Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cat lady for life!  (Read 32317 times)

• Liked: 4985
Cat lady for life!
« on: February 14, 2018, 04:36:07 PM »
17 years ago today I got the best Valentine in the world - Sobe!  I’ll never have another Valentine as sweet. 

Re: Cat lady for life!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 04:37:45 PM »
My boy. 

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 04:49:04 PM »
He is lovely!

When I was doing my graduate studies, I was given a kitten with similar coat/markings... I tried very hard with her, but she did not adjust well to new surroundings or people, and I returned her to her family (my cousin's cat had kittens) when I learned the hard way that I would not be able to leave her with pet sitters when I traveled during school breaks.  But she was adorable!  She was a little b@da$$, too.  Didn't take nothin' from no one... which was the problem.   ::)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 05:00:01 PM »
Gorgeous!  :D

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 05:14:06 PM »
He's the best.

He got up with my husband this morning (he's an early riser).  Husband closed the bedroom door behind him.  He said Sobe lasted about 5 minutes before pacing by the bedroom door to come back in with me.

I'm so funny about him.  I return to work on Monday.  Not worried about the kids in the slightest.  SO worried about leaving the stinking cat on his own!

We are going to let our vet know that we would be open to adopting an old cat that needs rehoming (if owners have passed, etc.).  He needs a lazy lump of a friend.  Copper would have been fine on her own.  Sobe needs a pal.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 05:22:00 PM »
He's the best.

He got up with my husband this morning (he's an early riser).  Husband closed the bedroom door behind him.  He said Sobe lasted about 5 minutes before pacing by the bedroom door to come back in with me.

I'm so funny about him.  I return to work on Monday.  Not worried about the kids in the slightest.  SO worried about leaving the stinking cat on his own!

We are going to let our vet know that we would be open to adopting an old cat that needs rehoming (if owners have passed, etc.).  He needs a lazy lump of a friend.  Copper would have been fine on her own.  Sobe needs a pal.

That's awesome!  Good for you!  ;D

• Liked: 248
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 07:54:12 PM »
My oldest came to live with me in 2002.  I made a promise to her then that I would look after her and she would come home to England with me when I left.  Last year she made the journey to England from Saudi Arabia and strutted out that carrier when she arrived as if she did that journey every day.  She is black but I now see a smattering of grey hair.  Yes, I admit, I do spoil her with the excuse that she is an older lady and has earned it.

She is the smallest, as well as the oldest, of my herd (of 7) but they know she is the Queen and treat her accordingly.

Kittens are wonderful, fully grown felines bring so much fun with them, and then the older puss purrs contentment.

If you do get an older cat to join your present cat then take your time on the introductions and it should go well.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 08:34:17 PM »
Me and my constant companion. Pedro Felix.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 09:26:16 PM »
Me and my constant companion. Pedro Felix.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

What a stud!

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 09:28:14 PM »
My oldest came to live with me in 2002.  I made a promise to her then that I would look after her and she would come home to England with me when I left.  Last year she made the journey to England from Saudi Arabia and strutted out that carrier when she arrived as if she did that journey every day.  She is black but I now see a smattering of grey hair.  Yes, I admit, I do spoil her with the excuse that she is an older lady and has earned it.

She is the smallest, as well as the oldest, of my herd (of 7) but they know she is the Queen and treat her accordingly.

Kittens are wonderful, fully grown felines bring so much fun with them, and then the older puss purrs contentment.

If you do get an older cat to join your present cat then take your time on the introductions and it should go well.

Exactly.  My only fear is if it doesn’t work.  Sobe loves other cats.  We would need a new addition to also want a companion.   :)

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 09:59:06 PM »
Ooh, can we post cat pictures?? I was never a cat person until we adopted our babies. They are Hester and Hugo and they are my floofy loves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 10:10:18 PM »
Ooh, can we post cat pictures?? I was never a cat person until we adopted our babies. They are Hester and Hugo and they are my floofy loves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floofy love is the best kind of love!

Gorgeous kitties!

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 10:44:29 PM »
Is there anything better than looking at cat pictures?  And they are some handsome pusses.

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 10:52:49 PM »
If you get a rescue cat the place you get it from will give you a good idea if it is a sociable cat or not.  If it is an older one, then probably it is used to a loving home and is now in the situation where someone has died or can no longer keep it - and so is looking for some love and comfort in its old age. 

I have had the "interesting" challenge of bringing new cats into our herd.  Take your time.  Keep them apart in separate rooms.  Let them know the other cat is there - they can smell them under the door usually.  See how they respond.  And - don't give up.  I know people who have taken a second cat and within 48 hours taken it to be put to sleep because the first cat didn't accept it.

Our two oldest boys hated each other.  I mean drawing blood and rolling on the ground.  It took a while.  They now sleep with each other.

And others have met and fell in love instantly!

I am always impressed when someone is willing to take an older cat.  They are often overlooked and have so much love to give.

Sorry -  I am rambling.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 10:54:50 PM »
Missing having a kitty. Here is one of the last photos of our last furball, in her 20th winter. She just loved that fireplace, so I kept it going most nights that winter. She joined us as a 4 week old stray from the pound. (Had to bribe them with a $20 to let us have her, as they were going to put her down - policy was that they didn't adopt out kittens that young.) She hid under the stove for a few weeks, and every day I got down on the floor with a bowl of boiled chicken and coaxed her out.  We think she had been a feral.

In her last days she was the sweetest old thing - got me up every day at 5:30am because that is when I had gotten up for most of her life. Of course, I didn't have to roll out of bed until 6:30am anymore, but she took her job seriously. And on weekends and holidays. Her meow, at the end, sounded like she'd smoked 5 packs a day for a decade. She was just the most affectionate little thing....  :-\\\\

I really miss that cat. As soon as we find out 1) if Brexit is going to work for us, and 2) if the Daughter is not allergic to cats, we hope to find a nice older one to bring home and keep me company all day.

So nice to see the photos of everyone's cats! :)

Sponsored Links