Author Topic: Renewing US passport by post to US Embassy  (Read 139 times)

Offline Lauraborealis

• Liked: 0
Renewing US passport by post to US Embassy
« on: January 11, 2018, 08:53:14 AM »
I have dual nationality with UK and US passports and want to renew my US passport by post to the US Embassy in London. I have completed form DS-82 online and will send it via courier. My query concerns fee payment. When I asked the Embassy if I could use the form 'debit/credit card payment form for passport issuance fees' they replied that I must "obtain either an International Money Order or Banker’s Draft drawn in U.S. dollars on a bank with branches in the United States". Last time I renewed I got an International Money Order at the Post Office but they no longer provide this service and I can't find anyone who does, so I have purchased a Foreign Draft (for $110 made out to the US Disbursing Officer) through my NatWest bank. Will this be accepted as they don't have branches in the US?

Offline ksand24

• Liked: 1626
Renewing US passport by post to US Embassy
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 08:58:07 AM »
Several people have been having this problem - they literally just stopped allowing debit/credit card payments by post about 2 or 3 weeks ago and now everyone is struggling to find a way to pay.

Basically, you either need to find a way to get an international money order or US banker’s draft, or you will need to apply in person at a US Embassy so you can pay by card.

I have no idea if the foreign draft you have purchased will be accepted though... I assume not as they don’t have US branches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lauraborealis

• Liked: 0
Re: Renewing US passport by post to US Embassy
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:00:20 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I have contacted my brother, a US citizen and CA resident, who will send me an international money order or banker's draft from the States.