Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hey you Londoners!  (Read 3532 times)

• Liked: 537
Hey you Londoners!
« on: January 03, 2018, 10:20:29 PM »
I'm heading to London to see Hamilton with my friend next week. We've got Monday-Friday to spend. Any suggestions on where to go or what to see? I've been a few times but I've only ever been there a few days each time.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 16
Re: Hey you Londoners!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 10:38:29 PM »
jealous! I have tickets to see hamilton the first week of feb and am beyond myself with excitement. i hope you have THE BEST time.

what're you interested in? there are some quite good other plays on. i strongly recommend downloading the app 'todaytix' and getting tickets that way - literally every time i've gotten those tickets my seats have been upgraded because they just fit you in where there is space.
the russian exhibit at the tate modern is really cool. the museum of london is seriously under-rated and well worth a visit. there's a place in camden where you can get actual american bagels (http://brooklynbake.co.uk/) ben franklin's house is kinda interested though a little under-loved; maybe worth it on a hamilton theme (assuming you've listened to the new decemberists release!)

Sept '11: premium service same-day tier 4 visa granted in NYC
July '13: tier 4 visa - applied from boston
October '14: FLRM - applied priority in sheffield office
March '17: FLRM 2 - applied priority in sheffield office
Sept 2019: IRL, priority at Croydon, granted same day
October 2019: submitted naturalisation application
January 2020: citizenship approved!
March 2020: last citizenship ceremony before covid :-O

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 11:07:36 PM »
jealous! I have tickets to see hamilton the first week of feb and am beyond myself with excitement. i hope you have THE BEST time.

what're you interested in? there are some quite good other plays on. i strongly recommend downloading the app 'todaytix' and getting tickets that way - literally every time i've gotten those tickets my seats have been upgraded because they just fit you in where there is space.
the russian exhibit at the tate modern is really cool. the museum of london is seriously under-rated and well worth a visit. there's a place in camden where you can get actual american bagels (http://brooklynbake.co.uk/) ben franklin's house is kinda interested though a little under-loved; maybe worth it on a hamilton theme (assuming you've listened to the new decemberists release!)
I will admit something... I haven't even listened to the music of Hamilton. 🙃

My friend is head over heels with it and she wants to see it as often as she can. So she's flying in this weekend. I'm excited because I love a good show and it'll be great to see her. 😁

I tried to get her to tell me what she's interested in doing, seeing another show and maybe the Harry potter experience are the only two things I know she's interested in.

That and going to Shake Shack. Haha. I'm happy just doing ehatever. It'll be a more relaxing trip with all the time we're there.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 11:21:58 PM »
On the cultural tip I enjoyed seeing the exhibits at Kensington Palace last year, and the museum of natural sciences. There's tons of food in that area too. Camden Market might be interesting, and possibly something like St Paul's cathedral in Central London? I live in South London and have still barely seen the city.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

• Liked: 585
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 07:33:01 AM »
I will admit something... I haven't even listened to the music of Hamilton. 🙃

I will admit something... I don't know who or what this Hamilton is, that you're all referring to.   :-[

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 07:49:48 AM »
I will admit something... I don't know who or what this Hamilton is, that you're all referring to.   :-[

Massive Broadway musical about the life of Founding Father Alexander Hamilton, written by Lin-Manuel Miranda.

From Wikipedia:
Notably incorporating hip-hop, rhythm and blues, pop music, soul music, traditional-style show tunes and color-conscious casting of non-white actors as the Founding Fathers and other historical figures, the musical achieved both critical acclaim and box office success.

The musical made its Off-Broadway debut at The Public Theater in February 2015, where its engagement was sold out. The show transferred to Broadway in August 2015 at the Richard Rodgers Theatre. On Broadway, it received enthusiastic critical reception and unprecedented advance box office sales. In 2016, Hamilton received a record-setting 16 Tony nominations, winning 11, including Best Musical, and was also the recipient of the 2016 Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album and the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. The prior off-Broadway production of Hamilton won the 2015 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Musical as well as seven other Drama Desk Awards out of 14 total nominated categories.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 08:47:07 AM »

Girl, I just bought tickets for it when they released more a couple of weeks ago.  And I know as much as you!   ;D  Talk about being a sheep!

But I love stage and performances, so I'd like to see what all the fuss is about.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 09:40:23 AM »
Don't miss Borough Market when you're in London. There are so many tasty things to try!
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 20
Hey you Londoners!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 10:34:58 AM »
We enjoyed the Tower of London, especially when the Crown Jewels are there. Another trip I highly recommend is the boat trip down the Thames. It’s a good way to get from sight to sight. It will take you all the way to Greenwich (I enjoyed- cute town and GMT there) You can ride back and get to Buckingham Palace. Or you can just sit on the boat, relax and see a lot. The Mews at Buckingham palace is also an inexpensive interesting stop. You see some of the Queens horses, and all of the Royal carriages are housed there. A quick cheap interesting stop. I don’t recommend hop on hop off bus in London, you’ll mostly sit in traffic. Do the Thames instead

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 10:38:34 AM by barbjones56 »

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 10:40:50 AM »

*Grins* I only know about it through my friends. Haha. I know Lin Manuel Miranda from How I Met Your Mother and the fact that he was involved with Disney's Moana.

It's a cultural phenomena in the US, completely took it by storm. A hip hop musical that's almost entirely cast with people of colour. I think King George is the only white dude.

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 10:45:21 AM »
We enjoyed the Tower of London, especially when the Crown Jewels are there. Another trip I highly recommend is the boat trip down the Thames. It’s a good way to get from sight to sight. It will take you all the way to Greenwich (I enjoyed- cute town and GMT there) You can ride back and get to Buckingham Palace. Or you can just sit on the boat, relax and see a lot. The Mews at Buckingham palace is also an inexpensive interesting stop. You see some of the Queens horses, and all of the Royal carriages are housed there. A quick cheap interesting stop. I don’t recommend hop on hop off bus in London, you’ll mostly sit in traffic. Do the Thames instead

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll have to see if she wants to go to the Tower of London or not. It was cool to see the Crown Jewels... But not £25 pounds cool... If the poppies were still there I'd be all over it.

Might look in to the river trip. I know you can hop on down by the Tower.

We wouldn't do the bus, the Tube all the way!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 11:08:57 AM »
I didn't have a chance to see the crown jewels when I went to Tower of London because the queue was insane but I can say the tour was reallllllly good! Went with my best friend when she came to visit from the US and we had a blast and the tour guide was hilarious. Such a big personality! :)

What I find with all the tours I've been on in the UK as opposed to tours in the US is that everybody is SO informative and friendly and genuinely interested in giving the tour. In the US you have some that enjoy giving their tours but a lot seem to just be college students just making a bit of cash. Everybody I've come across here that are giving tours all seem to have a certain energy and it makes it so much more enjoyable :)

There are so many wonderful places to go in London - but it depends on what kinds of things you want to do/see. Are you looking to go around museums/do tours or do you want to do "experience" type things?

If you are looking for good BBQ food, hands down go to Bodeans! It's lushhhh.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 11:48:41 AM »
I'd suggest the Sky Garden.  It's free and relaxing but you should reserve a time slot now. 

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 11:55:50 AM »
If you are going to do the Tower of London, might be worth it to buy a year membership to the Royal Palaces.  It's a little more than a single entry but includes entrance to Hampton Court and Kensington palace.  Plus, you can space out your visit over several days to make it less tiring.  You can wait another day and pop in to see the jewels one hour before closing time with no queue. 

You can also go see the ceremony of the keys at night which I've always wanted to do.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 12:49:11 PM »
We wouldn't do the bus, the Tube all the way!

I wouldn't suggest the hop-on-hop-off buses, but the regular TfL buses give you views, fresh air and a sense of where you are in London that the Tube doesn't offer.

At the very least, I'd suggest taking one of the old Routemaster heritage buses. Route 15 is the only one left with them and a few of the buses on the line run the 15H route between Trafalgar Square and the Tower of London. Most of the buses on the route are new and go further than the Tower, but wait for an old Routemaster.  ;)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

Sponsored Links