Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Buying Drugs in the UK with a US Prescription (And You're Not on the NHS)  (Read 2497 times)

• Liked: 2
Hello,

Long story short, I have a parent with lung cancer and the meds they need costs about $2,600 a month in the US.

If I take their prescription to a UK pharmacy, would they sell me the needed medicine? Does anyone know what it might cost?

Of course, my parent is a US citizen, so they aren't on the NHS. Sorry if this sounds like we are trying to take advantage, that's really not the case.

Thank you.

• Liked: 3589
I don't believe that any UK pharmacies can legally fill a foreign prescription.

If it was a prescription written by a private GP or hospital in the UK, that could be done (and it would be charged at non-NHS rate), but not a US prescription.

• Liked: 716
I don't believe that any UK pharmacies can legally fill a foreign prescription.

If it was a prescription written by a private GP or hospital in the UK, that could be done (and it would be charged at non-NHS rate), but not a US prescription.

I agree. I arrived in the UK last year with a US prescription but had to see a doctor to issue a UK prescription for exactly the same drug. She accepted the diagnosis and US prescription without further examination but the chemist would not fill a prescription from a US doctor.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 4985
There is a service called Push Doctor that may be able to help you get the US prescription written into a UK private prescription. 

Thank you all.

• Liked: 342
Have they looked into getting the meds in Mexico? I read a US article that said Mexico had become a popular destination for US citizens seeking health care and that the meds in Mexico are almost half that of the USA.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:19:01 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 672
I wouldn't try TJ for the meds - most likely going to be sold baking powder in a capsule. If they can go a bit further east along the border, to Tecate, and have someone walk across the border for them, about two blocks straight down the main street, on the left (past the pottery), is a pharmacy that will take US prescriptions.  I had to go there to get asthma meds for a cat once (no, really) and they sold the albuterol to me for $10 a vial, rather than the $195 the local pharmacies wanted. The cat improved, so I know it wasn't a dud canister.

Of course, that was a few years ago and I'm not sure the place is still there. Or if they'd even stock the meds your folks need. I'd try Canada, if it were me.

Thank you all for the kind suggestions. We are looking into other countries as well - cancer meds are crazy expensive, and a lot of places are (understandably) tight about selling them. I have a friend whose dad is a pharmacist in Canada, and he is checking and we're exploring other places, too. I will try exploring Mexico further as well. Much love to all.

• Liked: 6110
Thank you all for the kind suggestions. We are looking into other countries as well - cancer meds are crazy expensive, and a lot of places are (understandably) tight about selling them. I have a friend whose dad is a pharmacist in Canada, and he is checking and we're exploring other places, too. I will try exploring Mexico further as well. Much love to all.

I’m so sorry you’re in this situation. I hope everything works out for you and your family.

• Liked: 4985
Northern Soul, does the medication not fall under Medicare?

Re: Buying Drugs in the UK with a US Prescription (And You're Not on the NHS)
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 12:57:30 AM »
I would also suggest looking further into Mexico for the medication.  My late grandparents used to stay with a relative in NM, and make annual trips into Mexico for their medication.  They never got any duds, and saved a lot of money. 

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 09:48:10 PM »
One thing to remember, in Mexico you should have a prescription from a Mexican doctor if it's a prescription med there. (I think the med I got at Tecate was OTC in Mex, though prescription in the USA.). Because they do frown on it if the pharmacy breaks the law by selling you a prescription drug without proper authorization. And Mexican jails are not nice!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:38:43 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 342
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 02:53:06 PM »
I saw my Mexican friends yesterday and they said there are private doctors in  Mexico and that it is quite common for US citizens to travel to Mexico for cheaper health care.

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 03:03:37 PM »
I saw my Mexican friends yesterday and they said there are private doctors in  Mexico and that it is quite common for US citizens to travel to Mexico for cheaper health care.

Very true. And dentistry - it's much cheaper there to get involved dental work. Have a friend who had a lot of work done and is very happy with it, at a fraction of the cost a California dentist would have charged.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab