Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: First time filing US taxes....  (Read 1808 times)

• Liked: 6
Re: First time filing US taxes....
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 10:06:58 PM »
I came over in June of 2016. I tried doing the taxes myself, but found it all too confusing. Used one of the "Taxes for Expats" firms suggested on here. I knew I was getting a refund, so it was a no brainer given the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Who did you go with please?  I think the whole partial tax year thing for me is too confusing and I have anxiety as time gets closer for filing deadlines.
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Liked: 9
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 10:52:48 PM »
Who did you go with please?  I think the whole partial tax year thing for me is too confusing and I have anxiety as time gets closer for filing deadlines.
http://www.taxesforexpats.com/index.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Liked: 102
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 10:18:28 AM »
Golden Rules for choosing a tax preparer (if you decide you need one):
1. QUALIFICATIONS
Do not be shy! Ask if they are members of professional bodies in both the US and UK and if so, which ones and for how long.
2. COST
Ask what they charge!
3. COMFORT
Pick one who is dual US/UK qualified (so you know that the tax preparer is regulated in both the US and the UK) and who you feel you can get on with. This is personal choice so call a few firms before deciding...

• Liked: 7
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 04:50:38 PM »
Me too. This is exactly why I love this forum. Y'all know so much! This is my first year filing too. Terrified to be honest. I work full time, since May 2017, so I have to file taxes. I see y'all talk about TurboTax. I assume, the Delux edition? It's not free, so I don't want to buy it unless it's that good. I would rather buy it and get this done right than not, know you? Should be straightforward. I've got a bank account here, but there's never more than 2,000 in there and I haven't got anything else (we're military, so military housing and such).

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 08:13:05 PM »
Me too. This is exactly why I love this forum. Y'all know so much! This is my first year filing too. Terrified to be honest. I work full time, since May 2017, so I have to file taxes. I see y'all talk about TurboTax. I assume, the Delux edition? It's not free, so I don't want to buy it unless it's that good. I would rather buy it and get this done right than not, know you? Should be straightforward. I've got a bank account here, but there's never more than 2,000 in there and I haven't got anything else (we're military, so military housing and such).
As military you'll be covered by SOFA. Does TurboTax handle SOFA well? Does SOFA change much tax-wise at all from when you were based on US soil?

• Liked: 7
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2018, 08:47:11 PM »
Not US military- so no sofa. Husband is RAF. (I’m usn vet and familiar with sofa lol). We just live in uk military housing so we dont pay a morgage

• Liked: 424
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 05:37:34 PM »
Alrighty......finally got my P60 and I’m going to file my taxes but.....I assume that I need to convert the money I have earned here to US dollars. What conversion rate should I use to satisfy good old Uncle Sam?

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 07:40:16 PM »
Alrighty......finally got my P60 and I’m going to file my taxes but.....I assume that I need to convert the money I have earned here to US dollars. What conversion rate should I use to satisfy good old Uncle Sam?
Why does a P60 help? Does your employer not provide monthly payslips?

• Liked: 718
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 08:13:05 PM »
Why does a P60 help? Does your employer not provide monthly payslips?

Exactly, you need to know the calendar year amount of money earned not the UK tax year.

HMRC publish exchange rates

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/exchange-rates-for-customs-and-vat
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 424
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 08:36:07 PM »
Exactly, you need to know the calendar year amount of money earned not the UK tax year.

HMRC publish exchange rates

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/exchange-rates-for-customs-and-vat
Thank you. I guess that I wrongly assumed that I would need the P60 as I would need the W2 from my US employment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 718
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 09:13:27 PM »
Thank you. I guess that I wrongly assumed that I would need the P60 as I would need the W2 from my US employment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Easily done, my son made the same mistake, and in fact lost his December statement so we had to calculate his year end salary using his January statement.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab