Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Rocket Launch Tonight at 6:30  (Read 1540 times)

• Liked: 1891
Rocket Launch Tonight at 6:30
« on: February 06, 2018, 12:50:10 PM »

Tonight at 6:30, Elon Musk is going to launch the biggest rocket we've seen in a long time.  Even better, there's nothing on it but a red convertible Tesla that will be launched into a solar orbit, playing Major Tom for next billion years.

You guys should try to tune in, it's going to be an interesting one no matter what.

• Liked: 957
Re: Rocket Launch Tonight at 6:30
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 01:15:33 PM »
Tonight at 6:30, Elon Musk is going to launch the biggest rocket we've seen in a long time.  Even better, there's nothing on it but a red convertible Tesla that will be launched into a solar orbit, playing Major Tom for next billion years.

You guys should try to tune in, it's going to be an interesting one no matter what.
Planning on it! I have a friend who works for space x so he's been posting random things about it for the past week. It'll be interesting for sure. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 149
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 02:46:05 PM »
Yep.....if I remember.
Fred

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 11:32:46 PM »
It. Was. AMAZING!  seeing the first two boosters come back home was the stuff of sci-fi.  It was better than anything Hollywood ever produced.  I'm sad about the center core, but two out of three ain't bad, and everything else went so brilliantly.  Just an incredible feat.  And so many little 'cute' touches... did you know there's a towel in the glove box of the Tesla?  A TOWEL!  Gawd, I'm in geek heaven.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 716
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 08:12:01 AM »
It. Was. AMAZING!  seeing the first two boosters come back home was the stuff of sci-fi.  It was better than anything Hollywood ever produced.  I'm sad about the center core, but two out of three ain't bad, and everything else went so brilliantly.  Just an incredible feat.  And so many little 'cute' touches... did you know there's a towel in the glove box of the Tesla?  A TOWEL!  Gawd, I'm in geek heaven.

I loved seeing the launch and in particular the return landing of the 2 boosters. I saw also that the display on the Tesla is set to DON’T PANIC, plus the glovebox held a copy of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and the towel will have been a nod to the towel carried by Arthur Dent in that book.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 163
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 08:16:27 AM »
I watched it live last night, and then showed it to my 4-year old and 2-year old this morning. That was the coolest thing I've seen in a while.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 10:44:18 AM »
I agree, it was completely, unbelievably cool. 
This image has not been photoshopped either, absolutely real. This is our future and I like it.

The only thing I can't get into is all that hitchhikers guide stuff.  I've never enjoyed any of that, I find it baffling and annoying.  I also REALLY dislike being told not to panic and if I were in that car the first order of business would be to punch that screen until it went away.

I haven't seen anything as cool since Felix Bumgardner parachuted from outer space.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 12:12:23 PM »
Live shot from the car in space.

[edited to add] I can't believe I just typed "live shot from the car in space" and all of those things are true. I'm really enjoying the 21st century so far.  :)

[youtube]https://youtu.be/aBr2kKAHN6M[/youtube]
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:10:05 PM by camoscato »

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 12:17:22 PM »
I agree, it was completely, unbelievably cool. 
This image has not been photoshopped either, absolutely real. This is our future and I like it.

The only thing I can't get into is all that hitchhikers guide stuff.  I've never enjoyed any of that, I find it baffling and annoying.  I also REALLY dislike being told not to panic and if I were in that car the first order of business would be to punch that screen until it went away.

I haven't seen anything as cool since Felix Bumgardner parachuted from outer space.

The Hitchhikers Guide is a cult thing from a radio show in the 70's. We started to listen to the original broadcast in our first ever house on our first stereo in 1978 and like many things you either love it or hate it.  Elon obviously loves the books.

I can't imagine DON'T PANIC being one of the standard displays put up on a Tesla, obviously something done just for this.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 12:17:39 PM »
This is when we are in the US annually.  We always travel the last weekend in January and stay for two weeks.  Every year we look to see if there is a rocket launch while we are there and there never is.

My husband is DEVASTATED that we are not in Florida this year and that we didn't get to go watch this launch. 

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 02:09:59 PM »
This is when we are in the US annually.  We always travel the last weekend in January and stay for two weeks.  Every year we look to see if there is a rocket launch while we are there and there never is.

My husband is DEVASTATED that we are not in Florida this year and that we didn't get to go watch this launch.

That really is a bummer, I'm sure your husband would have loved to have been in the crowd waving their towels at blast off and on the return landings of 2 of the booster rockets. I understand the 3rd rocket was due to land on a pontoon boat at sea but that landing failed.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 02:24:15 PM »

My daughter flew out to watch it.

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 02:36:38 PM »
What??!!!  Is she a massive space geek?  What was her experience like?  Could she see as much as we could?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 02:44:06 PM »

Very cool!  Was she able to get tickets to the seated viewing or did she watch from a local spot? 

I am fortunate enough to have seen many space shuttle launches and many more rocket launches.  But they NEVER get old.  At work we would be in meetings and get word that we were officially on at T minus 9 so no turning back.  We'd all flood outside to watch the shuttle launch.  There was always a grumpy old man or two who wouldn't go outside and say, "You've seen one launch, you've seen them all."  SOOOOOO not true. 

I've only had seated tickets to aborted launches!  You don't want me to get a ticket.   ;D

• Liked: 342
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 02:53:19 PM »
Very cool!  Was she able to get tickets to the seated viewing or did she watch from a local spot? 

She is an astrophysicist, so she usually stands in the press area for the launches.

You don't want me to get a ticket.   ;D

If she can get tickets, I want one first.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 03:01:36 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links