Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hey everyone I am new! Am I realistic to want to move and work in the UK?  (Read 1965 times)

• Liked: 3589
Re: Hey everyone I am new! Am I realistic to want to move and work in the UK?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 05:31:57 PM »
I was actually talking about lecturers and I'm amazed at those numbers.  Considering the lecturers I know have been at it for more than 10 years and are lucky to make a living wage.  However, I'll accept your research over my anecdote.  But, I find it hard to believe there's any professors making £107, 0000 pa.

Those numbers came from Prospects.ac.uk - the graduate careers website.

One of my friends is a post-doc researcher at Bristol University, but I have no idea what kind of salary she is on. However, just looking at the job listings for Bristol Uni, it looks like Post-Doc research salaries start around £32,000 and lecturers around £36,000.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 05:40:08 PM »
hi! It has been fun in the uk, traveling and seeing everything. But I know that one day if I live here, it wont be that way. I will be doing the 9-5 life and probably wont travel much. But thats ok! I am having my fun now. I am trying to improve myself and figure out if I really want to live in this country. It is a goal of mine. I feel the need to be very defensive about my decision due to my moms anti-NHS comments and how she says its not all its cracked up to be.Especially since I am on her "dollar". Well guess what, life isnt all its cracked up to be! The UK has its issue and so does the US. It sends me into rage to think that I am, by family, constantly questioned for my decisions. I am even questioned by my mom about a pillow I bought at cadbury world. It is never-ending. She snoops through all my stuff and asks constant questions. Dont even get into relationships/sex/birth control with her, as she is very conservative and I have had to hide those affairs from her. To her I am not an adult and she doesnt treat me like one.  I am under an enormous amount of pressure. I can hardly stand it anymore and I just feel like doing what I want to do.

I'm sorry you're going through that with your mum :(. Feel free to be as defensive as you want to here :).

Everyone's different, I know, and you may not have any of the same issues I did... it was just a shock to me to realise that after 10 years of wanting to live in the US, and even after already living there once, that actually it wasn't what I thought it was going to be at all. I also ended up completely changing my career goals too... I went to the US at age 24 to become a seismologist so I could research earthquakes (my goal from age 15) and now at 34, I'm a meteorologist working on air force bases!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 05:48:19 PM »
I'm sorry you're going through that with your mum :(. Feel free to be as defensive as you want to here :).

Everyone's different, I know, and you may not have any of the same issues I did... it was just a shock to me to realise that after 10 years of wanting to live in the US, and even after already living there once, that actually it wasn't what I thought it was going to be at all. I also ended up completely changing my career goals too... I went to the US at age 24 to become a seismologist so I could research earthquakes (my goal from age 15) and now at 34, I'm a meteorologist working on air force bases!

Its ok, I am just not looking foward, if this goal of mine doesnt work out, to hearing her "I told you so" moment. I feel like the UK is how I expected it to be. And it is ok i think to not want to live in your home country. theres millions of people who are in america who were not born there. When my mother says stuff like "you dont need to leave the US, you have everything here. Why would u want to leave?" I can ask the Europeans, Asians, and African people in my nation the sam question. Theres opportunity everywhere. And I cannot have an ignorant person hold me back

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 09:43:22 AM »
Hello everyone! My name is Amanda. I am currently studying abroad in Wales. I love it here. The culture, way of life, politics, etc. I am currently studying International Relations. I would really love to be able to live and work in the UK. My career goals are to come back to the UK after I graduate college in 2019. I may take on an internship and work a min. wage job for a year after so I can collect enough money to live on. I am not concerned about costs of education as I have a $160,000+ inheritance which will go to the fees of a Masters and PHD in the UK. I want to be a lecturer in the uk in British politics , security, studies, or Intl. relations. I also wanna do research. I am a hard worker and I worked my butt of for 2 years to be able to be in this country right now. And I will do whatever it takes in order for me to do it again.

My mother doesnt like that I may do this. She is judgmental and has never left North America, hell shes lived in a 20 mile bubble her entire life. I already know my career goals will take me thousands of miles away from home, and maybe to the UK. I am not "UK or bust". I can work in America if I have to. but my mom always makes me feel guilty and emotionally blackmails me so it is difficult. I looked up that people with a PHD can be sponsored in the UK, and most UK unis are able to sponsor tier 2 visas. So,are s my goals realistic?

Hey! You weren't the person who posted on Reddit were you? :D If so, glad to see you came over to check out the forum in the end!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab