Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Help shipping just a few boxes!  (Read 1254 times)

• Wishing I was in the UK now!
  • Liked: 0
Help shipping just a few boxes!
« on: May 31, 2003, 06:27:14 AM »
I just want to ship about 5 boxes, I am selling everything but our clothes, and my sons toys.  I want to ship some toys, and pictures and papers, but have not found a inexpensive way to do it.  I might be mistaken but it looked like approx. $275 to ship a 70# box through the USPS.  Does anyone know of any other companys that do it?  Thank you thank you!!!!

Re: Help shipping just a few boxes!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2003, 02:06:44 PM »
I would check with your airline.  Might be able to take a few extra boxes/suitcases other than your 2 per person limit.  For a charge of course, but probably cheaper than $275.  Other than that, try shipping ground service with USPS.  Or UPS. Good luck!  And congrats on getting rid of all your stuff - how brave of you to shed it all but clothes and toys.

• Wishing I was in the UK now!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2003, 06:24:57 PM »
Thank you!  I checked with the airline it is $120 extra for #70.  I am hoping to find a bit cheaper, but if not then I will just go with that.  

Thanks for calling me brave, but to me the cost of shipping my belongings isn't worth it.  I have some nice things, but it's not like my fiance' doesn't have furniture, so I figure why bother?  Anyway it's a GREAT excuse to go shopping  ;)!  

I emailed UPS, and they told me they didn't ship personal belongings internationally.  I might give the USPS a call, because $275 sounded outrageous for the surface (slow boat).  

I think the hardest challenge I will have in moving, is trying to get my 8 year old to give up some of his toys or junk as I call it.  He is thrilled to be going to where Harry Potter is based...lol, an angle I have worked big time for the adjustment.  

Thanks for your suggestion about the airlines.  I hope to keep up the research to find a cheaper way.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2003, 07:13:21 PM »
I posted this in the intro section as well, but thought I'd put it here too.

Have you been to this part of the website?

http://www.uk-yankee.com/shipping.php
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2003, 12:36:40 AM »
Oh good.  I'm glad I could finally help someone on this board.  Seems like I'm always receiving the advice and info from others.  $120 ain't bad really.  And I do admire that you can get rid of your stuff.  I didn't/don't have much of value but hauled most of it over here on a container - talk about expensive!!   But cheaper than replacing it all that's for damn sure.  Good luck with the move and convincing your son that there are lots of ToysRUs's here too!

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2003, 02:47:11 AM »
Hiya NYinBrighton!

Would you mind messaging me with the shipping company you used to bring stuff from NY? Would you use them again? Was it really expensive? Thanks! I'm going to box stuff up the next time we're home visiting

Thanks!
;D

• NYC to London. Must be a city thing.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2003, 04:27:17 AM »
If it were up to me, I would choose to go with the airlines, since it sounds cheaper that way anyway. The USPS service, especially if you are going for their cheapest is VERY unreliable. If they say it'll take 6-8 weeks, expect it in double that. If you do go that route, pay the extra for the insurance and tracking.

Another option would be to wait until you know someone will visit (preferably after the summer 'high' season for airline prices) and have them bring it. It would be almost as cheap as shipping, and you have a set time for someone to visit you, an added bonus.

Personally, I'm still bringing things over slowly, two suitcases at a time every time we go back and forth (or three if we pack lightly going!). Of course, eventually we'll probably be moving back to the States, which will probably involve shipping, selling and swearing.  ::)

Best of luck with your move!

Tricia
« Last Edit: June 01, 2003, 04:28:00 AM by Tricia »
"You can wordify anything if you just verb it." -- Bucky, Get Fuzzy

Sponsored Links