Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What to do if UPS loses application/supporting docs?  (Read 811 times)

• Liked: 7
What to do if UPS loses application/supporting docs?
« on: January 05, 2018, 09:40:44 AM »
My package is not "lost" yet, but I'm worried it might be!

I recently applied for a settlement visa (spousal) and shipped my application with supporting documents to Sheffield via UPS (I paid for the VFS return courier service and priority visa handling).

I handed over the package to UPS on the 2nd, and this is the tracking info I have thus far:

Philadelphia,  PA,  United States   01/03/2018   8:55 A.M.   Departure Scan
01/03/2018   7:31 A.M.   Arrival Scan
Louisville,  KY,  United States   01/03/2018   4:55 A.M.   Departure Scan
01/03/2018   1:09 A.M.   Arrival Scan
Jacksonville,  FL,  United States   01/02/2018   11:32 P.M.   Departure Scan
Brunswick,  GA,  United States   01/02/2018   7:55 P.M.   Departure Scan
01/02/2018   6:11 P.M.   Pickup Scan
United States   12/29/2017   3:26 P.M. (ET)   Order Processed: Ready for UPS

The UPS tracking page also says it is on time to be delivered Jan 4th... which is funny because it is currently Jan 5th! I've called UPS but they won't start an investigation until the 6th.

Has anyone else had a delay like this with UPS? What happens to my application if my documents are lost forever? Will I have to pay the fees and submit a new one?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 10:17:17 AM by wandering_nomad »

• Liked: 3595
Re: What to do if UPS loses application/supporting docs?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 09:52:22 AM »
I haven't heard of UPS losing documents - I don't think it happens often at all.

There's probably just been a slight delay with the delivery to Sheffield (since it's the holiday season, that could be the case). Either that, or it has already been delivered but the tracking hasn't updated yet.

Question though: how did you hand over the package to them on the 3rd January, when the tracking shows that it was shipped on the evening of the 2nd and had moved through 4 states by the morning of the 3rd? Do you definitely have the correct tracking number?

I sincerely doubt your package will have been lost forever. I've been on the forum 11 years, and I've never heard of that happening before, especially not with UPS. It's probably just going to be a case of either waiting for it to be delivered, or getting UPS to track it down for you.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 10:16:50 AM »
I haven't heard of UPS losing documents - I don't think it happens often at all.

There's probably just been a slight delay with the delivery to Sheffield (since it's the holiday season, that could be the case). Either that, or it has already been delivered but the tracking hasn't updated yet.

Question though: how did you hand over the package to them on the 3rd January, when the tracking shows that it was shipped on the evening of the 2nd and had moved through 4 states by the morning of the 3rd? Do you definitely have the correct tracking number?

I sincerely doubt your package will have been lost forever. I've been on the forum 11 years, and I've never heard of that happening before, especially not with UPS. It's probably just going to be a case of either waiting for it to be delivered, or getting UPS to track it down for you.

Whoops! I accidentally wrote the wrong date-- I handed the package over early evening on the 2nd. (I'll see if I can edit that).

I'm happy to hear this hasn't happened to many others but would be interested in hearing if others found the VFS shipping (UPS Worldwide Saver) method to be mostly accurate in its timing...

I've called UPS a few times and they said although it cleared customs electronically (so perhaps a pre-customs?) in PA, it has not yet made it to East Midlands (guessing that's a regional hub for them in UK). 

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 10:25:12 AM »
I'm happy to hear this hasn't happened to many others but would be interested in hearing if others found the VFS shipping (UPS Worldwide Saver) method to be mostly accurate in its timing...

To be honest, I don't think anyone has mentioned it before.

It should all be pretty much the same timing accuracy no matter whether you use UPS/DHL or the VFS Global UPS labels... unless maybe if you pay for a slower service than the 2-day one offered by VFS Global.

I've called UPS a few times and they said although it cleared customs electronically (so perhaps a pre-customs?) in PA, it has not yet made it to East Midlands (guessing that's a regional hub for them in UK).

That sounds promising - I imagine your documents are on their way to the East Mids hub and will hopefully arrive in Sheffield today.

It doesn't sound like anything has been lost at all, it just sounds like the documents are taking a day or so longer to arrive than originally expected - possibly due to bad weather? (given the cold weather in the US, and the storms in the UK right now)

• Liked: 79
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 11:02:15 AM »
Something I noticed with sending stuff overnight or 2 day shipping international.. sometimes the shipping information can't keep up with the package .. my husband had sent stuff one day dilivery from the uk to Philadelphia and I would get the package but the shipping information will still say it's in route ...
US girl met UK guy
Met Husband at England Rugby World Cup Oct 2015
Got engaged in Germany in July 2017
Got married in Philadelphia Oct 2017
Applying for Spouse visa for the UK
Application paid December 17th 2017
Bometrics booked for Dec 22nd 2017
Package sent off to Sheffield Dec 23rd 2017(priority)
Package recieved In Sheffield Dec 27th 😬🤞🏻
Decision email sent Jan 17th 2018 😬😳🤞🏻🙏🙌🏼
VISA APPROVED Jan 22nd
Cambridge here I come !!!
Applied FLR(M)  Sept 9th 2020
App invite.       Sept 23rd 2020
Submit FLR(M)Oct 5th.   2020

• Liked: 957
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 06:14:48 PM »
I remember my tracking being a bit slow, but not a full day behind. With the storms shutting down philadelphia yesterday it could just be due to the weather like ksand said. I would ask for a refund though once it reaches Sheffield ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 97
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 06:17:14 PM »
It’s very possible with the storm it was loaded on the plan to depart(cause if I remember correctly mine flew to Manchester From Philadelphia) and didn’t get out. Call ups they were so lovely to me when I had questions so they should be able to tell you if the delivery as been updated.
Met Dublin Ireland- July 2013
Long distance from November 2014-2016
Married 😍 in NYC :6th of January 2017
Spouse Visa Approved!! : 27th of February 2017
Moved to UK: 28th of April 2017

Applied FLR(M)-  12th January 2020
Biometrics- 20th of January 2020

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 08:48:36 PM »
Thanks for the input, everyone. It's nice to hear everyone is optimistic because in my mind it's doomsday haha.

I am concerned though because on the tracking page it doesn't say delayed, it says "in-transit, on time to be delivered Jan 4th". So no new information in over 48 hours... I feel like when I've had delayed packages in the past the tracking info always states there is a delay.

I've called UPS customer service and have been told I need the shipper to escalate to investigation (guessing that's VFS?) and will need the receiver's phone number, which I guess would be a lost cause with Sheffield? Feeling like this could end up being a nightmare...One customer service rep said they could launch the investigation tonight, but another said I would need to wait an additional 72 hours.

Fingers crossed it just missed a scan or two and is safely on its way!!

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 08:58:55 PM »
Honestly, I think it's too soon to be worrying about it, especially with the holidays and bad weather (it appears there have been no UPS services in parts of Virginia today due to winter weather, and UPS Freight Services have been affected in several East Coast cities today as well).

It may just be that they haven't updated the tracking yet and either it was originally due to arrive on the 4th, but that has changed, or it could be that it has already been delivered but they haven't updated the tracking to show it.

I'd give it until Monday or Tuesday and if you haven't heard by then, maybe contact UPS again.

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 01:50:31 AM »
I don't know, I think it's time to start worrying... I called UPS again because the online tracking changed from "on-time" to  "Scheduled delivery information is not available at this time. Please check back later."

They've launched an investigation because they said they are unable to locate the package or identify any delays in its shipment batch.  The woman on the phone said the envelope may have slipped under the conveyor belt or something... If it's not found in 8 business days they will consider it "lost".

I know I should stay calm until Monday, but this feels like a nightmare! My two week deadline to submit my documents is the 12th.... No idea how I'll get everything redone by then.
Is there a way to contact VFS or Sheffield and ask what to do?

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 03:54:59 AM »
I am so sorry you’re going through this. Hopefully it will re-appear on the radar within the next day or two... and I’m sure the package was too big to slip under the belt. 

I wouldn’t worry about the deadline, we always encourage people to try to meet it (it is 5 days though, not two weeks) but we’ve never seen a late arrival of the package cause a refusal and some over the summer were several weeks late.

What I would be doing right now if I were you, is giving some thought as to how to get replacements for everything, just in case.

Fingers crossed for you.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 05:16:18 AM »
I know I should stay calm until Monday, but this feels like a nightmare! My two week deadline to submit my documents is the 12th.... No idea how I'll get everything redone by then.
Is there a way to contact VFS or Sheffield and ask what to do?

There is no 2-week deadline anymore... that ended in September 2015.

Now you just have to get the documents in the mail within 5 days of biometrics... which you’ve done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 05:54:38 AM »
Thanks everyone for calming my nerves (now I can just freak out about the documents being all wrong etc)

UPS finally found the package after I requested an investigation (apparently you can  do this if it has been more than 24 hours since the expected delivery date). Turns out they had sent it back to their hub in Kansas! 

It's now arrived in Sheffield so fingers crossed we get some good news in the near future  :)

• Liked: 66
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 08:22:27 AM »
Thanks everyone for calming my nerves (now I can just freak out about the documents being all wrong etc)

UPS finally found the package after I requested an investigation (apparently you can  do this if it has been more than 24 hours since the expected delivery date). Turns out they had sent it back to their hub in Kansas! 

It's now arrived in Sheffield so fingers crossed we get some good news in the near future  :)

Super relieved for you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spouse Visa (Priority)

App Submitted Online: 18 Oct 2017
Biometrics + Docs Sent: 23 Oct 2017
Received in Sheffield email: 25 Oct 2017
Decision email: 20 Nov 2017 (18 BD)
Passport received: 22 Nov 2017 (APPROVED)
Travel to UK: 28 Dec 2017

FLR(m):
App Submitted Online: 08 July 2020
Biometrics submitted via IDV app: 7 Sept 2020
Approval: 19 Nov 2020

ILR (Priority):
App submitted: 19 Jan 2023
Biometrics: 8 Feb 2023
Approval: 8 Feb 2023

Citizenship:
App submitted: 28 July 2023
Biometrics: 17 Aug 2023
Approval: 27 Nov 2023
Ceremony: 27 Nov 2023

• Liked: 957
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 12:40:03 PM »

Thank goodness it was found quickly! *fingers crossed* you get an approval soon :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab