Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Redundancy and FLR (M)  (Read 16955 times)

• Liked: 8
Redundancy and FLR (M)
« on: January 24, 2018, 07:31:52 PM »
Hi guys,

So I've recieved notice as of today that within 30 days, I will find out if my company will be making me redundant or not.

My partner's first visa expires on 24-01-2019. He arrived in the UK on this visa on 01-05-2016. Correct me if I'm wrong but from my calculations that means we can apply for FLR (M) from 04-10-2018.

I believe the requirements for this visa is 6 months worth of payslips etc meaning I need to be employed from at least the end of March 2018, is that correct? Assuming I'm made redundant (I really hope not), does that mean I have to find another job by March to be able to apply for FLR (M)?

What are our options of I don't manage to get a job by then? I'm pummeling the job sites with my CV at the moment so I'm hoping I can have a backup job in place if the worst happens.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 3595
Redundancy and FLR (M)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 07:56:38 PM »
Sorry to hear about your possible redundancy... fingers crossed it will be positive news.

In regards to the FLR(M), if he arrived in the UK on 1st May 2016, the earliest he can apply for FLR(M) is 28 days before 1st November 2018 and the latest is 24th January 2019.

Since you have until the visa expires to apply, the absolute latest you would need to be employed by  to meet the 6 months would be 24th July 2018... though that would be cutting it too close, so I would aim for the beginning of July at the latest.

Having said that, you can still meet the requirement if:
- you have been at the job for less than 6 months
 AND
- you have earned at least £18,600 in total before tax in the previous 12 months before applying.

Other options if you aren’t able to get a job:
- your partner gets a job paying £18,600 or more and uses his income to meet the requirement instead
- if neither of you has any income: £62,500 in savings held in your account(s) for at least 6 months
- non-employment income of £18,600 or more per year
- pension income if either of your draws a monthly pension totalling £18,600 or more per year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Redundancy and FLR (M)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 03:41:57 PM »

Sorry to hear about your possible redundancy... fingers crossed it will be positive news.

In regards to the FLR(M), if he arrived in the UK on 1st May 2016, the earliest he can apply for FLR(M) is 28 days before 1st November 2018 and the latest is 24th January 2019.

Since you have until the visa expires to apply, the absolute latest you would need to be employed by  to meet the 6 months would be 24th July 2018... though that would be cutting it too close, so I would aim for the beginning of July at the latest.

Having said that, you can still meet the requirement if:
 AND
- you have earned at least £18,600 in total before tax in the previous 12 months before applying.

Other options if you aren’t able to get a job:
- your partner gets a job paying £18,600 or more and uses his income to meet the requirement instead
- if neither of you has any income: £62,500 in savings held in your account(s) for at least 6 months
- non-employment income of £18,600 or more per year
- pension income if either of your draws a monthly pension totalling £18,600 or more per year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi ksand24,

Thank you for your advice, it helps put things into perspective. I was speaking to my friend about this as we were trying to figure out which route I may meet the requirements on and we weren't sure if mine and my spouses payslips could be combined. I think it says on the guidelines that it can but do you know for sure if that's the case?

We did some calculations and worst case scenario, I could still meet the financial requirements on my own. Here's how we worked it out. Please correct me if I'm wrong at any point.

28 before 1st Nov 2018 would be 4th Oct 2018 as the earliest application date. One of the requirement is:

AND

If we assume get made redundant in early March. I would have payslips from Oct 2017 to Feb 2018 of roughly £3k pre tax (I don't know if I should be mentioning my wages but I can't really explain my thought process otherwise). 5 months worth of that is roughly £15k.

If need be I would get a job outside of my degree to get a job asap and all I would need to earn between March 2018 and Oct 4th 2018 is at least £3.6k.

Those add up right for you as well?

Hell if that is right then I will work any job to keep my husband here, I'd happily clean pig pens if it came to it. Also I believe that with this scenario the later we leave the application, the less payslips I can use to make up the £18.6k requirements, so timing would play a huge role.

However if my husband's wages can be taken into account then we will be ok anyway right?

Also, would redundancy pay and/or bonus pay be counted for the qualifying amounts?

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 04:01:44 PM »
I think it says on the guidelines that it can but do you know for sure if that's the case?

You definitely can. The only reason you can't use his income for the initial spousal visa is because he doesn't have permission to work in the UK yet.

However, as soon as he arrives in the UK on his visa, he can work, so his income can be used for all future visas.

So, for FLR(M) and ILR you can either:
- use your income only, if it meets the requirements
or
- use his income only, if it meets the requirements
or
- if you both work but neither of you earns £18,600 annual salary individually, you can combine your incomes to meet the requirement

If we assume get made redundant in early March. I would have payslips from Oct 2017 to Feb 2018 of roughly £3k pre tax (I don't know if I should be mentioning my wages but I can't really explain my thought process otherwise). 5 months worth of that is roughly £15k.

If need be I would get a job outside of my degree to get a job asap and all I would need to earn between March 2018 and Oct 4th 2018 is at least £3.6k.

Those add up right for you as well?

Well you have to meet two requriements:

1) the new job must pay at least £18,600 per year
AND
2) you must have earned at least £18,600 before tax in the 12 months before the application date.

So, yes, for number 2, you would only need to make a total of £3,600 before tax, but you also need to meet number 1, which would be a job paying at least £1,550 or more per month before tax (£18,600 per year).

[Honestly, if you don't mention your wages, it makes it harder for us to help because we won't know how to advise you on how to meet the requirement.]

However if my husband's wages can be taken into account then we will be ok anyway right?

Yes - and if he earns £18,600 or more by himself, you don't even need to mention your income at all on the application form.

Also, would redundancy pay and/or bonus pay be counted for the qualifying amounts?

Only for previous income, but not for future income unless it's guaranteed in writing to be paid every year, ... and you have to show £18,600 of previous income AND £18,600 of future income.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:03:27 PM by ksand24 »

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 01:41:25 PM »
You definitely can. The only reason you can't use his income for the initial spousal visa is because he doesn't have permission to work in the UK yet.

However, as soon as he arrives in the UK on his visa, he can work, so his income can be used for all future visas.

So, for FLR(M) and ILR you can either:
- use your income only, if it meets the requirements
or
- use his income only, if it meets the requirements
or
- if you both work but neither of you earns £18,600 annual salary individually, you can combine your incomes to meet the requirement

Well you have to meet two requriements:

1) the new job must pay at least £18,600 per year
AND
2) you must have earned at least £18,600 before tax in the 12 months before the application date.

So, yes, for number 2, you would only need to make a total of £3,600 before tax, but you also need to meet number 1, which would be a job paying at least £1,550 or more per month before tax (£18,600 per year).

[Honestly, if you don't mention your wages, it makes it harder for us to help because we won't know how to advise you on how to meet the requirement.]

Yes - and if he earns £18,600 or more by himself, you don't even need to mention your income at all on the application form.

Only for previous income, but not for future income unless it's guaranteed in writing to be paid every year, ... and you have to show £18,600 of previous income AND £18,600 of future income.
Thanks ksand24,

As always you've been an amazing help and given me more confidence in this hard time. I really appreaciate your advice and I'll keep this in mind when looking for another job.

To be honest if I dont get made redundant I might think of looking elsewhere anyway or at least wait until the FLR (M) has been approved. The work culture has gone since the company got acquired (the redundancy notice was the icing on the s*** cake).

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 09:28:45 AM »
Hi all,

Just wanted to give a quick update. I didn't get selected for redundancy which is good however the work environment has plummetted so badly that it's pretty unbearable working here. People are leaving in my team which means we're getting work from redundant employees and recent leavers.

I'm moving to Birmingham at the end of this month because living costs in London are too high and I'm currently the only one working. So we need to move into the family home to keep costs down.

Currently I will be commutting to London everyday for work (up at 5am won't get home until 8pm), which is unsustainable for the long term so I'm looking for work in Birmingham but sadly no luck yet.

I'm at my whits end with this company and I'm wondering if it would be worth finding a minimum wage job to meet the requirements of the FLR(M) application. Is it worth the risk or should I hold out until the application is accepted?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 09:38:34 AM »
What is your husband's situation?  Is he working?  What is his annual salary?

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 11:59:29 AM »
What is your husband's situation?  Is he working?  What is his annual salary?

He's currently looking for a job, no salary at the moment so we're living off of my wages for now.

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 12:03:42 PM »
He's currently looking for a job, no salary at the moment so we're living off of my wages for now.

I would stick with the current situation until you find something new.  Completely and totally have my sympathy.  But just make sure you can meet the financial requirement as your renewal is eminent. 

Fingers crossed a good opportunity comes your way ASAP!!!

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 12:12:51 PM »
I would stick with the current situation until you find something new.  Completely and totally have my sympathy.  But just make sure you can meet the financial requirement as your renewal is eminent. 

Fingers crossed a good opportunity comes your way ASAP!!!

Thanks KFDancer, I'm trying really hard to keep my cool, just so frustrated at the moment. Not having the best of luck with the job hunt and my manager at work is being really difficult with me. Feel like I'm stuck in this job. But I'll try my best to keep my eyes on the goal (which is the visa). I'll just have to suffer for (hopefully) the short term.

Visa's are such a pain.

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 12:37:12 PM »

Visa's are such a pain.

Aren't they?  Big hugs.  Nothing worse than knowing you could quit and live comfortably for a few months while searching for something else.

Though actually - have you thought about being signed off as sick from the GP (stress)?

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 02:21:57 PM »
Aren't they?  Big hugs.  Nothing worse than knowing you could quit and live comfortably for a few months while searching for something else.

Though actually - have you thought about being signed off as sick from the GP (stress)?

Thank you, tell me about it I keep thinking "I could just go away and travel", but I have to keep reminding myself of the bigger picture.

I haven't actually considered that. I'm not sure how my company would handle that in all honesty. I do feel my mental health plummeting from the stress. I find myself spending every weekday morning convincing myself to get out of bed for work. I never used to feel like that at this company, but since the redundancy phase I've been miserable.

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 03:38:48 PM »
Thank you, tell me about it I keep thinking "I could just go away and travel", but I have to keep reminding myself of the bigger picture.

I haven't actually considered that. I'm not sure how my company would handle that in all honesty. I do feel my mental health plummeting from the stress. I find myself spending every weekday morning convincing myself to get out of bed for work. I never used to feel like that at this company, but since the redundancy phase I've been miserable.

It's worth considering.  UKVI will take your six months of pay PRIOR to the start of sick leave... so... you know.   ;)

It's there if you need it.

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 03:44:48 PM »
It's worth considering.  UKVI will take your six months of pay PRIOR to the start of sick leave... so... you know.   ;)

It's there if you need it.
Thanks KFDancer, I appreciate your support :-).

I have another update for y'all. I got an offer at another company and I think I'm going to take it!

Just confirming, gettting a new job so close to the FLR(M) application is not going to be an issue right? It's a steep drop in what I'm currently earning (£25k) but it still meets the requirements of the visa renewal if i recall correctly.

Please let me know if this is going to be an issue.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 03:47:51 PM »
Thanks KFDancer, I appreciate your support :-).

I have another update for y'all. I got an offer at another company and I think I'm going to take it!

Just confirming, gettting a new job so close to the FLR(M) application is not going to be an issue right? It's a steep drop in what I'm currently earning (£25k) but it still meets the requirements of the visa renewal if i recall correctly.

Please let me know if this is going to be an issue.

It's not an issue.  You'll have to apply Category B instead of A, but that just means you'll provide 12 months of evidence, rather than 6.  My husband started his new job 5 weeks before my ILR application.  No problems at all.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab