Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Name your Celebrity Doppelganger  (Read 7465 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: Name your Celebrity Doppelganger
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2018, 02:36:15 PM »
That's a good one.  Everyone likes Elaine.

Lyonaria, some people can follow instructions...

I've never been good at following instructions. I can only remember 2 out of 3 things in list.

No one has ever compared me in any way to anyone famous or a character in any show/movie/or play.

My friends and I have a long running joke (like 12+ years) that I'm Belle from Beauty and the Beast (my other friend is Aurora aka Sleeping Beauty). And I've always loved her. She read a lot. She sang. She didn't really fit in. I definitely felt kinship to her. BUT. She was a bit too nice and sweet.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2018, 02:45:40 PM »
My husband says I'm way too much like Courtney Cox's character "Monica" on "Friends". It's because I'm a keen cook, like things to be a particular way, organized but with a trashy closet (it's actually my garage) and that I'm a bit goofy and loud.

I guess we are well-suited because he's sarcastic like "Chandler" and had a career spanning 30 years that no one (including me) had any clue what he did and ended up having a creative job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2018, 04:10:16 PM »
I don't watch too many films or tv shows and can't tell any celebrities apart.  So someone pick one for me:

I'm into engineering and beer brewing and other geeky things, but don't fit the role of a television geeks- Ya know, the 'cool' geek. That is not me.

I'm introverted and prefer my own energy. But I do have lots of friends. I need to be in the mood for expending all my energy to my friends though. And then I need to rest afterwards and recharge with my introversion energy.

I am quite musical and love playing the trombone.

I love the Grateful Dead and wear lots of tie-dyes and rainbow colours.   I love music festivals.  I am not a total hippie though, because I am a PLASTICS engineer, don't eat exclusively organic and enjoy meat.   So I am partly evil too. 

I love growing vegetables, fruit and flowers,raising animals (would love more space for more than just chickens), and these days, making more and more 'DIY' food, like dairy free cheese for my hubby.

I hate cleaning, but love organisation.  Basically, keep it all "5S'd" so that I don't have to clean. 

I am definitely not athletic in any way shape or form. I am a total klutz. 

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2018, 04:16:05 PM »
I forgot about the plastic engineer bit of your CV.  It's getting a bit unfashionable now with everyone hating on cling film veggies. 

You are a hard one to pigeonhole, like Margo.  I  think that's a positive.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2018, 04:24:24 PM »
I forgot about the plastic engineer bit of your CV.  It's getting a bit unfashionable now with everyone hating on cling film veggies. 

Totally, but of course, there are tons of plastics used within our mobile phones, automobiles, tablets, clothing, shoes, televisions, appliances, medical products, etc, etc, etc,etc. 

How do you think we make more fuel efficient and cheaper cars?
Why do we think our mobile phones weigh so little?   Why can TVs be put on walls? What insulates our broadband wires?  What do you think makes solar panels actually affordable these days?   

We aren't screaming that we should return to the dark ages and we shouldn't. Plastics save lives, save money, and will only be key to future technologies. So yeah, I get on my soapbox when I hear on the news about plastics.    ;D

(What we need is better ways to recycle and reclaim these materials cheaper and easier.)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:26:05 PM by phatbeetle »
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2018, 04:32:28 PM »
It seems to me that it's all about single use plastic in the grocery store.  Trays and film for beets and parsnip (happy burns night BTW, I had smokies for lunch) and goddang straws!  What are your feelings about that?  I  wish we could reduce that kind of stuff.

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2018, 04:34:11 PM »
I  cry when I open the plastic around an avocado and take it out of that stupid tray and I know none of it is actually getting recycled because it's cheaper to make new.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2018, 04:37:49 PM »
I  cry when I open the plastic around an avocado and take it out of that stupid tray and I know none of it is actually getting recycled because it's cheaper to make new.

I honestly think more single use plastics get used here in the grocery store than they did in the US. All my veg in the us was put into plastic (recyclable) plastic bags and not those shrink wrapped ones.

The plastics we use in other things fascinate me!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2018, 04:50:04 PM »
You know, the thing is, supermarkets wrap up tons of fruit and veg because they're keeping things in long term storage to put them out year round.  And we all love to have our fruit and veg and meat year round and not seasonally.

Most packaging is to protect the product, to make them all a uniform size so they can be shifted by robots, for marketing purposes and to annoy the sh*t out of us.

I hate straws (some people only drink out of straws because they don't trust restaurant dishwashers) and I personally try and buy loose fruit and veg and don't wrap up in bags. 
Why give me a wrapped up broccoli? So stupid and waste of resources.  Those same resources could be used to create a plastic that is made out of biodegradable materials.
So yeah, despite loving plastics,  I am also of the opinion to use plastics where we need to (and there are plenty of places as I stated above where it makes much more sense). 
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2018, 04:56:13 PM »
Speaking of recycling plastic... nasal cannulae...  Medical waste or recyclable plastic?  Anybody know?  (Asking for a friend.  *shifty eyes*)

I order from Tesco, and they give you the option of having your delivery with or without bags (flat rate of 40p per order if you want them).  I say no bags.  Much of the fruit and veg comes in brown paper bags (with paper handles... I quite like them).  But then they put the individual items in plastic bags, and then put the plastic bags into the paper bag.  And I'm left scratching my head.  I believe it's so they have something to stick the scannable label to, but I don't see why they couldn't stick all the labels to the side of the paper bag as they put each item in.

Anyway, my avocados don't come in a plastic tray and sleeve.  They're loose.  Tesco does sell them in a two-pack with a tray and sleeve, but I can't justify it.  Plus, those cost more.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2018, 05:02:56 PM »
I do click and collect from Tesco and always specify without bags.  It's not the biggest deal since I would reuse those bags as bin bags.

I also like those little paper bags and I avoid the twin packs of avocado unless they are the only ripe ones.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2018, 05:19:04 PM »
Speaking of recycling plastic... nasal cannulae...  Medical waste or recyclable plastic?  Anybody know?  (Asking for a friend.  *shifty eyes*)

Some hospitals recycle these.  Also worth checking with the local council for anything they may have for medical plastics. 

Otherwise, any chance they could be upcycled into something?
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2018, 05:28:31 PM »
I do click and collect from Tesco and always specify without bags.  It's not the biggest deal since I would reuse those bags as bin bags.

I also like those little paper bags and I avoid the twin packs of avocado unless they are the only ripe ones.

I just collect the bags that accumulate (even though I said no bags!), tied into little knots, and periodically hand a bag full of knotted bags back to the delivery driver.  Hopefully, the bags get recycled.

Oh my gawd, I've had to refuse avocados (and go without!) or request refunds because the people who pick my fruit and veg here are apparently blind and/or have no tactile sensation in their hands.  I had already sent the driver on his way one time when I pulled an avocado out of the bag and it collapsed in my grip.  I went through the motions and cut it open, but it was even worse than I thought.  I have the worst time getting good avocados here.  This is a big part of my motivation to buy a car.  I just want to pick out my own food every week. 

Someday.  *wistful sigh*

Those same resources could be used to create a plastic that is made out of biodegradable materials.

My council collects food waste every week.  They give us a "kitchen caddy" bin for collecting it as you cook, and a larger green bin to put it by the roadside in.  For both, you can optionally buy biodegradable liners to keep the caddy/bin reasonably clean.  I use the liners for the caddy.  I don't even feel guilty.

So yeah, despite loving plastics,  I am also of the opinion to use plastics where we need to (and there are plenty of places as I stated above where it makes much more sense). 

I really regret all of the petroleum we waste on frivolous things when I am likely to need medical care one day and will want the equipment/supplies to be readily available.  That said, I still want a car so I can go do my own shopping.  Tesco sucks.

Some hospitals recycle these.  Also worth checking with the local council for anything they may have for medical plastics. 

Otherwise, any chance they could be upcycled into something?

We did try to "upcycle" one to deliver expanding foam into a corrugated roof to stop a leak.  We had trouble making a good seal at the join, and it ended up exploding in slow motion.  There was expanding foam everywhere.  Funny now, but not so much at the time. :)

Oooh, but if I do get into hydroponics, maybe I could use some of it for drip irrigation tubing, or something.

My area have a really good recycling collection program, so that's a good idea to check with the council.  I don't want to contaminate the recycling stream by just throwing it in there (even though it's not any worse than a plastic bottle that someone drank out of!), but I also don't want to put them in the rubbish.  I'll ask.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab