Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Citizenship - any advice before embarking on application?  (Read 1274 times)

• Liked: 2
Citizenship - any advice before embarking on application?
« on: January 16, 2018, 10:05:30 PM »
Time to kicking the rust off and getting back on the forum  :D

I'm going to start the process of applying for citizenship. Any advice for those that have recently done the same?

-Is NCS worth it? Or should I faff about with the online application?
-Would you recommend applying for passport at the same time?
-Any quirky things in the application?

It certainly doesn't seem as stressful as getting ILR.

Thanks anyone & everyone.
Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.  A. Lincoln

09/09: Met in San Diego
09/09-04/11: 9 trips, 1000 hours of Skype, a billion IMs
04/11-08/11: Successfully lived under the same roof in the UK
08/11: Engaged
02/11/12: Wedding in San Diego
03/12/12: Submitted online application
03/16/12: Biometrics appointment, documents sent
3/28/12: Spousal visa issued!
4/24/12: Moved to UK
6/24/14: Passed Life in the UK test
7/3/14: Submitted SET (M) in person via Premium Service
7/7/14: BRP received via courrier! I'

• Liked: 4985
Re: Citizenship - any advice before embarking on application?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 10:13:03 PM »
NCS is worth it because you get to keep your passport and BRP while processing, meaning you are not stuck for up to six months while it's processed.

DEFINITELY apply for the passport at the same time.  It eliminates needing an interview and gets your passport to you quicker (mine arrived less than a week after my ceremony).

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 04:27:00 AM »
I’m just starting to research the citizenship application for my husband.

I noticed that although they don’t have a specific area to fill it in on form AN (that I caught on my first read through anyway), when you read the instructions, they ask you to declare parking tickets (and fixed penalty driving tickets) which is not required for flr(m) and set(m).

• Liked: 63
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 10:08:46 AM »
KFdancer is spot on.

I also used NCS; definitely worth the extra ££.

I applied for a passport the day after my ceremony, got an interview slot very quickly, and had the passport less than a week after. Don't put that off.

Can't comment on parking tickets or fixed penalty tickets, as (thankfully) I didn't have any, or any other stuff to declare.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 342
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 10:24:32 AM »

I noticed that although they don’t have a specific area to fill it in on form AN (that I caught on my first read through anyway), when you read the instructions, they ask you to declare parking tickets (and fixed penalty driving tickets) which is not required for flr(m) and set(m).

That's because 'being of Good Character', is part of the requirement for citizenship and citizenship can be refused if they are not.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/good-character-nationality-policy-guidance

Immigration laws end at ILR and end at PR for those using EU laws. For British citizenship, the nationality law is used.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:28:52 AM by Sirius »

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 01:26:06 PM »
Unless something happens in the next six months, I know I am good to go for Good Character.  But I do have some minor speeding fines in my way-way-back early driving history.  Over the span of about 15 years, there would be probably about four or five from really distinct jurisdictions (two different Cleveland townships, and two Arkansas counties).  The most recent one was well over ten years ago (I eventually discovered cruise control and it fixed my problem).

Do I need to find details of these to report them?  If I've missed any, and the government somehow finds out, will I lose my citizenship?  I don't have anything bad in my record, and nothing is recent... I am just worried that I'll overlook something...  I don't even really remember when the ones I do remember occurred.  I might be able to piece it together based on where I was at the time.  Blah.  This is going to take some research.  :/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:27:49 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 01:49:47 PM »
Do I need to find details of these to report them? 

It's just a case of being honest in every application you make. If they ask for them, then state them.

If you look at the present Good Character requirements, those long ago speeding tickets won't be a fail of Good Character. However not being honest in an application, is classed as deception. By answering honestly, you can't be accused of using deception.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:02:22 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »
It's just a case of being honest in every application you make. If they ask for them, then state them.

If you look at the present Good Character requirements, those long ago speeding tickets won't be a fail of Good Character. However not being honest in an application, is classed as deception. By answering honestly, you can't be accused of using deception.

Oh, I know it's not a fail for having them... I just don't remember the details other than that I would've been going between 5 and 15mph above the speed limit (enough to be too fast, but not so much that it was classed as "reckless").  I have no records from them because they were so long ago.  How detailed do I need to be in reporting them?  I only vaguely know where they occurred, and can estimate the year based on where I was at the time.  I can remember definitely getting three.  I don't remember whether I was given a warning or a citation the last time I was pulled over.  Do I just say all this, or do I need to contact the counties and try to get documentation?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 70
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 06:32:49 PM »
Interesting, I was going to probably ask this question at a much later date but as it has come up now...

Back in 2014 we had an entry clearance refusal at Heathrow, as the ECO wasn't convinced of the duration of stay. Is this something we should mention in a cover letter on the AN form (when the time comes), just to be sure? Of course we've declared it on the fiancee visa application, and the subsequent FLR(M)s.

Is it the sort of thing that can fall foul of the good character requirements? At the extreme end, should we wait until 2024 to apply for citizenship (>10 years out from the initial refusal)?

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 06:56:48 PM »
Back in 2014 we had an entry clearance refusal at Heathrow, as the ECO wasn't convinced of the duration of stay. Is this something we should mention in a cover letter on the AN form (when the time comes), just to be sure? Of course we've declared it on the fiancee visa application, and the subsequent FLR(M)s.

Is it the sort of thing that can fall foul of the good character requirements?

That's nothing and is not a fail of good character. All you have to do is to make sure you continue to mention that on applications when asked and don't fail to put it on as you assume that they already know. They do know, but if you didn't mention it when asked on an application, then that would cause a problem as it would be viewed as deception and is a 10 year ban.

At the extreme end, should we wait until 2024 to apply for citizenship (>10 years out from the initial refusal)?

No. Don't worry. Have a read of the present Good Character requirement link I put above, to see what can cause a fail. Even a Caution (admitting to a minor crime instead of going to court) is only a fail of GC for something like 3 years.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:14:14 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 70
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 07:19:18 PM »
Brilliant, thanks so much Sirius :)

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 09:06:00 AM »

I had to study that question too. Glad you brought it up as (when I was experimenting and trying the online application) I didn't get that it including speeding/parking tix. But AN Guide certainly makes it obvious. Bloody bus lane cameras!! It makes you feel like a true criminal when filling it out!!! :-\\\\

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 09:46:53 AM »
I had to study that question too. Glad you brought it up as (when I was experimenting and trying the online application) I didn't get that it including speeding/parking tix. But AN Guide certainly makes it obvious. Bloody bus lane cameras!! It makes you feel like a true criminal when filling it out!!! :-\\\\

I had to read it like 10 times because the flr(m) application specifically  states do NOT include those!  ;D

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 10:30:01 AM »
NCS is worth it because you get to keep your passport and BRP while processing, meaning you are not stuck for up to six months while it's processed.

DEFINITELY apply for the passport at the same time.  It eliminates needing an interview and gets your passport to you quicker (mine arrived less than a week after my ceremony).

Well apparently not all councils are made equal! I've been communicating with my local council (Nottingham). They no longer perform the passport check. So it appears I will have to be without it.   >:( Fortunately we don't have any trips planned (& sort of prepared ourselves for me being without it).  But that is really bizarre.

Do you suppose I could go to another council?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 10:40:17 AM »
Well apparently not all councils are made equal! I've been communicating with my local council (Nottingham). They no longer perform the passport check. So it appears I will have to be without it.   >:( Fortunately we don't have any trips planned (& sort of prepared ourselves for me being without it).  But that is really bizarre.

Do you suppose I could go to another council?

Nottingham City Council offers it.  I'd try them!

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/births-deaths-marriages/nationality-checking-service/

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab