Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: 40th Birthday Holiday Ideas  (Read 2760 times)

• Liked: 4985
40th Birthday Holiday Ideas
« on: January 03, 2018, 10:04:22 AM »
My husband turns 40 in May.  We'd like to do a nice holiday but ideally for just one week.  May 20-27th ish. 

My husband is really into landscapes and beautiful sceanery.  We'd like something rather luxurious.  Kids are coming along and will be 4 and 1.  An ideal budget would be roughly £3k.

Current ideas:

Norweigien fjiord cruise.  This is our top choice as there is a cruise that departs/returns to Southampton.  However, it's over £4k for a week in an interior room!!!  As kids travel at full fare.  My husband is also nervous about not being hot.   ::)

Dubai.  Could go total luxury here for a very good price but it's during Ramadan, which I've heard will limit choices.

Japan.  Probably too far for a one week holiday, so best to stay in Europe.

Other ideas to explore:  Amalfi coast (seems to be difficult to find a place with a pool), Switzerland (lake cabin somewhere), Tuscany (my only issue is that I've been to Italy a LOT and would like somewhere new.  But this trip isn't about me.  lol!)

Suggestions wanted!!!  Fire away!

• Liked: 223
Re: 40th Birthday Holiday Ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 11:43:44 AM »
Switzerland is a great option, but pricey. If it doesn't fit the budget, the French, German, Austrian or Italian Alps are all just as stunning.

DH and I also love Germany's Black Forest.

I haven't been, but Lichtenstein might be fun. Swiss-esque, but hopefully not as expensive.

In Europe, the further east you go, the further your pound will take you (generally).

What about Prague or Ljubljana?

Thermal baths in Budapest sounds luxurious.

Or get some sun and go to Split or Dubrovnik, Croatia?

Island hopping in Greece sounds great, too.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 12:05:44 PM »
Switzerland is a great option, but pricey. If it doesn't fit the budget, the French, German, Austrian or Italian Alps are all just as stunning.

DH and I also love Germany's Black Forest.

I haven't been, but Lichtenstein might be fun. Swiss-esque, but hopefully not as expensive.

In Europe, the further east you go, the further your pound will take you (generally).

What about Prague or Ljubljana?

Thermal baths in Budapest sounds luxurious.

Or get some sun and go to Split or Dubrovnik, Croatia?

Island hopping in Greece sounds great, too.

Some great suggestions I will have a look at.  I found a GORGEOUS place in Switzerland since posting for £300 a night and looks amazing.  But the pool is technically on the owner's property and it's not exclusive use (you have to book to use it).  Which isn't ideal.  But I'm sure there are other places!  :)

I'm DYING to go to Croatia (particularly Split).  Black Forest is another great idea I need to look at!  Thanks!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 12:19:00 PM »
I don't have any great ideas for you but I hope you have an awesome time wherever you end up!  ;D

• Liked: 163
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 12:24:37 PM »
I'm DYING to go to Croatia (particularly Split). 

All down that coast is beautiful. We flew into Split and stayed with friends in Makarska, but there are tons of nice places along there between Split and Dubrovnik.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 12:25:17 PM »
How about Portugal? My 40th is this November, and I've decided I'm going to Paris to see a play at the Comédie Française, then depending on how much money I can save, I may go to Portugal. Apparently for Portugal now is the time because it's on the cusp of becoming a popular tourist destination and once the stag parties get hold of a place it gets more expensive and less fun.

On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 12:53:55 PM »
How about Portugal? My 40th is this November, and I've decided I'm going to Paris to see a play at the Comédie Française, then depending on how much money I can save, I may go to Portugal. Apparently for Portugal now is the time because it's on the cusp of becoming a popular tourist destination and once the stag parties get hold of a place it gets more expensive and less fun.

We are fortunate enough to have done a fair bit of travelling (me a bit more than my husband).  We've been to Portugal several times.  I agree that it's a fantastic place, and the Euro goes much further there than anywhere else in Europe that I've been!  Shame the stag parties are creeping in.

We haven't done Eastern Europe at all.  Still not been to Czech Republic, Hungary, Croatia, etc.  I know Croatia has some beautiful national parks that would fit my husband's "landscape" desire.  I'm not too sure about the others. 

Ideally we would like to rent a house with a pool somewhere with a view, with a few day trips available at a reasonable driving distance. 

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 02:08:32 PM »
How about Georgia? It's in the Caucuses, which are stunningly beautiful, it's very cheap, the food is amazing, the people are very nice, and you can stay for up to a year with no visa. I have a friend who recently went there, and he was able to rent a huge, gorgeous house very cheaply. Can't remember if there was a swimming pool. I haven't been to much of Eastern Europe (just Prague, really) but I lived for a while in Azerbaijan and I really can't recommend the Caucuses region too highly. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 02:13:24 PM »
How about Georgia? It's in the Caucuses, which are stunningly beautiful, it's very cheap, the food is amazing, the people are very nice, and you can stay for up to a year with no visa. I have a friend who recently went there, and he was able to rent a huge, gorgeous house very cheaply. Can't remember if there was a swimming pool. I haven't been to much of Eastern Europe (just Prague, really) but I lived for a while in Azerbaijan and I really can't recommend the Caucuses region too highly. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

I'll check it out - definitely something we haven't considered.  :)

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 06:55:16 PM »
So an update to this...

I've been looking at all sorts of things.  Everything I bring up, the husband shoots down.  Basically he wants a trip that's one hour of travel, no jetlag, luxury, sitting on the sun hot, beautiful landscapes, and reasonable cost.   ::)  I told him a couple of weeks ago that he's on his own.  LOL.   ;D

Anyway, I know that if I don't take the reins he'll never do anything.  And it's his 40th so we need to do something.

Last night at our American meetup, a pal was talking about how they did a surprise holiday last year and are going to do it again this year.  They didn't find out where they were going until they got to the airport.  I am IN LOVE with this idea.  They do holidays with kids too.  I'm going to call to inquire about it a bit more.  Last night my husband was intrigued, today he's poking holes in this as well.  <sigh>  Sometimes he kills me.

Have I mentioned that he only took half our kids to nursery on Wednesday?!?   ;D

• Liked: 134
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 11:00:47 PM »
Haven't done too many luxury holidays somewhere warm (do you need a baby-sitter?!) but we did go to Prague and drove through the countryside to Budapest.  It was lovely!  I would go back to Prague in a heartbeat.  We went in November, though, so can't speak to how warm it gets.  I would love to go island hopping in Greece and the Scandinavian cruise sounds amazing!
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 56
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 12:03:45 AM »
We've been eyeing the Azores for our vacation in September with a free stopover in Portugal (never been) if we take TAP. You can get direct flights on Ryanair for about 4 hours. Its not luxury but you can do that when you get there. Lots of things to do, scenery, some beaches, ability to book places with pools but still far enough off the beaten path that there won't be a ton of people there (you hope).

Some of those restrictions... so he essentially wants to go to Spain?  ;D

I did a surprise trip one year for Other Half - scored an amazing cheap deal from Chicago to London on United (was an error fare) for something stupid like $200 each return, so surprised him with a long weekend. He had a great time! Just told him to pack jeans and a sweater and his passport "in case".

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 11:56:38 AM »
Here's a travel agent that we have used several times with success.
http://www.crusadertravel.com/

They give old fashion service but the prices are reasonable still.  They also rent out villas. 

They sent us (twice) to El Gouna in Egypt, which is this giant resort area built with world Bank money. It's a town, marina and a bunch of luxury hotels that are all closed off and well guarded.  You can walk around the town without hassle.  It's an hour from Hurghada which is an easy flight.  We stayed at the Movenpick which had a spectacular breakfast. 

Another option would be driving to Oban and take the ferry to Barra.  The scenery is probably like your Norwegian Cruise but waaay cheaper.

• Liked: 9
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 09:58:18 PM »
I don't know if I'm too late on this one... but we went to Madeira for a 4 day weekend this year and the scenery/hiking was absolutely stunning. Could have easily spent more time there. No beaches though if that's important.

The surprise holiday thing you mentioned sounds really cool. Are they more expensive than booking a normal holiday?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:00:41 PM by omglolmax »

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 10:20:38 AM »
We've done it!  We booked a very nice villa in Croatia in the mountains above Split.  Day trip distance to a couple of national parks, sea view, etc.  It might not be HOT but we booked a place with a heated pool.  We are very excited.  It's somewhere neither of us have been before.  Three year old is excited but she wants to go somewhere for her birthday now.   ::)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab