Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Croissan'wich!  (Read 2129 times)

• Liked: 1327
Croissan'wich!
« on: January 29, 2018, 12:45:05 PM »
You guys!  I don't live anywhere near a Burger King (which is generally considered A Good Thing™), and even if I did, I couldn't possibly get to one early enough for breakfast (I don't get along well with mornings).  But I used to love their ham, egg, and cheese croissan'wich back when I was a student and I had the unfortunate morning class start.  And I started craving them lately.  So last week, I bought Tesco (!!!) croissants and their packaged "shaved" ham, and found some fake cheese in the back of the 'fridge leftover from last summer (I'm not even joking... best by July 2017), made their neatly-folded egg thing and assembled my own ham, egg, and cheese croissan'wich.  It's better than Burger King.  My craving is satisfied.

9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1892
Re: Croissan'wich!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 12:56:45 PM »
Oh yeah! 
This is one of our go to breakfasts, a ham egg and cheese croissant. 
I never thought about the Burger King connection though.

Did you make a little omelette out of that egg?  I like them fried with a runny yolk.

Did I mention that we had a BK mint milkshake the other day? It was super good, tasted like Creme de Menthe

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 01:11:26 PM »
You guys!  I don't live anywhere near a Burger King (which is generally considered A Good Thing™), and even if I did, I couldn't possibly get to one early enough for breakfast (I don't get along well with mornings).  But I used to love their ham, egg, and cheese croissan'wich back when I was a student and I had the unfortunate morning class start.  And I started craving them lately.  So last week, I bought Tesco (!!!) croissants and their packaged "shaved" ham, and found some fake cheese in the back of the 'fridge leftover from last summer (I'm not even joking... best by July 2017), made their neatly-folded egg thing and assembled my own ham, egg, and cheese croissan'wich.  It's better than Burger King.  My craving is satisfied.

Drool!!

Now if you master a re-creation of BK french toast sticks, I’m driving to Wales!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 01:11:45 PM »
Oh yeah! 

I have always wanted to ask, what does your wife think of British croissants/baguettes?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 01:19:57 PM »
I have always wanted to ask, what does your wife think of British croissants/baguettes?
She's generally OK with the quality of that stuff here.  I think that the Mark's and Spencer's made in store croissants are just as good as most you'll get in France.

When she's in France, she does get all French about bread, we can only buy from certain bakeries and NEVER from the supermarket, and we can never buy a baguette if we want to eat it tomorrow.  Here, the rules are relaxed.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 01:22:12 PM »
Oh yeah! 
I never thought about the Burger King connection though.

Did you make a little omelette out of that egg?  I like them fried with a runny yolk.

Did I mention that we had a BK mint milkshake the other day? It was super good, tasted like Creme de Menthe

I did make a little omelette out of the egg, yes!  That is how Burger King does their eggs for the Croissan'wich, and I wanted to recreate it as loyally as I could.  I think the only other thing I could have done to make mine more like the fast food version is wrap it in greaseproof paper for about 10 minutes before eating it, so it all just starts to go soggy from the trapped steam, and the flavours meld together a bit more... like Burger King would have done.  But, technically, mine was better.

I didn't know Burger King made mint milkshakes.  I love mint chip ice cream, so I assume I would like a mint milkshake.

Drool!!

Now if you master a re-creation of BK french toast sticks, I’m driving to Wales!

I think those would be trickier to recreate... the base 'bread' is almost cake-like, not so bread-like.  And I think they are deep-fried?  I haven't had them in so long, I can't remember!

I feel like maybe brioche cut into strips and dipped in an egg bath, then deep-fried would mimic it...?  Does that sound right?  I mean, even if it doesn't, it sounds tasty.  I'd eat that.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 01:55:18 PM »
Definitely deep fried.  I wouldn't even begin to be able to identify what type of bread it is, as it's been deep fried to hell and back!

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 02:33:29 PM »
Definitely deep fried.  I wouldn't even begin to be able to identify what type of bread it is, as it's been deep fried to hell and back!

My husband has wanted a deep-fat fryer even longer than I have (I came on board with the idea when I realize I could make egg rolls in it).  Now we have decided to go all-out and have it set into the worktop, so I can easily work with it at my diminutive 4'11"-on-a-good-day height... that means we can't get one 'til we're ready to make our kitchen. But when we do, I will experiment with French Toast Sticks.  I'm pretty sure my husband won't mind sampling my attempts.  He loves the sweets and the maple syrup.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 03:17:19 PM »
Sometimes we make French toast with brioche, it's pretty good.  Even better sprinkled with frosting sugar.

Not sure about having a deep fryer.  It can't be a good habit to get into.  There's a reason I don't have an ice cream machine as well.  Actually I do, but it's in the shed and someone has to crank it for 30 minutes.

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 03:37:53 PM »
Sometimes we make French toast with brioche, it's pretty good.  Even better sprinkled with frosting sugar.

Not sure about having a deep fryer.  It can't be a good habit to get into.  There's a reason I don't have an ice cream machine as well.  Actually I do, but it's in the shed and someone has to crank it for 30 minutes.

But there are so many things we need to make with our deep fryer... proper chips, egg rolls, french toast sticks, chimichanga... I'd like to make copycat chick-fil-a nuggets (I understand the secrets are to brine the chicken in dill pickle juice, and add a bit of sugar to the crumb coating)... and once we have the fryer, we'll be able to do whatever else strikes us as interesting.  Oh!  Fried ravioli!  Mygawd, I had that at an amusement park in St. Louis when I was 17, and it was amazing... I'd like to have it again.

We'll likely have an ice cream machine, too, eventually.  My husband said he used to make ice cream, and he misses it.  And I like a dollop of vanilla ice cream in my coffee (along with a splash of whisky, a bigger splash of amaretto, and a nice dose of hazelnut liquer... I promise there is coffee in all of that!).

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 03:49:16 PM »
 how about jalapeno poppers?  Those would be on my list.  And fried ice cream if you've got the machine going.  You could turn your house into a TGIFridays.  All right, I'm back on board.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 04:02:58 PM »
how about jalapeno poppers?  Those would be on my list.  And fried ice cream if you've got the machine going.  You could turn your house into a TGIFridays.  All right, I'm back on board.

Oooh, yes... Sonic's Ched'r Peppers.  I miss those.  I didn't go to Sonic as often as I should have/could have.

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 01:39:49 PM »
Jimbo, what kind of cheese does your wife accept in your ham, egg, and cheese croissants?  I am pretty sure it's not fake cheese.  ;)

I ask because I remember a breakfast sandwich I had rather frequently in the 90s from a fastfood place... it was ham & something on a grilled sourdough bread.  It couldn't have been swiss because I don't think I would've liked that back then.  But maybe it was.  Anyway, it melted nicely, and it had a nice almost-sweet flavour, and I think it would be nice on my croissan'wich, but I don't know what it was.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 03:03:20 PM »

We'll likely have an ice cream machine, too, eventually.  My husband said he used to make ice cream, and he misses it.  And I like a dollop of vanilla ice cream in my coffee (along with a splash of whisky, a bigger splash of amaretto, and a nice dose of hazelnut liquer... I promise there is coffee in all of that!).

Ooh I like the way you think with coffee!

Ice cream machines are worth it! At my old house I had a little shelf I kept all my kitchen gadgets on. It worked well so I'm really hoping for the same in my new kitchen. I'll be spending some of the proceeds of the sale on my home on a new blendec or vitamix, an instant pot, maybe a stand mixer, and an ice cream maker. They make life much easier and tastier. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 03:21:51 PM »
Jimbo, what kind of cheese does your wife accept in your ham, egg, and cheese croissants?  I am pretty sure it's not fake cheese.  ;)

I ask because I remember a breakfast sandwich I had rather frequently in the 90s from a fastfood place... it was ham & something on a grilled sourdough bread.  It couldn't have been swiss because I don't think I would've liked that back then.  But maybe it was.  Anyway, it melted nicely, and it had a nice almost-sweet flavour, and I think it would be nice on my croissan'wich, but I don't know what it was.
You are right, there's very little fake cheese in our house except for the smoked plastic cheese
(Tesco Austrian Smoked Processed Cheese 125G)

But I digress. You are describing this :

PRÉSIDENT EMMENTAL SWISS

Pressed, hard cheese with distinctive holes and nutty, sweet flavor. Made from pasteurized milk of grass-fed cows in the northwestern region of France

A huge favourite of mine.

Sponsored Links