morning, and they said as long as you can show you've applied you can work up to 3 months without a number. That obviously doesn't help with online apps where you have to enter an end date on a visa, but it may for anyone else looking. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links