Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bank Account  (Read 3070 times)

• Liked: 66
Bank Account
« on: January 24, 2018, 04:17:45 PM »
Ok it took over 3 weeks but as of yesterday I have a bank account! Yay!

Just wanted to update on the process I did to get it in case it helps anyone because all banks that I went to (Barclays and Nationwide being the main two) said they no longer accept mail like NIN application letter. They require a utility bill. I don’t have that as we are temporarily staying with my MIL and didn’t want to go thru that hassle with her.

Still she was an all star and phoned the manager of the Nationwide branch that she went to trying to help us with official bank statements back in October while applying. Turns out they make an “exception” and will allow for a solicitor letter confirming address in place of a untitling bill.

My MIL then phoned her solicitor who kindly and freely sent us a letter the next day in the post. Nationwide accepted this without issue.  And now I have an account! Yay!

I also learned that I have some sort of decent credit history here from my year at uni - I had a lease on the flat, bank account and phone contract that apparently helped my score. Who knew!

Basically, bank account set up is fiddly but eventually worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spouse Visa (Priority)

App Submitted Online: 18 Oct 2017
Biometrics + Docs Sent: 23 Oct 2017
Received in Sheffield email: 25 Oct 2017
Decision email: 20 Nov 2017 (18 BD)
Passport received: 22 Nov 2017 (APPROVED)
Travel to UK: 28 Dec 2017

FLR(m):
App Submitted Online: 08 July 2020
Biometrics submitted via IDV app: 7 Sept 2020
Approval: 19 Nov 2020

ILR (Priority):
App submitted: 19 Jan 2023
Biometrics: 8 Feb 2023
Approval: 8 Feb 2023

Citizenship:
App submitted: 28 July 2023
Biometrics: 17 Aug 2023
Approval: 27 Nov 2023
Ceremony: 27 Nov 2023

• Liked: 718
Re: Bank Account
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 04:29:26 PM »
Congratulations, and thanks for the details of what you had to do.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 04:42:18 PM »
I feel like the regulations for proof of address are becoming very discriminatory towards low income folks and newly landed legal residents.

If barclays doesn't accept my US bank statement mailed to my UK address, I may flip out. They told me they stopped accepting mail from DWP in November aside from benefits letters, but that bank statements would still work. My appointment is in 2 weeks so we will see!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 66
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 06:50:49 PM »
I feel like the regulations for proof of address are becoming very discriminatory towards low income folks and newly landed legal residents.

If barclays doesn't accept my US bank statement mailed to my UK address, I may flip out. They told me they stopped accepting mail from DWP in November aside from benefits letters, but that bank statements would still work. My appointment is in 2 weeks so we will see!

Fingers crossed it gets accepted! Can’t see why it wouldn’t :)

As annoying as it is for us, I feel like it’s crazy unfair for low income residents and citizens! We asked what someone who is homeless can possibly do and the answer was absurd: basically they have to frequent a shelter long enough and consistently enough for a manager equivalent of the shelter to vouch for them in a special letter. Unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spouse Visa (Priority)

App Submitted Online: 18 Oct 2017
Biometrics + Docs Sent: 23 Oct 2017
Received in Sheffield email: 25 Oct 2017
Decision email: 20 Nov 2017 (18 BD)
Passport received: 22 Nov 2017 (APPROVED)
Travel to UK: 28 Dec 2017

FLR(m):
App Submitted Online: 08 July 2020
Biometrics submitted via IDV app: 7 Sept 2020
Approval: 19 Nov 2020

ILR (Priority):
App submitted: 19 Jan 2023
Biometrics: 8 Feb 2023
Approval: 8 Feb 2023

Citizenship:
App submitted: 28 July 2023
Biometrics: 17 Aug 2023
Approval: 27 Nov 2023
Ceremony: 27 Nov 2023

• Liked: 718
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 07:12:03 PM »
When our son returned from the USA last September he had his UK passport but no job and no NINO when he opened his bank account which was very important because he needed to transfer his money from his bank in the USA. Fortunately he was living with us and the bank accepted a letter from us plus a utility bill made out to us. We had been customers of the bank for over over 30 years but even a statement from them to our address was not good enough, it had to be a utility bill, apparently a government regulation rather than a bank rule. His NINO was not needed, just a promise to notify the bank once he had received it (some weeks later).

I don’t know how folks without this sort of support manage to open a bank account.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 52
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 10:28:20 PM »
Does anyone know if a broadband bill would be considered a "utility" bill? We are moving into my in laws second "home", a flat actually, and although we will be paying the water and electric they are in their name. However, they don't have broadband and we will be getting this bill sent in our name. Hoping this will help us on the bank account.

Thanks
UK Spouse Visa
Married: 2001 (Both Living in the US)
Biometrics: 27 Dec 2017
Received in Sheffield: 02 Jan 2018
Decision email: 24 Jan 2018 (17 Bus. Days)
Returned mail: 28 Jan 2018 It's a YES!!!
Landed in UK: 11 Feb 2018
Granted FLR(M): 22 Oct 2020
Granted ILR:  28 Feb 2023
Citizenship Granted:  18 Jan 2024

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 10:33:39 PM »
Does anyone know if a broadband bill would be considered a "utility" bill? We are moving into my in laws second "home", a flat actually, and although we will be paying the water and electric they are in their name. However, they don't have broadband and we will be getting this bill sent in our name. Hoping this will help us on the bank account.

Thanks

I have assumed it does... it's a utility going to a fixed location, and you're receiving the statement at that address.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 11:34:34 PM »
Why not change it to your name though? It's really easy. We swapped the electric/gas and water to my name for bills really easy. Though if you aren't staying for awhile it might not be worth it.

I'd call and ask your bank if you're wondering. It seems every bank and registrar's office has different things they'll accept.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 52
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 02:53:55 AM »
I have assumed it does... it's a utility going to a fixed location, and you're receiving the statement at that address.

Thanks for the info on the broadband. Does switching and or having the electric and water in our name help with credit at all or is it only a credit card paid off regularly?
UK Spouse Visa
Married: 2001 (Both Living in the US)
Biometrics: 27 Dec 2017
Received in Sheffield: 02 Jan 2018
Decision email: 24 Jan 2018 (17 Bus. Days)
Returned mail: 28 Jan 2018 It's a YES!!!
Landed in UK: 11 Feb 2018
Granted FLR(M): 22 Oct 2020
Granted ILR:  28 Feb 2023
Citizenship Granted:  18 Jan 2024

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 03:46:47 AM »
Thanks for the info on the broadband. Does switching and or having the electric and water in our name help with credit at all or is it only a credit card paid off regularly?

I'm not the person to ask about UK credit.  I have done absolutely nothing to establish mine in the 5 years I've been resident here.  Well, I applied for a card a couple of years ago.  I was approved, but there was an issue when I submitted my identity documents (I brought them in to a branch, as instructed, but the woman at the branch internal-routed them incorrectly and my application lapsed before they got to the right place... the bank invited me to reapply, but then I was no longer sure I wanted to bank with them (I mean, really!) and I didn't want a second credit enquiry to go with a different bank so soon after that one (not a good way to establish credit!)... so I did nothing.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 11:25:40 AM »
I don't know much about credit either. Though my husband added me to his credit card, which I'm sure helps.

I'm on all of our utilities and I've been on a phone for 3 years. We bought online or else I couldn't have been the name on it. Which reminds me. We need to change my phone into my name.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 35
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 09:35:28 AM »
I don't know much about credit either. Though my husband added me to his credit card, which I'm sure helps.

If you were added on as a joint account holder then yes. If you were added on as just a cardholder then probably not. There is a big difference between the two.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 12:04:45 PM »
Whilst irritating, the rules on ID documents and what is acceptable are due to money laundering regulations and are set by the government. Checklist here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/proof-of-identity-checklist/proof-of-identity-checklist#money-laundering-regulations

It's also important in terms of potential identity theft.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 12:38:55 PM »
Whilst irritating, the rules on ID documents and what is acceptable are due to money laundering regulations and are set by the government. Checklist here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/proof-of-identity-checklist/proof-of-identity-checklist#money-laundering-regulations

It's also important in terms of potential identity theft.
Yes, but the individuals I dealt with decided on completely arbitrary things.. Like my US bank account statement which has never included a routing number or IBAN was invalid because those numbers weren't on there. They also refused a tenancy agreement with my name on it. So while the government may set the KYC guidelines each bank and each employee of the bank has the ability to decide on stricter regs which seems to be the norm. I requested a manager, cried, and after that they agreed that my US statement mailed to my UK address was acceptable and overrode those fields in the system.

• Liked: 35
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 04:34:27 PM »
Whilst irritating, the rules on ID documents and what is acceptable are due to money laundering regulations and are set by the government.

In what world does it make sense to assume 100% of the population are committing a crime that probably 0.01% of the population are? It's the reverse of "innocent until proven guilty".

Sure, the banks should take "reasonable" and common-sense steps, but in reality they make new immigrants feel as if they have done something wrong or are under some kind of suspicion, simply by trying to open a bank account.

Sponsored Links