Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: "Non-straightforward case" email from Sheffield - spousal visa  (Read 8818 times)

• Liked: 14
"Non-straightforward case" email from Sheffield - spousal visa
« on: January 22, 2018, 05:59:00 PM »
Hi all,

Last week we heard from our MP's office that they checked our case and there were no red flags indicating our application should take longer than the usual 12 weeks to process. Today marks the start of my 12th week since the application was submitted and I got the dreaded email stating: "Unfortunately, the processing of your application has not been straightforward and we will be unable to decide your application within our customer service targets."

So, as far as I understand, they've now bought themselves unlimited time to get back to me. Is this correct? Does anyone have any experiences with this?

I was able to get a second, limited-validity US passport, which should arrive this week. I would like to at least get myself to Europe to be closer to my partner. We've heard conflicting info about whether or not it is wise for me to travel/leave the US.

Can anyone tell me the process for actually receiving a non-priority spousal visa from a logistical perspective? Do I have to physically check in somewhere in the US to get my passport back? Or is all my paperwork mailed back to me? I want to travel to be closer to my partner, but if there's some regulatory or logistical constraint that would cause further delays in the receipt of my visa...well, I don't want to risk it.

This really sucks. :(
Unmarried partner visa, non-priority
Online application: 27 Oct 17
Biometrics: 02 Nov 17
Docs sent via UPS: 03 Nov 17
UPS conf of docs arrival: 06 Nov 17
Sheffield conf of app received: 06 Nov 17
MP's office told no non-straightforward flags on our case; processing to be completed by following week: 18 Jan 18
Non-straightforward email: 22 Jan 18 :(
Decision made email: 25 Jan 2018
Docs returned: 29 Jan 2018

• Liked: 6110
Re: "Non-straightforward case" email from Sheffield - spousal visa
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 06:02:12 PM »
Yes, they are buying themselves time but sometimes the decision comes not long after the  not straight forward email.

You can travel to Europe with your other passport but you will need to be at the address that you recorded on your application in order to receive your package as that is where it'll be sent once Sheffield is finished with it.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 06:13:24 PM »
Yes, they are buying themselves time but sometimes the decision comes not long after the  not straight forward email.

You can travel to Europe with your other passport but you will need to be at the address that you recorded on your application in order to receive your package as that is where it'll be sent once Sheffield is finished with it.

Thanks for the quick response and the slight ray of hope.

Do I have to be in person myself (as in show some sort of ID) to receive the package? Or can anyone be there to sign for it? Frankly, even if I was in the country, I'm trying to minimize my time at my US mailing address, which is my parents' house. It's in a rural part of the world, and I prefer to be in a city with friends. So I possibly wouldn't have been home anyway.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:16:55 PM by tiff »
MP's office told no non-straightforward flags on our case; processing to be completed by following week: 18 Jan 18

• Liked: 68
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 06:16:57 PM »
Thanks for the response, and the slight ray of hope.

Do I have to be in person myself (as in show some sort of ID) to receive the package? Or can anyone be there to sign for it? Frankly, even if I was in the country, I'm trying to minimize my time at my US mailing address, which is my parents' house. It's in a rural part of the world, and I prefer to be in a city with friends. So I possibly wouldn't have been home anyway.

Sign up for UPS My Choice - it will let you know when packages are shipped to you at that address. Once you get notification that it's shipped, you can change the delivery to a pick up instead and usually are able to go pick up from a hub or a UPS store.
Type of Application: Settlement Spouse Visa (non priority)
Met Husband: 10 September 2015
Got married: 13 October 2017
Online application: 26 Nov 2017
Decision email received: 8 March 2018 (68 BD)
Passport received: 12 March 2018 - APPROVED!
Arrived in the UK: 31 March 2018
FLR(M) Extension Submitted: 15 September 2020
Submitted Documents and Biometrics via IDV: 8 October 2020
FLR(M) Approval: 30 December 2020
SET(M) Submitted: 15 July 2023
Submitted Docs & Biometrics: 10 August 2023
SET (M) Approved: 13 October 2023

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 06:22:45 PM »
Sign up for UPS My Choice - it will let you know when packages are shipped to you at that address. Once you get notification that it's shipped, you can change the delivery to a pick up instead and usually are able to go pick up from a hub or a UPS store.

That's a good tip. But still, is it a requirement that it's literally me picking it up, or can I authorize someone else to pick it up?  I don't want to screw things up by not being in the country (because I have a second US passport).

• Liked: 768
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 06:49:43 PM »
That's a good tip. But still, is it a requirement that it's literally me picking it up, or can I authorize someone else to pick it up?  I don't want to screw things up by not being in the country (because I have a second US passport).
UPS usually leaves it without requiring a signature. I've not heard of anyone in the last year or so actually signing for their package.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 07:28:18 PM »
If what you are asking - without just asking - is "Can someone else sign for my passport and ship it to me in a different country?"

Yes, but there's risk involved.  As long as they are mailing it to you in a third country and you'll use THAT passport to enter the UK, it won't be a problem.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 07:31:24 PM »
If what you are asking - without just asking - is "Can someone else sign for my passport and ship it to me in a different country?"

Yes, but there's risk involved.  As long as they are mailing it to you in a third country and you'll use THAT passport to enter the UK, it won't be a problem.

Ok, thanks. I definitely am not 100% excited about the idea of having my regular passport shipped to a third country, but also, it's looking like "any day now" could go on indefinitely for my application.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 07:34:14 PM »
Where will you go and where will you stay?  The logistics could get hard...

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 07:44:58 PM »
Where will you go and where will you stay?  The logistics could get hard...

We were considering the Republic of Ireland, since my partner is in Northern Ireland and could come down to see me easily. I'd stay with a friend in Dublin. However, we did hear that it's possible I could get turned away by Irish immigration, given that I have an active UK visa application and whatever limitations exist with reciprocal immigration agreements between the UK and Ireland.

Otherwise, it would be somewhere in continental Europe. I have family in Germany as one option.

What logistical concerns would you have (beyond the prospect of my regular passport being lost in the mail to me)?

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 08:25:51 PM »
I would 100% avoid Ireland.  That's the only country you need to avoid.

Editing to add:

The reason I would avoid it is because there is no passport control between the UK and Ireland and UK authorities won't know if you remained in Ireland or continued onto the UK.  When you go to apply for your next visa, it could be considered deception which could result in a ban. 

I know it's really really tough, but anyway you can just wait it out in the USA?  I know it's awful....  but it really is a short time in the grand scheme of things...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 08:27:47 PM by KFdancer »

• Liked: 9
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 08:48:05 PM »

So, as far as I understand, they've now bought themselves unlimited time to get back to me. Is this correct? Does anyone have any experiences with this?

Yes, I received a not straightforward email on 24th November 2017. Still waiting for a response.
Type of Application:  Settlement Spouse Visa (non priority) Second time applying; first was denied
Country applying from:  USA
Nationality:  UK Citizen; husband is US Citizen
Biometrics:  12 Oct
Online application:  16 Oct
Package sent:  17 Oct
Package arrived:  19 Oct
UKVI receipt of application:  30 Oct
UKVI "non straightforward" email: 24 Nov
Decision made email: 23 Jan
Approval: 30 Jan

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 08:56:38 PM »
I would 100% avoid Ireland.  That's the only country you need to avoid.

Editing to add:

The reason I would avoid it is because there is no passport control between the UK and Ireland and UK authorities won't know if you remained in Ireland or continued onto the UK.  When you go to apply for your next visa, it could be considered deception which could result in a ban. 

I know it's really really tough, but anyway you can just wait it out in the USA?  I know it's awful....  but it really is a short time in the grand scheme of things...

Thanks, I truly appreciate the real-talk advice. I'm just starting to get a bit miserable, feeling like my time spent here is pointless. Plus, I'm trying not to wear out my welcome with my wonderful friends who host me, so I'm bouncing around from week to week.

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 08:57:41 PM »
Yes, I received a not straightforward email on 24th November 2017. Still waiting for a response.

That's terrible. I'm so sorry to hear it! :(

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 09:09:22 PM »
I would go back to the MP and update them.  Tell them you are now told the application is not straight forward and you want to know why - as you haven't had any requests for any additional information, have no convictions or prior overstays, etc.  Hopefully you can get an answer or better yet, they'll just process your visa.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab