Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Renewing US passport by post to US Embassy  (Read 2033 times)

• Liked: 1
Renewing US passport by post to US Embassy
« on: January 11, 2018, 08:53:14 AM »
I have dual nationality with UK and US passports and want to renew my US passport by post to the US Embassy in London. I have completed form DS-82 online and will send it via courier. My query concerns fee payment. When I asked the Embassy if I could use the form 'debit/credit card payment form for passport issuance fees' they replied that I must "obtain either an International Money Order or Banker’s Draft drawn in U.S. dollars on a bank with branches in the United States". Last time I renewed I got an International Money Order at the Post Office but they no longer provide this service and I can't find anyone who does, so I have purchased a Foreign Draft (for $110 made out to the US Disbursing Officer) through my NatWest bank. Will this be accepted as they don't have branches in the US?

• Liked: 3595
Renewing US passport by post to US Embassy
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 08:58:07 AM »
Several people have been having this problem - they literally just stopped allowing debit/credit card payments by post about 2 or 3 weeks ago and now everyone is struggling to find a way to pay.

Basically, you either need to find a way to get an international money order or US banker’s draft, or you will need to apply in person at a US Embassy so you can pay by card.

I have no idea if the foreign draft you have purchased will be accepted though... I assume not as they don’t have US branches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Renewing US passport by post to US Embassy
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:00:20 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I have contacted my brother, a US citizen and CA resident, who will send me an international money order or banker's draft from the States.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 03:38:43 PM »
I am pleased to report that my renewed passport arrived today. The US Embassy accepted the 'cashier's check' my brother posted to me from his CA bank.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 04:31:31 PM »
I am pleased to report that my renewed passport arrived today. The US Embassy accepted the 'cashier's check' my brother posted to me from his CA bank.
That is good news! How crazy they make you jump through these hoops now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 718
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 07:21:04 PM »

Congratulations!!  Thanks for the update.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 27
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 09:52:04 PM »
For anyone that is interested, as I couldn't get a cashier's check, I went in person in Edinburgh today to pay by credit card. They have counter service from 9-11.30 & 1.30-2.30 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

I got there at 10.30 and was told it was too busy and to come back (might have been because of half term, maybe not).

I travelled up from Liverpool and was not leaving without applying, so got there at 12.55 to queue with at least five other people, all there to renew in person. It literally took two minutes. So: no problem if you live in England to go to Scotland (much cheaper and easier for me in the NW), pay by UK credit card. Added bonus: I love that the consulate is a Georgian terrace and totally walkable from station and not a fortress.

Hope that helps anyone that doesn't have the option of getting a cashier's check/money order, etc

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 09:59:44 PM »
For anyone that is interested, as I couldn't get a cashier's check, I went in person in Edinburgh today to pay by credit card. They have counter service from 9-11.30 & 1.30-2.30 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

I got there at 10.30 and was told it was too busy and to come back (might have been because of half term, maybe not).

I travelled up from Liverpool and was not leaving without applying, so got there at 12.55 to queue with at least five other people, all there to renew in person. It literally took two minutes. So: no problem if you live in England to go to Scotland (much cheaper and easier for me in the NW), pay by UK credit card. Added bonus: I love that the consulate is a Georgian terrace and totally walkable from station and not a fortress.

Hope that helps anyone that doesn't have the option of getting a cashier's check/money order, etc

Great news, this is what we plan to do in the summer. Presumably you printed out and completed the forms from the consulate website and had your photos with you.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 10:06:02 PM »
Yes.

-completed form (also signed and dated)
-most recent passport
-single photo
-self addressed Royal Mail Special delivery envelope (up to 500g)

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 10:52:04 PM »
Yes.

-completed form (also signed and dated)
-most recent passport
-single photo
-self addressed Royal Mail Special delivery envelope (up to 500g)

Perfect - thanks again

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 11:36:01 AM »
Just wanted to add a final update:

Applied/paid for fee in person Tuesday, 13 February in Edinburgh
New US passport received via recorded delivery Wednesday, 21 February

7 working days (5 if you don't count the day they processed/day it was delivered.)

Pretty speedy, I thought....and don't need to renew until 2028.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 04:14:02 PM »

Thanks for posting - just wanted to check, the 'cashier's check' you had your brother send to you was in his name rather than yours (presumably?), and the Embassy had no problem with that?  Thinking of doing the same as Barclays told me it would take 4-5 days to get an international money order and they would charge me £25...

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 09:56:32 AM »
Yes, you are correct. It was made out to 'United States Disbursing Officer' and had a note at the bottom saying it was for payment to renew my US passport. The bank charged my brother 8 dollars.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 10:59:38 PM »
Yes, you are correct. It was made out to 'United States Disbursing Officer' and had a note at the bottom saying it was for payment to renew my US passport. The bank charged my brother 8 dollars.

Great, thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links