Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Power tools Dewalt  (Read 748 times)

• Liked: 6
Power tools Dewalt
« on: January 04, 2018, 03:38:55 PM »
We have a number of Dewalt power tools that we’d like to keep. They are 110v.
We’ve looked at the Screwfix UK site and see that they sell Dewalt power tools, and they are all 115v. Yet the mains power is 220v in the UK.

Replacing these tools in the UK is very expensive.

Does anyone know anything about this? Can we rewire our garage in 115v? Is that unusual? I know it’s not unusual to have a 220v laundry room or workshop in the States even though the mains are 110v.

We are torn... we love our yellow tools!
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:
"I will try again tomorrow"

• Liked: 1891
Power tools Dewalt
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 04:11:52 PM »
I'd imagine JF kimberley is going to know a lot more than me about this, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. 

I talked to our builder about this recently because I noticed he had a couple of big plug in boxes with him.  He told me that it's common on big well regulated sites to have a rule that all power tools must be 110 for safety.  He said all his tools are 110 for that reason and he carries big transformers around to plug into 220 houses.

Putting in permanent wiring at 110 sounds funny and would likely lower the value of your house a lot  and possibly make it difficult to insure and sell.  Having a couple of transformers around might be a better option.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:15:05 PM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 1891
Re: Power tools Dewalt
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 04:19:07 PM »

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 05:11:20 PM »
We have a number of Dewalt power tools that we’d like to keep. They are 110v.
We’ve looked at the Screwfix UK site and see that they sell Dewalt power tools, and they are all 115v. Yet the mains power is 220v in the UK.

Replacing these tools in the UK is very expensive.

Does anyone know anything about this? Can we rewire our garage in 115v? Is that unusual? I know it’s not unusual to have a 220v laundry room or workshop in the States even though the mains are 110v.

We are torn... we love our yellow tools!

It's my understanding that on building sites, the UK government only allow 110v tools (health and safety!), which explains the prevalence of them in the shops.  An easy solution for home use is to just get a transformer and run your tools off of it.  You will also either need to use plug adapters, or you can change out the plugs on your tools for a more permanent solution.

Before you do this, though, have a look at the tools' power information to see what frequency they are meant to run on.  Typically, US appliances are made for 60Hz circuits but UK circuits are typically 50Hz.  Running a US electric motor on a UK circuit would likely render it underpowered... it will run about 20% slower and any cooling fans will also be 20% lower-powered so your tools would be more likely to overheat.  You would be disappointed by its performance compared to "back home".  (See: http://www.50hz60hz.com/60hz-motor-running-on-50hz-power-supply.html)

Having spent the past year or so slowly building out our own workshop, I understand your reluctance to replace your tools at UK prices.  Find out what frequency your tools are rated for.  If you can run them on 50Hz, then get a transformer and go to town.  If they're rated for 60Hz, you can try it, but...  :-\\\\

9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 05:41:47 AM »
You guys are amazing. Thank you so much for the replies.
I have hubby on the case as we speak.
Cheers!
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:
"I will try again tomorrow"

Sponsored Links