Author Topic: USC filing tax first time in UK  (Read 358 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline durhamlad

  • *
  • Posts: 908
  • Joined: Nov 2012
  • Location: Eee, bah gum.
  • Gender: Male
  • Liked: 60
Re: USC filing tax first time in UK
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 09:01:37 PM »
Do I put my UK address or my US address (parents house).


I put my UK address and phone number on my 1st IRS tax return after returning, and I will continue to do so. My first return was for 2016 where I spent 6 months in the USA and the other 6 months in England.
Adventure before dementia

Offline margo

  • *
  • Posts: 730
  • Joined: Apr 2016
  • Location: NY - USA
  • Gender: Female
  • Liked: 185
Re: USC filing tax first time in UK
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 06:27:01 PM »
Now I'm beginning to question what I've been doing these last years...

I'm USC, married to a UKC.  He works full time in the UK, and other than marrying me in 2013, has no ties to the US (he's never even been to the US!).  I have been retired for some years, and my income is from a modest pension in the US.  Before the marriage, I filed as "single" every year.  Now I file as "married filing separately".  For my spouse's information, I provide his name and for SSN/ITIN, I put NRA (for "non-resident alien").  We don't have any joint accounts, because it's much simpler to just keep our assets separate.  He owns the house (and the mortgage... sucker!), and I just live in it.  I started filing FBAR last year based only on my personal accounts when they reached $10,000 combined.  I'm fine/up to date, right?
My understanding when I filed my taxes (in the US) last year after marrying was that I had to file as married filing separately exactly as you specified. It would have been good if I'd gotten my husband an ITIN because I lost some deductions, but now that I'm living overseas I don't think they apply anyways. I was resident and insured in the US for 354 days of 2017 so I believe I file taxes as usual this year (married filing separately) and then deal with the foreign tax stuff next year.

I've already told my friend's wife if she can specialise in taxes for expats, with knowledge of the requirements on both sides of the pond, she'll have plenty of clients!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 06:39:38 PM by margo »
Met: 2013
Married: 2016
Biometrics: 7/25/17
Mailed: 7/29/17
Confirmation Email: 8/2/17
Decision Email: