Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: USC Kids Living in UK with Citizenship by Descent Parent  (Read 252 times)

• Liked: 2
USC Kids Living in UK with Citizenship by Descent Parent
« on: January 21, 2018, 03:49:20 PM »
I wanted to revisit this topic as someone else was asking about this after I posted in 2015.

DH is UK citizen by descent. I am here on a spouse visa and the kids are on dependent visas. It seems we can register our children as citizens otherwise than by descent once we have lived here for three years.

Is anyone able to chime in if I'm reading this correctly, or have been through the process themselves?

From the guidance notes for form MN1: Registration as a British citizen– A guide about the registration of children under 18

Find the link here: https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen/children-born-outside-uk

Children born abroad to British parents – Section 3(2) or section 3(5) application.
This category applies to children who:
 were born outside the United Kingdom
 if born after 21 May 2002, were born outside any of the British overseas territories (listed below) and
 in either case, were born to parents who are British citizens by descent (see “Automatic acquisition of British citizenship” in this guide).

Section 3(5)
To qualify under this section the child and their mother and father should have lived in the UK (or British overseas territory if born after 21 May 2002) for a 3 year period ending with the date the application is received. And the child and their parents should be physically present in the UK or a British overseas territory at the start of that period.

• Liked: 3589
Re: USC Kids Living in UK with Citizenship by Descent Parent
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 04:04:59 PM »
Yes, I believe you're correct :).

• Liked: 2
Re: USC Kids Living in UK with Citizenship by Descent Parent
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 04:11:03 PM »
Thank you!

This will make my life so much easier, assuming this option hasn't changed by September when they are eligible. I haven't taken a close look at the application, but am happy to document the process here for other people's reference (and for feedback if applicable!).

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab