Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do you feel you don't visit home enough?  (Read 1831 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: Do you feel you don't visit home enough?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 01:25:27 PM »
You might also want to reach out to people on www.reddit.com/r/expat and www.reddit.com/r/expats if you create a survey (just make sure you specify that you're specifically looking for Americans in the UK if that is specifically who you're aiming it at as there are alllll types of expats on there). People post their surveys on there all the time and it can be helpful.

Thanks! Thats a huge tip! I'm hopeless at Reddit and was looking for a good sub to post in thank you!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 01:44:28 PM »
Done!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 02:30:26 PM »
I've heard about something similar to what you're doing. I can't remember where though. I think it was an article somewhere. Have you guys done an interview awhile back or have you talked about this previously on UKY?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 02:54:34 PM »
I've heard about something similar to what you're doing. I can't remember where though. I think it was an article somewhere. Have you guys done an interview awhile back or have you talked about this previously on UKY?

There is a startup in the US doing the same thing. I was in love with the concept as soon as I read about it, but when I tried to use them I found a lot of things that I would do differently. One big one is that they're very focussed on the American market, particularly in their repayment terms (every 2 weeks) and the fact they only accept USD.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 04:42:30 PM »
Hahaha it's no problem. I'm putting together a SurveyMonkey now, but I'd be more up for a phone call on gChat or Facebook Messenger if you're still up for it

I’ve done your survey. Your little end but was great, having two important weddings to attend one June and September back home is definitely becoming a bit of a burden for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 149
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 10:15:51 PM »
Did the survey.....but it really doesn't fit my situation. I can afford to go back......I just don't want to.....it's just too long of a trip to Washington state. Now....if you can get the Star Trek transporter invented....I'm in.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:21:54 PM by F4mandolin »
Fred

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 10:55:18 AM »
Filled out the survey and provided email. I do like that you've explained a bit more about the situation on the last page but would suggest maybe giving other options to gauge how interested a person is? I am interested enough to talk to you further if required and would entertain the idea, but I'm not sure I'm a definitely "absolutely, yes!" as I'm not entirely sure it would fix my problem.

Happy to talk further though, if required (as mentioned) :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 9
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 10:42:35 PM »
I see on the opening page you would still prefer phone calls. You can call me if you want - I don't really feel like typing out answers to free-text questions :P

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 03:07:18 PM »
Filled out the survey and provided email. I do like that you've explained a bit more about the situation on the last page but would suggest maybe giving other options to gauge how interested a person is? I am interested enough to talk to you further if required and would entertain the idea, but I'm not sure I'm a definitely "absolutely, yes!" as I'm not entirely sure it would fix my problem.

Happy to talk further though, if required (as mentioned) :)

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for helping! It was a cheeky follow-on question that I'm not basing anything meaningful on.

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 03:10:27 PM »
I see on the opening page you would still prefer phone calls. You can call me if you want - I don't really feel like typing out answers to free-text questions :P

Just sent you a private message!

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 03:46:45 PM »
Thanks for the feedback and thanks for helping! It was a cheeky follow-on question that I'm not basing anything meaningful on.

haha not to worry, just thought I would mention it just in case :)  Like I said, I don't mind doing a follow up as it's totally hard to get everything you're thinking out.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 16
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 10:37:55 PM »
hey trevour - i'm filling out your survey right now, but i don't think it's a great survey. i work in survey design, data analysis, and data insights...so um if you want help with survey design send over a DM.

but the biggest thing is you don't collect any demographic info - answers are pretty different for me, say - a 20-something from boston, working a decently paying job in london, than someone middle aged from oregon living in yorkshire. you outta be collecting that sort of information to make sense out of responses.
Sept '11: premium service same-day tier 4 visa granted in NYC
July '13: tier 4 visa - applied from boston
October '14: FLRM - applied priority in sheffield office
March '17: FLRM 2 - applied priority in sheffield office
Sept 2019: IRL, priority at Croydon, granted same day
October 2019: submitted naturalisation application
January 2020: citizenship approved!
March 2020: last citizenship ceremony before covid :-O

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 11:27:34 PM »
hey trevour - i'm filling out your survey right now, but i don't think it's a great survey. i work in survey design, data analysis, and data insights...so um if you want help with survey design send over a DM.

but the biggest thing is you don't collect any demographic info - answers are pretty different for me, say - a 20-something from boston, working a decently paying job in london, than someone middle aged from oregon living in yorkshire. you outta be collecting that sort of information to make sense out of responses.

Thanks for that. I appreciate the feedback and you taking the time to complete it.

My background is in educational research as well as marketing so I know the design isn’t great, but it also was never intended to be a survey. At the stage I’m at my main focus is finding a market to launch with, so trying to identify what groups might be early adopters. My hypothesis is expats and international students might be. I know most everyone here is or will be an expat but I had no intention of collecting the number of responses through the survey to reach any real statistical significance.

The conversations I’ve had over the phone have given me a bit more clarity of what demographics the earliest users might fall into but it’s more about making sure my hypothesis is right. That sort of honing in will come at a later date.

I’m mainly only looking at how people answer two of the questions ;)

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 09:32:00 AM »
Thanks for that. I appreciate the feedback and you taking the time to complete it.

My background is in educational research as well as marketing so I know the design isn’t great, but it also was never intended to be a survey. At the stage I’m at my main focus is finding a market to launch with, so trying to identify what groups might be early adopters. My hypothesis is expats and international students might be. I know most everyone here is or will be an expat but I had no intention of collecting the number of responses through the survey to reach any real statistical significance.

The conversations I’ve had over the phone have given me a bit more clarity of what demographics the earliest users might fall into but it’s more about making sure my hypothesis is right. That sort of honing in will come at a later date.

I’m mainly only looking at how people answer two of the questions ;)

Did you manage to post on Reddit, by the way?? If not and you wanted it there (and you didn't mind), I could share - if it helps?
My, how time flies....

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 09:45:57 AM »
Did you manage to post on Reddit, by the way?? If not and you wanted it there (and you didn't mind), I could share - if it helps?

Gonna explore Reddit today since I’m off work. Since it’s a geographically diverse group I’m gonna try and find the best way for people to contact me. Maybe FB messenger? Any ideas?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:47:10 AM by trevourblac »

Sponsored Links