Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My daughter met her sister for the first time  (Read 1338 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: My daughter met her sister for the first time
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 11:41:08 AM »
This is only my opinion, not fact at all, but it appears to me they're cutting more and more and more general music out of schools means that kids aren't getting a wide appreciation for all types of music. 
Music guides the moments in our lives, but we don't value it enough to actually teach it. It's shocking.   Even if you don't want to be a musician, learning music can help with cognitive processing, critical thinking, and a wider appreciation for the arts in general. Amongst other things.... 

And, well, tweens tend to listen to a lot of pop,  because that's what all their friends are listening to. And they 'learn' this stuff from dance classes, the school disco, it's what's playing in the shop.  I don't have anything like sky or even freeview, does MTV even exist anymore?   
Then teens tend to rebel and find something else. Especially if their parents like something, they will find the opposite way.  Or well, in the case of me, I actually found great music to rebel against the pop shite my friends were all listening to and what they played at the school disco.    Teens then do find their identity of classic rock or indie or pop or hip hop or rap or R&B or country or dub or ska or classical or jazz, but again usually from their friends.  Hmmm......... 

Maybe your daughter will come around.  Play lots and lots of good music and she may actually like it one day!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 12:48:19 PM »
The other day I played "God Save the Queen" by the sex pistols to my kids and their friends and I thought they were going to call Child line!  They listen to such bland junk so a bit of punk blew them away.

Phatbeetle, you would like my wife as she shares your love of the Grateful Dead.  At one time, she could sing a really good "Ripple" on the acoustic guitar with a French accent. 

If you ever meet her, don't mention the plastic...

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 01:59:42 PM »
This is only my opinion, not fact at all, but it appears to me they're cutting more and more and more general music out of schools means that kids aren't getting a wide appreciation for all types of music. 
Music guides the moments in our lives, but we don't value it enough to actually teach it. It's shocking.   Even if you don't want to be a musician, learning music can help with cognitive processing, critical thinking, and a wider appreciation for the arts in general. Amongst other things.... 

And, well, tweens tend to listen to a lot of pop,  because that's what all their friends are listening to. And they 'learn' this stuff from dance classes, the school disco, it's what's playing in the shop.  I don't have anything like sky or even freeview, does MTV even exist anymore?   
Then teens tend to rebel and find something else. Especially if their parents like something, they will find the opposite way.  Or well, in the case of me, I actually found great music to rebel against the pop shite my friends were all listening to and what they played at the school disco.    Teens then do find their identity of classic rock or indie or pop or hip hop or rap or R&B or country or dub or ska or classical or jazz, but again usually from their friends.  Hmmm......... 

Maybe your daughter will come around.  Play lots and lots of good music and she may actually like it one day!

MTV exists...  ish.  They don’t show anything related to music anymore.  They have two big shows, Teen Mom and Catfish.  That’s all that’s on.  It’s baaaad.

• Liked: 82
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 08:22:14 PM »
What a great story.

Doesn't agree that you go for people with similar features, even as far as looking like/acting like a parent or relative that you admired dearly. My husband and father act identical to each other (my daddy is my absolute hero) and I am the image of my mother in law when she was my age (we only realised this at her funeral when people brought photos of her for her memory board)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 223
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 08:48:21 PM »
I am the image of my mother in law when she was my age (we only realised this at her funeral when people brought photos of her for her memory board)

This could be a compliment, but I experienced it at my aunt's funeral when I was a teen and it was so weird.

My aunt's friends (who I'd only just met at the funeral) kept telling me that I looked just like her.

I've been told I looked like all the women on one side of my family, including my grandma, at some stage in my life. I was even told I sounded like one aunt when I was younger. But being told this at said aunt's funeral as a teen was a bit different. ::)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 12:14:17 PM by TravelingFrog »
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 768
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 08:55:15 PM »
My niece married a man that looked just like her dad. Identical to him when he was younger. She couldn't see it until they were divorced then she's like, "Oh gross!" Lmfao

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links