Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Changing name and FLR(M) questions  (Read 2155 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Changing name and FLR(M) questions
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 10:10:12 AM »

I am reapplying with my maiden name passport, mostly because it is valid for the whole duration of my 5 years before ILR, and I am trying to be cheap and not change the US passport to the married name when I would rather just get  rid of it all together and work toward naturalization when the time comes.

Unless you are planning to actively renounce/relinquish your US citizenship, or never plan to visit there again, you'll still need to have a US passport. It's a legal requirement that US citizens enter and leave the US on their US passport.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:17:09 AM by larrabee »

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 10:25:18 AM »
I am reapplying with my maiden name passport, mostly because it is valid for the whole duration of my 5 years before ILR, and I am trying to be cheap and not change the US passport to the married name when I would rather just get rid of it all together and work toward naturalization when the time comes.

Hopefully this won't cause me grief - I did list under 'other names by which you have been known' Me Married as well as Me Divorced  ;)

One word of caution regarding passport names and applying for UK citizenship - you now have to apply for citizenship in the name on your US passport (you used to be able to decide what name you used for naturalisation, but they changed it a couple of years ago).

So if you want your UK passport to have your married name in it, your options are:

Step 1: change your name on your US passport either within the 3 months before applying for FLR(M) or the 3 months before applying for ILR, so that your visa is issued in your married name
Step 2: Apply for your UK citizenship and UK passport in your married name.

or

Step 1: keep your US passport and visas in your maiden name
Step 2: apply for your UK citizenship and UK passport in your maiden name.
Step 3: change your name on your US passport
Step 4: change your name on your UK passport (you have to pay the UK passport fee again)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:27:06 AM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 2
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 12:52:32 PM »
I would like to get rid of my US citizenship when the time comes.  I know it is something stupid like $2,350.  Probably go the route of all the applications in maiden name, renounce citizenship, then change out my UK passport (if and when we get there).
June 13th: Married  June 14th: Applied online
June 18th: Biometrics and posted documents
July 8th:  Retroactively upgraded to Priority
July 10th: Email with decision and documents shipped

Feb 1: Here we go again
April 5: Sent off FLR(M)
June 4: I've got another 30 months!

• Liked: 30
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 05:38:17 PM »
I talked with my Husband and parents about whether it is worth it to do priority, and we decided that it makes more sense to apply by mail since I cant even make a priority appointment until I get my new passport. Does anyone have a quick checklist of what needs to be included? We will be applying under category A I believe (6 months of sponsor being at his current employer) living at his nannys house with his parents. I am planning on starting to collect documents now since I am expecting to receive my new passport in 2-3 weeks and want to apply as soon as possible after. His HR department is painfully slow so I am thinking we should request the employment letter and letter endorsing his pay stubs(he has to print them himself). Is there anything else we can begin working on now?
Met: Aug 2013
Started Dating: Oct 2013
Engaged: Sept 2017
Online app submitted: 17 Oct 2017
Biometrics & mailed in: 20 Oct 2017
Received by Sheffield: 23 Oct 2017
Decision email:

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 05:43:39 PM »
Does anyone have a quick checklist of what needs to be included?

For the most part, all the documents you need are listed on the FLR(M) application form. However, it is vague with the financial and accommodation documents.

We will be applying under category A I believe (6 months of sponsor being at his current employer) living at his nannys house with his parents.

Okay, so for the finances, you need:
Mandatory:
- 6 full months of sponsor's original payslips showing £1,550 before tax on each one, the most recent must be dated within 28 days of your application date
- 6 full months of sponsor's original bank statements showing the deposit of every payslip, the most recent must be dated within 28 days of your application date
- a letter from his employer, dated within 28 days of your application date, stating all of the following:
1) current employment and salary
2) length of employment
3) length of time earning current salary
4) type of employment (full/part-time, permanent/temporary)
Optional but recommended:
- original job contract
- latest P60

For the accommodation, you'll need:
- Land Registry document
- letter from homeowner giving you permission to live there, along with total rooms and total number of occupants, stating it won't be overcrowded
Optional:
- latest original mortgage statement

Everything else you need should all be listed on the application form.

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 05:44:52 PM »
I talked with my Husband and parents about whether it is worth it to do priority, and we decided that it makes more sense to apply by mail since I cant even make a priority appointment until I get my new passport. Does anyone have a quick checklist of what needs to be included? We will be applying under category A I believe (6 months of sponsor being at his current employer) living at his nannys house with his parents. I am planning on starting to collect documents now since I am expecting to receive my new passport in 2-3 weeks and want to apply as soon as possible after. His HR department is painfully slow so I am thinking we should request the employment letter and letter endorsing his pay stubs(he has to print them himself). Is there anything else we can begin working on now?

Presuming your financial category and living arrangements are the same, you're going to need pretty much exactly the same documents as you used for your initial entry clearance visa, updated.
Just add your marriage certificate and your mail instead of the wedding planning  evidence.

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 03:30:42 PM »
NHS Question: How early can I pay the NHS fee and get a NHS number before applying for my FLR? I saw a GP today and they said they would apply for an NHS number for me, but since I haven't paid the fees yet I am not sure if they will be able to do that? I have no issue paying the NHS fee now with intent to apply for my FLR in 2-3 weeks if that is possible and would make registering with the GP easier. Since I am married now my US health insurance doesn't cover me anymore (was under my parents) so if I pay the NHS fee now does that mean I am covered by the NHS if I need something medically even though I haven't received my FLR(M)?

Thanks for the help everyone :)
Decision email:

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 03:37:04 PM »
NHS Question: How early can I pay the NHS fee and get a NHS number before applying for my FLR? I saw a GP today and they said they would apply for an NHS number for me, but since I haven't paid the fees yet I am not sure if they will be able to do that? I have no issue paying the NHS fee now with intent to apply for my FLR in 2-3 weeks if that is possible and would make registering with the GP easier. Since I am married now my US health insurance doesn't cover me anymore (was under my parents) so if I pay the NHS fee now does that mean I am covered by the NHS if I need something medically even though I haven't received my FLR(M)?

You won't be able to use the NHS without paying until your FLR(M) is granted.  Be sure you request your GP to issue you a bill and a receipt for payment for the FLR(M) application.  :)

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 03:48:21 PM »

You can only pay the IHS as part of your visa application so won't be able to use the NHS for free until it is granted.

Nothing to stop you getting the NHS number but you will be treated as a visitor to the UK until then and will need to pay for services. It's 150% of the cost if you don't have insurance.

https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/uk-visitors/visiting-england/Pages/visitors-from-outside-the-eea.aspx

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2018, 09:30:38 PM »
I received my new passport today! So finally onto the visa planning. Before I print this huge document, can someone confirm that this is the correct application for me to use to switch from marriage(fiance) visa to FLR(M) mail application from within the UK?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/673011/family-spouse-04-17.pdf
Decision email:

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2018, 09:34:09 PM »
I received my new passport today! So finally onto the visa planning. Before I print this huge document, can someone confirm that this is the correct application for me to use to switch from marriage(fiance) visa to FLR(M) mail application from within the UK?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/673011/family-spouse-04-17.pdf

Yes, that's the correct form :).

They do occasionally update the form to a new version (the current version is April 2017), so right before you actually mail it off, just double-check the website to make sure they haven't published a 2018 form... as they will only accept the most up-to-date version.

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2018, 09:42:53 PM »
Yes, that's the correct form :).

They do occasionally update the form to a new version (the current version is April 2017), so right before you actually mail it off, just double-check the website to make sure they haven't published a 2018 form... as they will only accept the most up-to-date version.

Typical UKVI😒 I'm planning to mail it out next week so hopefully I will be ok, but I will definitely check before I send it off. Thanks for the tip!
Decision email:

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 05:43:55 PM »
quick question- can the employment letter that states his salary/length of employment/ect also include a sentence stating his pay slips are authentic or do they need to be 2 separate letters? He prints his pay stubs at work so he needs HR to state they are authentic.

Also, they sent him the letter via email this time. It doesn't have our address on it and is digitally signed which I am assuming wont work? They need to send it in the mail with a hand signed signature correct?
Decision email:

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 05:52:27 PM »
It needs to be original with a wet signature. An emailed copy will not be acceptable.

You can combine them both into one letter - no need to have two separate letters :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2018, 04:35:02 PM »
I am filling out the FLR form now and am documenting questions as I come across them! Some I am fairly sure I know the answer but would love to have a second opinion to calm my nerves.

2.2 Is this the first time you have applied for a visa or extension of stay in one of the above categories (including previous leave granted as a fiance) with your current sponsor?

Answer: no? Since I came to the UK on a marriage (fiance) visa?

2.3 Should I be checking :
"First period of leave to remain (following an initial period of entry clearance as a partner of a settled person, or person who is in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection, or as a child of a person who has limited leave as the partner of settled person, or following an initial period of entry clearance as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of a settled person - 6 months)."
or
"Further period of leave following a previous grant of leave to remain as a partner of a settled person or person who is in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection, as a child of a person who has limited leave as the partner of settled person, or following an initial period of entry clearance as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of a settled person - 6 months)"

6.8- Add all addresses you and your sponsor have lived at in the 2 years preceding this
application if you have lived at your current address with your sponsor for less than 2 years.

Do I leave this blank since we lived apart until December 2017 and have since stayed at our current address? Or do I list our current address?

Side question: Is it just me or does everything look like its spelled wrong when written in block capitals?

6.33 6.33 Do you and your sponsor have any shared financial responsibilities?
My husband pays our rent, phone bills and pretty much anything else we need since I haven't been able to open a bank account yet (but I have transferred USD into his account so I'm not using his money). I'm assuming I answer yes here? and for details, do I just list rent, phone bills, misc expenses? Our rent is to his parents and they cover food and bills so we don't directly pay for those things.

7.3A viii and xiii are asking about previous employers, but my husband doesn't have any others in the last 12 months. Do I just leave these blank?
and below it says "You and your sponsor’s total combined income from salaried employment?", is that before or after tax? Since I cant work on my current visa, this would be just his income?
Decision email:

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab